“Loved the atmosphere, staff was super friendly, needs updating” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center

The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Bloomington
Bloomingdale, IL
“Loved the atmosphere, staff was super friendly, needs updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

I think this hotel is so beautiful. When you pull up, it's like entering a castle. They have gorgeous antiques all throughout the main floor. A beautiful indoor water fountain and a very cozy and elegant seating area with a fire going. Marble counter tops, and lovely chandeliers. I'm a big fan of medieval things, so this hotel just sings with me.

Slept in a 2 queen bed non smoking room. Clean, each bed had 3 giant pillows, There are 2 sinks in the room. 1 in the actual bathroom, and 1 outside the bathroom. (This is a big plus to me, because I can't stand hotel rooms with just 1 sink outside the bathroom). A mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker in the room, with some cable channels.
Beds were fairly comfortable and the heater worked a little too well.

A decent breakfast buffet was included with my stay. Eggs, french toast, sausage, potatoes, waffles, variety of baked goods, and a waitress that will bring you your drink. What was even better is you could take as much as you wanted with you to eat in your room. Everything but the sausage was very yummy.

They have an indoor pool and hot tub. The pool starts at 3 feet. This hotel is not really designed with small children in mind.

I did not give 5 stars though, for several reasons.

The restaurant was undergoing remodeling, and was closed. I don't have a problem with that specifically, but it was never mentioned, till trying to go down for a nice dinner. Even asked where the restaurant was and got pointed in the right direction, with no mention of it not serving dinner. No signs. You still go there for breakfast however. Went to the lounge instead, and was not impressed with the pizza and onions rings.

There is a run down feel to the place. Wobbly tables, fading floor, cracked glass. It's still a beautiful atmosphere, but does need some updating.

The elevator closed on me. This is my biggest complaint. I was trying to hold the elevator open, and it completely closed on me. Actually had to shove it back open. Very scary. The staff was apologetic, but did nothing else to make amends. Said they would hang up a sign.

The walls are paper thin. I could hear every door slam. Woke up my 2 year old several times through out the night. Heck it specifically woke me up twice, and I'm a heavy sleeper. People yelling at each other could be heard as well.

The phone line was weird. It was like using 2 lines at the exact same time. I called home, and while it was ringing, my voice mail picked up. It actually recorded the entire conversation I had with my husband. Did this every time I called someone. Whether it was the front desk, or an outside line.There are 2 phones in the room and both did this.

My final complaint is the auditoriums heat was broken. Felt like they had air conditioning going. Very cold. Got it semi working, but it never warmed up enough for me to be comfortable.

Despite these issues I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jafitzen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

I've stayed in this hotel countless times on business. This is who my company books for my hotel! The staff is very friendly, however if I had a choice I WOULD NOT stay here. It looks like your walking into a horror movie. They have a random confessional in the lobby, not in use... Just there. The rooms aren't that clean and all around this hotel makes you want to run in the opposite direction. Everything is very old about it. I can see they are trying to update things but they're not their yet! Think twice before booking here.

Room Tip: The only tip I have is not to stay here.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Caressia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Stayed here one night. It's a bit on the creepy side, for me, but overall, a nice place. A restaurant and nice breakfast bar are available- however, ask if breakfast is included in the room price. The furnishings were a bit on the dated side, but, I think that's what they're going for. Lots of antiques to look at. Big tvs in the rooms, microwaves and fridges too!

• Stayed October 2011
Estero, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I felt like I was being hazed when my colleague suggested I stay at the Chateau in Bloomington, IL. I am from Florida and did not want to offend anyone so I stayed the first night out of my five night stay. My trip started with the concierge giving me the key to someone else's room. The carpet was filthy. I did not even want to walk around barefoot. The shower had residue from the guest before me. The staff was VERY friendly. But I felt sorry for them having to work in this environment. This is a perfect example of a boutique hotel gone horrible wrong.

Room Tip: Get a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank Christina C C
Joliet, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

The hotel has zero standards on upkeep, cleanliness, and service. There's a breakfast buffet which is not good and they even put out spoiled milk. The carpets in the hallways are something you'd find in a residence hall of a College University heavily stained. The air conditioner was completely iced over and not working in the room. The beds were extremely uncomfortable and the decor is far outdated. The bathrooms are cramped with 7 foot ceilings. I highly recommend staying somewhere else and would not recommend this hotel to anyone. If you do come here, bring yourself a pressure washer and soap to clean up what's right under their noses. Disgusting.....including the mold around the door to the entrance to the pool.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Jackson S
Portage, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We called in a last minute reservation, got a free upgrade due to availablility and vouchers for free breakfast buffet. Decor is beautiful - very unusual antiques throughout and an old world feel with really wide hallways. Room was spacious and bed comfortable - fridge and microwave in the room. Breakfast buffet was a bit disappointing, but not bad for free. Exercise equipment was showing wear and not state of the art these are the reasons for the lower rating. Will stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JLuchies
Monmouth, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

This is a nice hotel with a 19th century French atmosphere. They did a great job collecting unique antiques from the period. The rooms were larger than average and also had the French decor. The hotel bar had great food specials but it was pretty basic food. The breakfast buffet was included in the room charge. The gym was ok with a universal cable weight machine and a couple of aerobic machines. But all-in-all this is probably the nicest hotel in Bloomington/Normal, especially if you want something a little out of the ordinary. My room has a 2/3 size refrigerator and large closets. They also have an indoor pool and hot tub.

Room Tip: Ask about food and drink specials in the bar.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
2.5 km away
5.2 km away
Residence Inn Bloomington
Residence Inn Bloomington
#5 of 22 in Bloomington

Been to The Chateau Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!