“Excellent Hibachi Alternative”

Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S County Line Rd.
Reviewed October 3, 2017

Usually, it's hard to find a place with Hibachi availability at the last minute, so we decided to try Dao and see how they were and we were pleasantly surprised.

This place wasn't very busy in the hibachi section of the restaurant, so seating was easy and we had plenty of space. The service from our table-chef was great. He was quite skilled and entertaining, but the waiter who took the orders seemed a bit spaced out and we sometimes had to repeat orders multiple times and was slow on bringing refills of drinks.

The food was tasty, as you would expect from Hibachi. We actually really enjoyed their sauces, which are a bit stronger flavored than some other locations. The noodles were also quite different, with more of a ramen type thin texture than the usual lo-mein you find at other restuarants.

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience, but I couldn't give full marks for a few issues. If you have food allergies, be watchful. Though he caught himself, our chef almost contaminated a person's meal with a shellfish allergy and you could see his moment of 'oh crap what do I do'. Also, the soup isn't the traditional hibachi soup, but miso. Alas, I don't care for miso soup at all.

Reviewed September 12, 2017

I came at lunch on a Friday. It appeared to be very understaffed. The waiters were moving at all times, but my service was subpar. My bento box was ok, but several items were "cool" at best. I would not return.

Reviewed August 29, 2017 via mobile

First time in and we loved it .
Can't wait to go back and try hibachi grill .
Tuna was outstanding .
#weeatlikeKINGS
I'll be back forsure

Reviewed May 29, 2017

I visited for lunch and ordered a bento box. The food was good but I found the service lacking. The price was appropriate for the portions. The environment is inviting and relaxing.

Reviewed April 24, 2017

Our party of four enjoyed having our sons birthday dinner at Dao Sushi in Oak Brook. The sushi was good and it was reasonably priced. What really disappointed me was a charge of $18 for a simple martini. I don't understand a restaurant would charge such a high amount for house spirits. This is not the Ritz! What a way to drive off an otherwise satisfied customer. I tried to send an email to the restaurant but their email box was full so they are not accepting comments.

Ken Douglas