“Good mostly outweighs the bad” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream

Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carol Stream
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Good mostly outweighs the bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

I think I was maybe expecting a little bit better since Chicagoland seems to be a more competitive hotel market, plus seeing the size of the building itself made me think that the hotel might be a little nicer. There have been a lot of complaints about the dated decor, which are valid for the common areas, but the room I had on the 3rd floor appeared to have been renovated. My wife and kids said the pool was freezing cold in October, which seemed to be odd, and there were only two luggage carts in the entire hotel, which made bringing in our luggage difficult when they were both in use. On the other hand, the bed was great, and I probably had the best night's sleep of any non-resort hotel where I've ever stayed. Besides the pool, there wasn't a whole lot for our kids to do besides run up and down the hallways downstairs. It looks like a hotel in transition, but they're not quite there yet.

Room Tip: If you eat in the restaurant and stay on-site, kids eat free (except for breakfast/brunch, which I f...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank russell_ray
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We are constantly refreshing the appearance of our hotel, so I appreciate the feedback on where to focus next. We just completed a redecoration of the pool and fitness center so another area will begin soon. I was glad to hear that our rooms met your expectation, and that it seems our beds may have exceeded them. (We do receive a great deal of compliments on the comfort of our beds) I do apologize that the other 2 luggage carts we offer did not appear available and that the pool felt cold. If your travels bring you back this way, please ask our front desk for some of the fine area attractions that our shuttle driver could take you or your family to, or you could run next door to Brunswick Zone for bowling & arcade games.
Your room tip is great, not just for travelers visiting us….but any Holiday Inn Hotel. Kids do eat free when ordering of the kids menu and have a paying adult, so I’m glad you could take advantage of this terrific cost saving program.
Thank you again for your business and we look forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Covina, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

Was in town as a participant in the Softball World Series 8/27 to 9/4. I researched at least 50 area hotels before I decided on the Chicago - Carol Stream Holiday Inn. This was the best decision!! At first, I chose this hotel because it was located in the middle… of all the fields in St. Charles (8 miles), Elmhurst (8 miles), and Schaumburg (12miles). Little did I know that this hotel would be so much more than just a conveinent location. At check-in I met Lois. She, and the rest of the staff were very friendly and attentive my entire stay! The check-in and check-out process went smoothly without any unexpected issues. Having never been to the greater Chicago area, I had a million questions and Lois had all the answers. She was patient with my inquiries and even printed out maps and directions that she had delivered to my room. Talk about service. My room was very clean and comfortable. As it was very hot (over 100) while I was there, the AC was on most of the time and the room was comfortably cool with little noise from the AC. The bed was fresh and clean...no bedbugs...I checked! Linens were clean ...no stains...I checked, and odor free! FRESH is the norm in these rooms. Bathroom was very clean, everyday. The pool and jacuzzi were crystal clear and a welcome respite after a long day of playing softball. My fellow teammates, who were staying at other area hotels, had visited me and were envious of my hotel for its' location, cleanliness, ammenitiies and comfort. Many of my teammates paid for parking, and Internet service at their hotels...both FREE at the Holiday Inn. I didn't have a laptop, no problem! I was able to access the internet from their FREE computers in their business center. I ate at the restaurant on a couple of occasions. The first Saturday I was there they had a $15.95 Prime Rib buffett that was well worth the money. They have a great bar with a pool table and big screen TV's with sports and other entertainment on them. They also have an excellent breakfast buffett. One unintended ammenitity is that the Carol Stream Chamber of Commerce is located in the hotel. They were more than happy to suggest local restaurants and attractions. Also, the hotel is directly behind a Brunswick Bowling Center and Arcade that includes lazer tag and other fun attractions, like bumper cars and video games. Finally, the hotel is only 3 miles from the Wheaton Metra rail station that will take you to downtown Chicago where you can connect to the "L" to get around the city. I got a weekend pass for $7.00 for unlimted use the entire weekend. It takes about 45 minutes to get there...but better than sitting in traffic and paying $5.00 and hour to park! The hotel has a limited schedule shuttle available to take guests to the Wheaton Metra Station. I highly recommend this hotel for a clean, quiet, comfortable and friendly stay!!

Finally, the value was more than I expected. As I booked my hotel and rental car as a package deal through an online service, my enitre hotel stay and mid-size car rental amounted to less than $87 per day!! Awesome deal!

Room Tip: The area around the hotel is mostly Corporate / Upscale Warehousing. While there is not a lot of re...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Joe C
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
I am glad to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your statement of "I highly recommend this hotel for a clean, quiet, comfortable and friendly stay!!" are words that we strive for from every traveler who visits us. Thank you and I hope you will return and visit us again. Thanks for sharing the "Room Tip" too....I'm glad our shuttle service and the Chamber of Commerce were able to get you information and transportation to some of the nearby attractions and restaurants.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

We spent a few nights at this Holiday while in the process of relocating to the area. The hotel is located in a industrial park type area and this sort of turned me off as we arrived. Check in was quick but when we got to our room, we immediately noticed that the previous guests smoked quite a bit in the room and this in a smoke free hotel!. We were immediately given another room. The room decor is very tired (especially the carpets)and I was not overly satisfied with the overall condition of the room but my wife and son enjoyed their stay (especially the pool). In all, great staff but as with many Holiday Hotels, they need to maintain some standards when it comes to room decor and condition.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dansladen
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Thank you for posting your experience at our hotel. I am pleased to hear that our staff took good care of you and your family…..we truly pride ourselves on our customer service. I would like to clarify that we do still offer a limited number of rooms for guests to smoke in, and apologize if you were given any different information. I hope you will visit our hotel, or have friends or family join us now that you have settled into our area. Thank you again for your feedback and praise of the staff.
Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

Upon arrival, typical business travel night, it is late and I was in no mood to negotiate. I was told the room I reserved the hotel didn't have any left so they wanted to put me in a smoking room. I told them no, that isn't going to work. The only other option was a "junior suite" which would cost me $15 more.

The clerk refused to budge on this and while I can go back to the Priceline/Hotwire to demand a refund, I had to pay an upgrade just to get my room. Standard hotel policy would be to walk me to another hotel because they didn't have a room. I chalk it up to poor training by Holiday Inn's corporate folks.

The decor in this hotel is severely dated and the "junior suite" is essentially two standard rooms joined together. The bed sheets were stained, paint was aging and overall just in need of a major renovation.

If you have other options in the area, avoid this hotel - the inconveniences just aren't worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SteakSnob
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
I appreciate your feedback of you stay, and apologize that you had a less than pleasurable experience. Cleanliness is something we take great pride in, and I will pass this review along to the individuals who upkeep our hotel. Regarding your reservation, our staff tries to meet guest’s needs, but some websites do not spell out that “requested items” are not guaranteed. This is something that we just do not have control over. We will fully comply with walk policies like you mentioned, when we do not fulfill the guaranteed reservation elements. I regret that our staff appeared aggressive in trying to meet your needs…
I would be glad to speak with you directly as I do not have all your details of your reservation from just this posting, and would like to see you back with us again. I can be reached at (630)665.3000 ext. 261.

Travellers are raving about these Carol Stream hotels

Seattle/Boulder
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

The pool is indoors, so don’t plan on spending the day here unless you just want to watch TV or drink at the bi-polar Italian restaurant slash Irish bar (located in the same room). My room had a view of the hallway and allowed us to enjoy all the noise of the lobby. We were assigned a smoking room with two double beds, instead of a non-smoking room with a queen size bed. I awoke with clogged sinuses and a church revival the first morning and a jack hammer the second morning. The hallway leading to the smoking room was so permeated with smoke, it may classify as contributing to second-hand smoke inhalation. I turned on the air, but it seemed to draw from the hazy hallway. When I asked what the hotel would do to “make it right”, I was offered a complimentary bottle of luke warm water. Although I found this amusing, I was not amused. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bedding was beautiful (minus the night I enjoyed it infused with smoke). There is nothing to do in the area, but go to the mall or Target, so I hope you are here for a reason. Nevertheless, I am extremely disappointed with the Holiday Inn and I will not be” hanging with my hommies” at this Holiday Inn again

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Acrosstheshiningsea
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
I appreciate your feedback as it can only help us improve. I do apologize that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. It appears that while our staff was helpful and friendly, we fell short due to our redecorating efforts and that your room requests were not able to be met. (Hard as we try, we cannot always meet requests on room preferences that are not actually booked on the reservation) I welcome the opportunity to discuss any concerns with you directly and retain you as our customer. I can be reached at (630)665-3000 ex 261. Thank you again.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Probably the nicest hotel in the city of Carol Stream. Great buffet on the weekend. Clean, comfortable and competent front desk staff. I loved their gym which was located in a medium-sized room with a TV, water, towels etc. I was able to use the treadmill without a wait. Lots of familes were in the indoor pool and jacuzzi. I stayed over the Memorial Day weekend and it was pretty busy there. I loved the fact that the pool was indoors. It wasn't too noisy except for some older guests shouting out to each other in the morning. I would stay here again. No doubt.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
It is always great to hear that we have met the expectations of our guests. I appreciate your detailed review of your stay with us and we look forward to your return. Thank you for your kind words, as well as for choosing our hotel.

(Also, great room tip you passed along for your fellow travelers who may be light sleepers.)
Coral Springs, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

My wife and I were both here for five days on business. I understand that being a Holiday Inn may mean low expectations, but I'm fairly dissapointed in a couple of areas. for one thing the day we arrived, there was no shuttle bus. The next evening we needed a ride to the train station and the driver had called off. I asked for a ride to the mall the followng day and finally got one. As a published amenity on their site, it was spotty at best.

I finally got a day with no work and was kept awake by some sort of pounding all day. I finally gave in and went down to the pool to get in the hot tub and it was closed! I went to the bar and put a beer on my room tab and was chased out of the bar by the bartender who told me I had to pay cash. We definately put a card down for incidentals.

I travel a lot and im pretty understanding when theres a hiccup, but this was a chronically poor experience from start to finish.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HolidayIllinois, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay with us. It appears that we have missed a few opportunities to shine during your visit and for that I apologize. Our goal is to always exceed our guest’s expectations and usually seem to do a good job with that. If you have an opportunity, may I ask you to please contact me directly at the hotel so I can clarify some of your concerns and see how I can improve on this in the future? I can be reached at (630)665-3000 ext. 261. Again, I appreciate your candid feedback and look forward to speaking with you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carol Stream
10.3 km away
Sheraton Lisle Hotel
11.1 km away
Residence Inn Chicago Lombard

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago-Carol Stream? Share your experiences!