“Clean, comfortable, pleasant stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carthage
Prairie Winds Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Carthage B&B and Inns
Southern US
“Clean, comfortable, pleasant stay”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I was in the area for the holidays and family had stayed previously and recommended it vs. driving to Macomb or Keokuk to stay in a chain hotel. I echo the thoughts of my fellow reviewers - sometimes you worry about independent hotels, but the Prairie Winds isn't one to worry about, unless you are expecting luxury amenities. I also found the room to be clean and the bathroom sparkling. The heat is the warm radiator-style heat so it was slower to warm up than forced air, but heats up nicely! The price was great - taxes were included in the base rate, which I am not sure I have encountered in years - and the staff/owners pleasant. Pleased they offer wi-fi although I didn't need to use it. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SuziQ22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Thanks for a pleasant stay. Cleanliness seems to be lacking in the big chains or corporate hotels anymore. Friendliness is found here. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: nice clean rooms worth the stay
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
steven357, Owner at Prairie Winds Motel, responded to this review, 11 September 2011
robert

we thank you for the review you wrote. it is nice for us to know, that maybe we made someones day, just a little easier. this is the first time for me, in writing a response to a review. i hope i have done this right.
Maryland Heights, Missouri
Reviewed 23 August 2011

This little gem motel was exactly what I needed for a quick trip into Carthage for a night. The room was exceptionally clean, all of the cinder-block walls looked as if they were painted the day before, and it was very spacious. What I was really impressed with was the "retro" style bathroom! Mint green colored tile with bright white caulk. Not one tile was chipped or any dingy caulk. What a pleasant surprise!!

The price was also a surprise. . . $44 for a night without any of the senseless taxes that most hotels tack on at the bottom. Great value, great room!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Stacy P
thank you for for your wonderful review. we do try to keep the building as clean as we can, because clean, quiet, and reasonable rates is all we can offer. i wrote in a previous response, that if we made your day a little easier, and based the review you wrote, i think we did, then you did get it right.

review, much appreciated!
Dayton
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I have stayed at the Prairie Winds on a few occasions because it's close to where my daughter currently lives. Having stayed in some of the other towns in the immediate one-hour radius, I initially chose the Prairie Winds because it was much closer, and the pictures on its website made it look acceptable. When I learned of the price, I honestly wasn't expecting too much out of the place, but I was pleasantly surprised.

While the rooms are rather basic in decor, they're not only functional, but comfortable as well. And even more importantly for me, the rooms are immaculate! Those bathrooms shine like they belong in a hospital. Being an avid "road-tripper", I am particularly happy that at least some smaller mom-and-pop motels survive today, and the Prairie Winds is a classic example. If you're looking for something reminiscent of a Holiday Inn or Best Western, you might want to go on up the road to Keokuk.

Since Carthage is so rural, the view of the stars at night is incredible. Anyone staying here should hope for a clear night: go out in the parking lot and just look upward.

My daughter is actually leaving the area very soon, so it's doubtful I'll ever get back to the Prairie Winds; however, if you're in the area and need clean, quiet lodging for a night, don't hesitate to stop here.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
thank you for the review you wrote. sorry to read that you might make a trip down here, but because of the review you wrote, maybe someone will read what you wrote, and decide to stay here as well.

good luck!
Illinois
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Prairie Winds is an old-school cinder-block motel, on the highway just outside of Carthage. Pretty nice for the price. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Good selection of channels on satellite TV. No tub in bathroom, but shower stall was quite large. Free Internet, but it's wired; the office provided a cable, but there was no power outlet anywhere near the network connection. Need to go into town for restaurants. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
i am new at this, so i am sorry it has taken so long to reply to your review. you are correct in pointing out to us, that we forgot the electrical outlet for the laptop computer, near the data port. i don't know why i did not think of that when we wired the building. thanks to your review, we hope to correct our mistake.

thank you very much!
steven.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carthage
20.5 km away
Chief Motel
#4 of 6 in Keokuk
18.3 km away
Baymont Inn & Suites Keokuk

Been to Prairie Winds Motel? Share your experiences!