“Great Stay”

Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Tualatin, Oregon
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Great hotel! The rooms were clean and modern, and they were also quite large. The location was convenient; it was very easy to get here. The continental breakfast was nice, and there were several restaurants nearby. Also, it is pet friendly. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TheGs04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed here for three nights in late April 2012. With all that went on during our stay, the place seems to be understaffed. Breakfast area was well designed – but at least two of the mornings they were out of the main breakfast food items and it was not being stocked in a timely manner. Maid service would take care of most issues but missed others (an example - we ran out of Kleenex the first day and it was never refilled). The rooms were in need of little touch ups (back of bathroom door had several spots where the covering had fallen off and there was bare wood showing). I went to the work out room the first day and there weren’t any sanitizing materials (you have to go to the front desk and they give you a wet wipe) and they were out of towels. I told the front desk about the towels - - they said they would stock them. They were still out of the towels the next two days (had to go into pool area to get them each day).

The positives – front desk staff was friendly, the eating area for breakfast was nice and rooms were comfortable. Still, with the other accommodation options in town, I do not think this place was worth the rate I paid (lowest rate I paid (which was for 2 of the 3 nights) was around $105 before taxes).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IllinoisMan70
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

My wife and I were in Champaign to visit our daughter, and while we loved the city, this hotel left a lot to be desired. First of all, the breakfast is only "hot" for about an hour, which is a problem. Another interesting thing about the breakfast is that the entire time we were there (for 3 days) there was no butter or margarine available. Seems like something that should be taken care of, and people had definitely complained. The people working the front desk were rarely at the front desk. In fact, in three days, going out frequently for walks, to go see our daughter, or just going to the pool or to breakfast (I would get up early enough to get a hot breakfast; my wife slept in so she was out of luck) I saw a person actually behind the front desk once. Each time i had a question I had to shout for someone to come to the desk. There was a back room not visible to any guest and the front desk person would eventually emerge from there. There was no way to let someone know (no ringer, bell, etc.) that you needed assistance, so I just got used to shouting.
I didn't bring a computer so I was using the business center to check emails and do some work. On the second day of our stay early in the morning both computers crashed. I went and got the front desk person, who of course was in the back room. He made some attempt to solve the problem with the computers, could not make anything happen, and said he would call the "computer guys" who would fix them that day. When I checked the next morning, nothing had been fixed, of course, and I am pretty sure no one had been contacted to attempt to correct the problem.
On the second day of our stay, I noticed that the pool towels were dwindling to next to nothing, so I went to the front desk and asked if some could be brought in. He assured me this would happen but the next morning when I went for a swim there was only one towel. While I was swimming, a guy came in to empty and clean the hot tub. He appeared to be a maintenance person who does this kind of work for the hotel. Two other ladies and I were hoping to use the hot tub but the process of emptying and cleaning the hot tub made that impossible. I guess doing this before pool hours isn't possible. The guy did go and get some towels for us, since there was only just the one.
Finally it was time to check out and start a drive to Chicago to see our other daughter. I went to the front desk. Of course no one was there. I rapped on the counter, then shouted a few times. Nothing. Waited a minute or so. A nice woman who was cleaning the lobby saw I wanted to talk to the front desk person so she called a number, and I heard the phone ringing, for quite awhile. No one answered. At last the front desk guy emerged from the back room, telling me "Sorry, I had to deal with about six phone calls." I knew that was b.s. (at least I'm pretty sure it was) and let him know that, plus some of the other complaints about our stay. He was almost entirely unapologetic and offered nothing.
So here's my warning on this hotel. It's a very nice facility, the rooms are fine, the pool is ok, etc. But the management isn't paying attention to the breakfast (it really is simple to keep the type of hot breakfast items the hotel provides--scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon--warm for the full time breakfast is served, 6:30-9:30, but this isn't happening; and for heaven's sakes, someone could get some margarine eventually, one would hope), and there must be something happening in the back room behind the front desk that is very exciting because that's where the people who should answer a guest's questions always are. I'm sure Wingate doesn't want that kind of customer service at its hotels.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank fritzrobertson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Traveling on an extended stay for work so I am trying a number of hotels in the area 1 week at a time and was very impressed with the Wingate. Close to the interstate, major restaurants, nice clean room, freshly stocked every day and the pool/hot tub was enjoyable on the couple of times I used them. Normally, a "good" three circle hotel, but the service warrants four! Upon arrival late Sunday night, I was promptly greeted to check in. Was even ask what floor I preferred as they had capacity and if I had any questions about the area. Very impressed given the recent horrible experience I experienced at a different hotel (HI) the week before.
A couple of issues - my room keys on the 3rd day did not work but the front desk quickly fixed the problem and even explained magnetic device (cell phone, etc) might have knocked out the card if they were next to each other. Second was the internet speed. Ok for first 2 nights but afterwards, not acceptable for wireless. My 3G phone connection was faster (I tested it). Otherwise, great experience and I would recommend to others in the area. Mid-priced and much less than others in the area that had much worse service. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank zahnpilot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Champaign is the central point between Des Moines and family in Kentucy. The Wingate is a nice place to rendezvous. Clean rooms and the very pet friendly. The breakfast kept me from giving a 5 rating across the board but it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Arrived very late Sat night. Check-in clerk first gave two rooms far away from each other, then found two almost adjoining. He was very nice. Nice workout room, and nice pool. All staff were friendly. Breakfast was good and not rushed..they didn't close down at the stroke of 9:30, and coffee was still available later. Lots of cheaper places nearby, but I think this was worth the nominally higher rate. Cheapest rate for me was found on their own site! The room was very large...one big room with bed towards the far end near the window, and sitting area nearer the door. Microwave and fridge were good to have in the room. (Bring popcorn!)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Makanda, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Guess with all the great reviews I just had the fluke. I waited at the hotel desk for about 15 min before anyone showed up, it was after midnight, didnt make me feel the most secure.
Room was nice, but at breakfast the next morning there was no juice, fruit or yougurt.
Staff really didn't seem to care, "oh yeah, guess we are still out of that"
I checked out, and went to the Hawthorn Inn for the rest of my stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business