“New Place to Eat”

Black Dog Smoke & Ale House
Ranked #5 of 335 Restaurants in Champaign
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The food was very very good and the waitress was awesome. We arrived around 5:00 pm and there was not a line to be seate. I had smoked catfish and salmon plus an Oder of fries. Their french fries are to die for. All and all it was a very delightful experience.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I’ve eaten here several times,and the group is always very happy with their food. Although I usually have the ribs,on this latest trip I tried the catfish. Rather than being fried with a cornmeal crust, they call it smoked. It was tasty, but I prefer it fried.

I’m very particular about my French fries, so if I find them edible I’m happy. While not great, these are better than edible.
I’m a big fan of applesauce; I like almost everyone’s. The Black Dog applesauce,however, basically tastes like cinnamon water.
My grandson had bbq beef ribs which were huge and meaty. He loved them.
My daughter,the vegan had the impossible burger,which she thoroughly enjoyed.
My wife had a salmon sandwich which she liked a lot.
The next time we go I’m returning to the pork ribs.
As always, the service was very friendly

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The scent of bbq hits you as you enter which means you know you're in for good food. Go hungry. None of us finished our meal.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I wanted a while to visit Black Dog and was pretty excited to go.. and our experience was pretty disappointing. We went at 1.30pm on a Sunday. Waited about 10 mins, no big deal. Inside the restaurant was fairly clean, decent décor. Unfortunately, they were out of about half of their sides and the burt ends. I understand there are some limits to things only cooked once per day, etc, but if you can't get mac n cheese at a BBQ place, something's wrong. The food that we did get was fine - the veggie burger came out with exactly nothing on it (just a bun) - we had to ask for lettuce, tom, onion, etc. The brisket was a bit overcooked, but the sausage was done well. Fries were crispy and tasty, but the side of applesauce was way way over seasoned with cinnamon.

I want to like this place, so I might try again, but the first visit was not memorable.

1  Thank supapfunk
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Perfect place for a double date! I would say on the difficult side to have a large group dine together because of the line, and not super romantic for a single couple date night. Definitely a pub feel. Delicious food! I highly recommend the chicken over the salmon—especially if you don’t like super fishy tasting salmon. BIG fan of the green beans, smoked sweet potato, and cornbread!