“"Secret Paradise"”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rosalie
Mermaid's Secret - Riverside Retreat
Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at this absolutely fantastic spot and it could not have been more beautiful.
The spot chosen to place this wonderful retreat could not be more perfect. It is both offering some “adventures” and absolute silence and remoteness “as close to nature as it gets” without having to miss the modern life amenities completely.
We stayed in the “gypsy caravan” which was really cozy and offers a nice view over the property. Especially nice when sun rises or sets. The hosts are just as super friendly and helpful as all the local people. You gotta´ love them! You can actually feel that after 9-10 years of establishing this little paradise, they are still by no means tired of what they do. They are living their dream and actually let you be part of it. We felt so welcome that even after such a short time, we were sad when we had to leave finally.
All is in place for you to enjoy the stay at mermaid´s secret to the fullest. The entire accommodations on the property are somewhat special and built with love for the little details.
If you want you can have breakfast and /or dinner each day. Same can also be “booked” while you are already there. What is really cute is that for breakfast you can choose between different options like pancakes / omelets / cereals and stuff like that. Toast, butter, marmalade, coffee/tee and juice are always available anyway.
Often the hosts would eat breakfast and/or dinner with the guests. This is the perfect opportunity to fine tune your day planning. Not only are they super friendly humorous and super heartwarming and welcoming, they can also give you the best advice on what to do, where to go, what to see and what you might need or be aware of. If needed, you could also get actual guidance and / or have them go on the trip with you. We were moistly travelling on our own. But some other guests went on day trips and I honestly believe you cannot find a better guide than these guys…
Still we would recommend you take rental car. This is a good idea anyway if you want to travel the island by yourself a little bit. There is also other ways and means to travel around but having a car (ideally 4x4) certainly gives you more flexibility.
There´s a cute little dog “Boomer”, cats, chickens, an old lady duck and beautiful, almost untouched nature around.
Back to the actual stay…
On the property there is this beautiful “terrace” built with a view on the river floating by. The constant sound of the water rushing by, adds to the wonderful relaxing feeling this whole place engulfs you with. It took us only a few minutes after arrival to leave behind the stressful jobs and all the hectic back home. The terrace is also where the dining table, the relaxation area and the bar are located. There is a big variety of drinks available. Alcoholic or non- alcoholic and it is a beautiful place to start and/or end your day here in Dominica.
Taking a bath at the swimming spot at the river is the perfect start into your day, whilst you could also hangout an entire day in this beautiful spot.
All in all for us it was the perfect spot to stay and relax and we can only recommend you try it out yourselves!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
MermaidsSecret, Owner at Mermaid's Secret - Riverside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Thanks folks for the very kind and detailed review of your stay here at mermaids secret.
We are glad you enjoyed your time here...the caravan is pretty cool and certainly a unique experience in the Caribbean. It just needs some wheels ;-)

best wishes

Tim Sam

Reviewed 5 May 2017

My husband and I stayed at Mermaid's Secret in the Moon Yurt for a week. We can't emphasize enough what a special place this is! We couldn't wait to come home to our jungle retreat at the end of our adventurous days exploring Dominica. In the evenings we ate with Sam, Tim and the other guests, and stayed up late chatting and playing games. Sam and Tim were such gracious hosts and we really can't imagine what our trip would have been like if we stayed elsewhere. It really felt like we were staying with family. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the kind review Anne. It was a fun week with you guys and the other guests here. Glad you enjoyed our little corner of the jungle :-)

Reviewed 19 April 2017

We stayed in the yellow cabin. It was very clean and comfortable. The next time I stay though, I want to stay in the gypsy wagon! It is so awesome!

The property is absolutely breathtaking! You are really submerged into the rain forest and it is so incredibly peaceful! There is a natural pool that has some of the clearest water I have ever seen.

The owners, Tim and Sam, are probably the best part though! They are extremely helpful in suggesting places to go and things to do. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Sam cooked up some amazing food and even went out of her way to cater to my vegetarian needs. (Be kind to her though and give her advanced notice if you have any dietary restrictions. I didn't and felt terrible.)

I will definitely be staying here again on my next trip to Dominica!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
MermaidsSecret, Owner at Mermaid's Secret - Riverside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2017

Thanks Desiree for taking the time to review your stay with us. Please don't feel bad about the chaos you caused in the kitchen by announcing your vegetarianism at the 11th hour.....Sam coped and we all had time for another drink while we waited ;-)
It was great meeting you on the lion fish diving trip and of course thanks for choosing to stay here for your last nights in Dominica. The Mermaids Pool certainly helps get the salt water out of your system.
The Gypsy 'wagon' is waiting :-)

Reviewed 11 April 2017

One of the most powerful things about Trip Advisor is that a savvy traveler can read thru the body of reviews and get a fairly accurate depiction on the topic of review. With that said, all one has to do is scan the 180 reviews on Mermaids Secret and they will quickly get the lowdown on this property. EVERY SINGLE reviewer mentions the same thing; the real magic of Mermaids Secret are the Owner Operators ( Tim and Sam Williams). The property is stunningly gorgeous, accommodations are clean, quaint/ comfortable and the local area is full of great things to see and do. However, those things are made so much better by the kindness, care, concern and hospitality delivered by the Owner Operators. They put their heart and soul into running this property and that is evident in so many ways. There is not a single need that either one of them would not run thru a wall to meet and they always do it with genuine kindness, patience and a true concern for your happiness.

This was our 2nd time in staying at this property and this time we stayed at Mermaids Secret for all 8 days. Last time we followed the advice of some travelers and stayed on the east coast for 4 days and then stayed on the west coast for 4 days. The thought process was sound as it cut down on drive time but when it was all said and done, it was clearly a mistake. Surely we cut down on drive time but we missed the daily beauty of Mermaids Secret, the incredible home cooked meals from Sam and most importantly, the fun, laughter and camaraderie experienced on the deck of the Mermaids Secret bar. The extra drive time was well worth it!

In regards to Sam's home cooked meals; you do have the option of cooking in your room, grabbing a bite to eat locally or sharing a dinner with Tim and Sam. We always chose to eat dinner as a group (so did the other lovely couple from Maine; Ann and Steve) and what a great choice we made! Sam is a wonderful cook and she cooked up enough to feed an army. Imagine your full plate and then having enough extras for a 3rd or 4th refill! I gorged myself every night and then was treated every night to a delicious dessert (a subtle hint to my wife!). I can say with confidence that you will not find that type of dining anywhere on the entire island of Dominica (food is pretty expensive on the island and it would cost a fortunate to eat like we did every night)! After a long day of exploring the island, Sam's meals put the icing on the cake (pun intended).

After dinner was always the favorite part of my day as I soaked my aching legs in the stunning river pool, ate a fantastic dinner,explored the incredible grounds of the surrounding property, drank cocktails on the deck, played card/board games with the group ( OK I just watched and drank!) and shared stories/tales with both hosts and the other guests. Tim and Sam both have an incredible sense of humor and I had just as much fun at night as I did in the daytime. It is in this type of environment in which you really see how much they care about their guests.

In my humble opinion, there is not a better property on the island than Mermaids Secret. On both trips to Dominica, I visited some of the other properties that I had considered using. They were all very pretty, had some cool amenities and I met some really nice owners. However, what will draw me back to Mermaids Secret on my 3rd visit to Dominica (already in planning mode) Is Tim and Sam Williams They truly want people to have an incredible experience on this island and they go to unheard of measures to make that passion a reality for each and every guest. A heartfelt thanks from the Dodd family for making our trip such a memorable experience!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Thomas D

We truly value your very kind review Tom. It was great to see you and Wendy again and meet your Son too.....a fine young man in the making I may add.
No one leaves the table hungry has always been our motto here. Sam has been feeding me for years and grown accustomed to trying to fill a bottomless pit and we appreciate that after a full days activities our guests are going to need refuelling.
Since our first guest who dined here invited us to join them for dinner it has been a natural thing to do for us. Its nice that our guests don't mind as it makes our job even better and I get to tell all my stories to a captive audience :-)
Looking forward to your return visit and hopefully it wont take 3yrs to arrange again. And we have to do the fresh water/boiling lake hike!

Reviewed 4 April 2017

From the minute you set foot on this gem in the jungle you know this is a magical place, just as the island that surrounds it. After my first visit I knew I had to come back, and three years later it has not lost any of its magic. Nestled right in the rainforest, there's no better place to come back to after exploring one of the incredible adventures Dominica offers or to take a day of total relaxation. Kick off your hiking boots (or fins), take a dip in the beautiful, refreshing Mermaid's River Pool and relax to the sounds of the river and rainforest. It's easy to forget the world in this unspoilt paradise! And when you think it can't get better, you haven't tried one of Sam's home-cooked dinners and desserts (leave room for those!) – the delicious way to recharge your batteries. Sitting around the big table on the deck right above the river you'll just feel like at a friend's house. Sam and Tim give you a warm welcome and will kindly help you plan your next day, provide helpful insider tips to the island or even take you on a guided tour to one of the stunning waterfalls or Boiling Lake – an experience you'll remember! All accommodations offer all the comfort you can ask for and let you fully enjoy this unique holiday in Dominica. Check out the new Creole 'Gypsy' Caravan! It's for sure one of the most colorful and comfy places to stay in the middle of the rainforest. And you can watch the sun rise and star-filled night sky right from your bed.

Thank you Sam and Tim for your exceptional hospitality and all your efforts! I wish you all the best! See you soon :)

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Stan0, Owner at Mermaid's Secret - Riverside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

Thanks for this review Michelle and thanks for coming back to visit Dominica and Mermaids Secret....especially after Tropical Storm Erika stopped you in 2015! Its nice to have feedback from guests revisiting after a few years and to see what differences (and hopefully improvements) they notice. Well you certainly cannot miss our brightly coloured Gypsy style Caravan in our new line up for this season. Glad you enjoyed your much longer visit this time :-)
cheers

Reviewed 1 April 2017

We stayed five nights camping out on our own tent under a tree not too far from the natural pool where we showered twice a day encouraging Boomerang (the dog) to jump in with us, Daphne the canard was sometimes around as well.

The vibe at Mermaids was great at all times, Tim and Sam were that helpful they would even plan our day according to weather forecast and they always nailed it!

Meals were delicious and always accompanied by a surprisingly tasty dessert.
The butter provided for breakfast made a huge difference on the morning toast (it's not an easy thing to find on the island) so enjoy it while in the jungle.

We look forward to repeating the experience soon.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Hey Pedro thanks for taking the time to review your stay here at mermaids. Im especially glad you did as it means you survived the boiling lake and free diving course....phew!

Was fun having you both here so thanks to coming and pass on my regards to David for recommending us to you guys

best wishes and and safe travels

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

I can't say enough good about this wonderful place. Remote, cozy, beautiful location, cool lodging, great food. Incredible location and best swimming hole. And most importantly, amazing hosts.
If your going to Dominica... stay here. You won't be sorry.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends

Hi Ed thanks for the kind review. You forgot to mention though ....do not rent a toyota corola! ;-)

Glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will meet up state side when my road trip begins

cheers

Tim

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosalie
18.4 km away
Rosalie Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Rosalie
0 km away
Rosalie Forest Eco Lodge

Been to Mermaid's Secret - Riverside Retreat? Share your experiences!