“Great hidden gem on N. State Street, Chicago”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #61 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband recently booked a trip for a celebration with friends and booked the Dana. We go to Chicago on a regular basis and had never heard of the property. Actually have walked right by it on several occasions!

It was wonderful!

The Corner King Room (south facing is a must) was amazing -- floor to ceiling windows and a great view of State Street in the eve.

Beds were to die for, rain shower was great!

Weekend parking rate was $43 for the entire time.

Location, location, location!

1  Thank Stacie B
There are newer reviews for dana hotel and spa

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Dana Hotel & Spa is a boutique hotel in the heart of Chicago in the River North area next to the Gold Coast. The hotel is situated near many attractions and only a block away from the Magnificent Mile shopping district and many restaurants. Modern & trendy decor perfect for couples or singles looking to have a great time. Families with young children would fare better elsewhere.

+ Corner suite spacious with separate living and sleeping areas. Perfect for entertaining.
+ Aja restaurant and lobby bar open all day. Decent breakfast & sushi, very nice prime beef sliders. Great cocktails and bar drinks. Better selection of wine and liquor than the rooftop bar.
+ If you enjoy hotels like the W, Hard Rock, as well as trendy non-chain boutique hotels you will feel right at home when visiting Dana Hotel and Spa.

- VERTIGO SKY LOUNGE is popular but also packed on Saturday nights. Focus is on bottle service with few liquor options (lobby bar is far superior for cocktails) Club bouncers take over elevators making it very difficult to get up to your room between the hours of 9PM-1AM. Hotel should allocate one of the three elevators for hotel guest use only.
- City noises can be heard even on high floors. Not a deal breaker but worth noting.
- Like most of Chicago the service is indifferent and quiet. Everything is available to you if you ask for it but very little is offered. Don't think this to be rude, there is a respectful distance and patience practiced in Chicago that can appear rude to those visiting from areas with more aggressive service cultures like NY or LA. Bell services, car services, concierge services and other amenities can be arranged so do not hesitate to ask.

TRANSPORTATION: Much of what you may want to see and do in Chicago is within walking distance. For attractions farther afield Dana Hotel is 2 blocks away from several public transit lines and cab rides rarely exceeded $10 when traveling to The Field Museum or restaurants that were farther away. Dana hotel doormen were always able to hail a cab for us within seconds, not minutes.

Room Tip: Corner suite worth the upgrade cost if you like to entertain friends in your room. Nice living room...
2  Thank Hi_Fi_Guy
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel has a great location by Michigan Avenue and the rooms were very comfortable. Some street noise was a problem. And the set up with the shower is a little odd (there is a glass wall from the shower into the room)

Room Tip: The rooms on the corners have great floor to ceiling windows on two sides.
Reviewed 19 February 2012

As most of the reviews state the door men at the Dana are very personable. The location is great as well. However, the niceties stop there. When booking the room online I was asked, if possible, would I like an up grade to a corner room. For $10.00 more, why not? I was also stated that we would get a voucher for $10.00 p/p for breakfast. When checking in the upgrade was not mentioned and the vouchers were not mentioned. Asking about the corner room avilablity I was promptly told it was not available. That's o.k. I was not charged for it. Thinking the vouchers would be in the material handed to us I quickly found out they were not and had to ask for these as well. The big "kicker" was when I was told I would be charged and additional $80.00 on my cc becuse of the incidential I may choose to indulge in while in the room. I assured the staff memeber this would not happen considering we brought our own "incidentals". What I should have asked was what was the going interest rate the hotel was giving us to hold my money for one week. Yes, the charge would be reversed if nothing was eaten or a drink was not had in the room. 7-8 days!!!!??? Really?
The room is in need of repair. Wallpaper, shades all frayed. Needs to be repainted as well as woodwork being refinished.The TV had to be switched out do to lack of a picture. Really stange set up with a floor to ceiling window in the shower facing the room. Curtain in front of the shower which needed to be closed less the neighbors directly across the street would like to get a peep show.
Shower is great as well as the comfort of the bed.
Went to Vertigo. Thinking "what recession"? Filled with 20 and 30 somethings having a great time. Would like to check it out in the nicer months when the outdoor patio is open.
Breakfast was pretty bad starting with the coffee. Waiter forgot 1/2 the order and breakfast sat getting cold until the rest of the meal was served. Had to ask for it to be reheated. Another breakfast was cold upon arrival.
Park at the lot just South of the hotel across the street. Self park, take your keys for $25.00 vs. $41.00 valet.
No will not return.There are too many other hotels managed much better in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for an ujpgrade
1  Thank Moe
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I loved The Dana hotel!!! We stated here over NYE and went to the Vertigo Lounge for the party. Here is my breakdown.

Rooms: you have to stay in a corner suite, they are incredible! The room was favourite part of the stay. The floor to wall windows are the stand out feature.

Location: great location, close to lots of restaurants. Only a short walk to The Magnificant Mile for great shopping.

Service: wonderful! Everyone was super friendly, especially the door men!

All in all it was just a really cool place to stay in Chigago. The design of the room and lobby are unique and are really what sets this place when you compare it to the big name hotel. I would whole heartily recommend this hotel to everyone planning a trip here!!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank KaratheTravelAgent
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This is a very trendy, fun place to stay. My girlfriend loved it and anytime someone is coming into town we recommend it. The food is excellent, although the only complaint was that the nueskis bacon wasn't the black pepper crusted type, which is the best bacon on the planet. Other than the small disappointment here we were both thrilled with the room, service, and food. slightly pricey, but you get a lot more than the average hotel. def a step up from the more popular W downtown. And close to a lot of great downtown and river-north spots.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I spend about 6 weekends a year in Chicago (in the warmer months) just for pleasure. I have stayed at just about all the "hip" hotels in downtown. I was just planning my next trip this morning and was shocked to see the Dana ranked at #24. Dana is easily a top 10 Chicago hotel. Sure you have the big boys like Trump, Waldorf, etc... YAWN! Im in my 30's not my 80's. I am originally from Chicago and currently living in Florida. I travel quite frequently for fun and enjoy trying new hotels and restaurants. I was very impressed with the Dana hotel, from the doormen to the random cleaning staff in the hallway. You can't beat the views in Dana (try the corner rooms) AMAZING! Its in a great location to many fun chitown activities. In summer the rooftop bar is fantastic! Dana showers are written about all the time in magazine articles. I can't say enough about my endorsement of Dana. I was last in Chicago in October and happened to be close to Dana and thought about getting a drink at the rooftop bar. I stopped by the doorman and asked if it was open yet for the evening and unfortunately it was not, however the doorman and I chatted for a good 3-5 minuets about where I should head to instead. I wasn't even a guest that weekend! Just good people and Great vibe at Dana. So if you are thinking about a chitown trip try these guys out! Also... don't leave Chicago without trying Lou Malnatis chicago style pizza and Portillos for an italian beef and chicago dog. My favorite upscale restaurant is by far MK's on Franklin its out of this world. Anyways, I am now second guessing trip advisor all together. Can you buy your ranking with them? I thought this was a public forum of unbiased opinion based on actual experience? rning and decided to look up my favorite resource for public opinion on travel, "trip advisor". I was SHOCKED to see the Dana ranking at #24. The Dana is easily a top 10 hotel in Chicago. I mean y

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends