“Excellent Service (5 Star Service)”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #59 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“Excellent Service (5 Star Service)”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed at the hotel over Easter weekend and have had one of the best service ever from all the staff. From the front desk staff, security, conciage and door man they go above and beyond for us. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in the downtown chicago area. When ever I come to Chicago I will definetly be staying here.

Lisa from canada

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Killerwong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2012

No complaints about the Dana hotel. From before even walking in the door to saying our goodbyes and checkout we had a excellent experience through and through.

They have a doorman (it actually seems like most hotels in Chicago have a doorman) and as soon as he spotted us he asked if we were checking in and took our bags for us. The check-in process was very quick. They addressed our sound concerns about being on a high floor, not too far under the nightclub saying if it bothered us later we could move if we didn't want to move right then at check-in. This actually didn't end up being a huge problem. When the nightclub was in operation we could hear some of the bass thumping if we were quiet but it didnt' really bother us too much, we were still able to sleep no problem and my partner is a light sleeper. Can't remember exactly what floor we were on but I think we were 4 or 5 floors from the top.

The room itself was very chic, spacious and clean. As others have said the shower wall that backs towards the bed is made of glass covered by only a curtain on the bed side so roommates should be aware of this. Floor to ceiling windows with views of condos and the streets below made for a nice view although here you have to be careful as well since you can see into their rooms, they surely can see into yours.

Coffee and tea were well stocked with an automatic single serve Keurig brewer along with a full wine fridge. Everything was tidied and clean when we first arrived and returned every evening as well. We didn't try the in hotel restaurant although it seemed quite full on Thurs-Sat evenings and people were also there for breakfast.

Hotel location is quite good, a few minutes walk to the subway and very close to the Golden Mile, shopping, numerous restaurants and other tourist attractions.

All in all a good hotel in a good location, I'd definitely recommend it to people looking for a boutique hotel in Chicago, not in the busiest hub of Chicago (e.g The Loop) but very close.

Room Tip: Top floor is directly under night club so middle to the third quarter of the floors (counting from t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I decided to spend a night at Dana Hotel and Spa to celebrate his birthday and our one year anniversary. I'm not sure what the going rate is for the night, since my husband booked for the room throught Jetsetter.com, however I was extremely pleased with our whole stay.

Jeff at check-in was extremely polite and since it was our anniversary, gave us a complimentary bottle of wine or champagne. We were given a corner King room on the 21st floor. The look and feel is minimalist/modern (which we both love). The bed was very comfortable (it's a little on the softer side, so for those of you who prefer hard beds, it may not be as comfortable). The sheets... oh the sheets.... i seriously have to find those sheets and comforter to buy for my own home - thats how much I loved them. We had two balconies... one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The bathroom is seriously my favorite room in the whole place. Two showerheads, fantastic therapeutic pressure, two sinks and the toiletries smelled wonderful. I especially loved the exfoliating body bar soap.

We went to Vertigo Sky Lounge as well.. though since it was a Monday night, it was rather empty. Did not try any of the food or drinks since we came right after dinner at Texas de Brazil, but the views are spectacular. My understanding is that if you come on a Friday/Saturday, you might have to deal with a huge crowd, so regular customers recommend to go early if you dont want to deal with Jersey Shore-type people. They have an outdoor patio with a firepit and space heaters (for colder nights) and robes for men and women (color-coded), but I'm sure in the summer its a great place to hang out.

For people who come to Chicago, this place is really in a prime location. Surrounded by fantastic restaurants. If you are from out of town, PLEASE do not waste your money on hotel restaurants unless it is world renowned. This is not to say that the food is not good, but Chicago has a plethora of PHENOMENAL restaurants within walking distance of Dana Hotel. You can walk to John Hancock, Water Tower Place, Shops at 900 Michigan, and for bargain hunters, Nordstrom Rack and Marshalls. Museums are maybe 10 minutes away (by public transportation)... Public transportation is within walking distance, but the Hotel does have valet. I believe the going rate was $43/night. (if you're a good haggler and just go straight to the parking guys, you may be able to get a better deal if you deal with them instead of through the hotel)

My husband and I enjoyed our night at the Dana Hotel, and are sure to recommend this place to others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank romancatm
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I chose to try a new hotel on our most recent trip to the city. The hotel had its pros and cons, but I would say more pros than cons.

Pros:
The doormen were always so courteous and helpful, especially TJ. The concierge was also very helpful and even gave us a free coupon and VIP seating pass for Gino's East.
The hotel was in a great location--we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go and many restaurants and bars were located nearby.
We loved our room--a corner king with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city. We were in room 2316 and had a great view, but I think across the hall they would be looking more at a large building of condos, so it does kind of depend on your floor and location as to how good the view is.
We loved the decor--very minimalist and modern.
The shower was great, but as others on here mentioned, probably not well-suited for a family with kids! As a couple, we had no issues with the lack of privacy.

The cons:
We had one unpleasant experience with a staff member. We found our Keurig this morning to not work. We called up and within a few minutes, David came up. He was the one staff member here who never smiled and was just overall grumpy and unfriendly. I could tell he thought we just didn't know how to use it as he tinkered with it for awhile and didn't bring a replacement with him. He finally said he'd get a new one, which took over 10 min. He came back up and threw our stuff around trying to get the new one plugged in. The replacement worked fine, but his bad attitude left a sour taste in my mouth.

On the 23rd floor, we could hear the bass from Vertigo. I can only imagine what it's like on the 25th floor! If this would bother you, request a lower level. I also didn't like how the hotel manages Vertigo guests. We got back late on Sat. evening and there was a line almost out the door waiting for the elevators to go up. We managed to squeeze by all of them (with some dirty looks from some people assuming we were trying to jump line). The security guy at the top did tell us to go right on through once we said we were hotel guests, but I just think the process could be streamlined. Maybe have one elevator set aside just for Vertigo and find a better way to form the line so hotel guests can get in and out easier. Then we got crammed on an elevator with all the Vertigo guests. I just think the hotel should re-think the night club guest entrance issues.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again on another trip to the city. I do think the hotel is better for couples rather than families.

Room Tip: Get a corner room for great views. Ask for a lower floor if Vertigo noise will bother you.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
tennessee
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Good size room, huge windows, private balcony, great products. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bermuda Dunes, California
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I was so impressed with this property. Everything was grade A+. Doorman when we first pulled up was so nice and helpful, friendliness of the front desk staff was great. The room was very clean, such a comfortable bed, awesome shower and you know what.....the drink and food prices of the honor bar were so reasonable that I couldn't resist the $25 bottle of top rate red wine to go with some of the homemade chocolate treats as I enjoy the view and great wifi speed as I catch up on my emails. I'm definitely Dana next time I visit Chicago!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank IrishTrvlGal
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Great place to stay for a weekend downtown in the city. Close to great resteraunts and shops. The hotel is modern and clean with great staff. Being a young guy, I did feel like I was looked at strange because it is an upscale hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple