New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Dare I say, perfect !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #46 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Houston, Texas
“Dare I say, perfect !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I expected a great hotel but was further impressed by the look, feel and service. The look is nothing short of breathtaking, the tall glass exterior is stunningly beautiful. The feel is professional, yet manages to incorporate that human factor. They literally make you feel appreciated! From the concierge, Anderson, who welcomes you thoroughly and lets you know just how much he enjoys his job and loves the city to the door men, especially Christopher who knows the city and can give you pointers like he were describing the back of his hand.
Again, the service. GREAT!! I can't think of the last time I had the pleasure of being happy to be around such magnificent personalities. My girlfriend and i truly didn't want to leave. Hence, the extention.
I'd mention the breathtaking lounge Vertigo a top the roof of the hotel or the deliciously snuck in yet sophisticated restaraunt A a but they are so great respectively that they all deserve seperate reviews.
Whoever wants their hotel staffers to get better training to be 5 star should send their employees here so they can understand what makes a place such as Dana, dare I say greatest thus so far hotel!

Room Tip: Mr room was a had an amazing view but I found out all do!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

For some time we’ve been planning to stay at the Dana and from reading reviews here we decided on a corner room. The rates can be quite high on weekends but on Easter weekend we got a rate of $227 after taxes and fees.

Overnight valet parking was $43 but we didn’t plan on using our car so in and out privileges didn’t concern us. After dropping our luggage and checking in we parked off site at the Sterling Self Park which has a weekend rate of $8 per day.

Entering the room mid day we were greeted with a great view of the city and plenty of sunlight from the floor to ceiling windows. The bathroom had a glass wall between the bed and shower so be sure to close the curtain if you don’t want an audience. With that said, there are numerous high rise buildings in the area with a couple of them just across the street so if you’re an exhibitionist these rooms are perfect. For more modest guests the room has a double shade system that allows either privacy or room darkening.

The room was well stocked with wine, beer, soda and snacks. We enjoyed using the Bowers-Wilkins, Zeppelin Air iPod docking station.

From the ads for the hotel you can get the idea they are geared towards a younger crowd without kids and that was the vibe while we were there.

On the 13th floor we did get some road noise, honking, loud groups of people, etc, but only as expected in such a busy location on State Street. From what we were told upon check-in, upper floors close to the Vertigo lounge will get some noise from the club music.

We’ve been to Chicago plenty of times so sightseeing was not a priority on this trip. This hotel, and the rooms are better for hanging out and relaxing as a couple and that was our reason for staying here.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed at the hotel over Easter weekend and have had one of the best service ever from all the staff. From the front desk staff, security, conciage and door man they go above and beyond for us. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in the downtown chicago area. When ever I come to Chicago I will definetly be staying here.

Lisa from canada

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Killerwong
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

No complaints about the Dana hotel. From before even walking in the door to saying our goodbyes and checkout we had a excellent experience through and through.

They have a doorman (it actually seems like most hotels in Chicago have a doorman) and as soon as he spotted us he asked if we were checking in and took our bags for us. The check-in process was very quick. They addressed our sound concerns about being on a high floor, not too far under the nightclub saying if it bothered us later we could move if we didn't want to move right then at check-in. This actually didn't end up being a huge problem. When the nightclub was in operation we could hear some of the bass thumping if we were quiet but it didnt' really bother us too much, we were still able to sleep no problem and my partner is a light sleeper. Can't remember exactly what floor we were on but I think we were 4 or 5 floors from the top.

The room itself was very chic, spacious and clean. As others have said the shower wall that backs towards the bed is made of glass covered by only a curtain on the bed side so roommates should be aware of this. Floor to ceiling windows with views of condos and the streets below made for a nice view although here you have to be careful as well since you can see into their rooms, they surely can see into yours.

Coffee and tea were well stocked with an automatic single serve Keurig brewer along with a full wine fridge. Everything was tidied and clean when we first arrived and returned every evening as well. We didn't try the in hotel restaurant although it seemed quite full on Thurs-Sat evenings and people were also there for breakfast.

Hotel location is quite good, a few minutes walk to the subway and very close to the Golden Mile, shopping, numerous restaurants and other tourist attractions.

All in all a good hotel in a good location, I'd definitely recommend it to people looking for a boutique hotel in Chicago, not in the busiest hub of Chicago (e.g The Loop) but very close.

Room Tip: Top floor is directly under night club so middle to the third quarter of the floors (counting from t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I decided to spend a night at Dana Hotel and Spa to celebrate his birthday and our one year anniversary. I'm not sure what the going rate is for the night, since my husband booked for the room throught Jetsetter.com, however I was extremely pleased with our whole stay.

Jeff at check-in was extremely polite and since it was our anniversary, gave us a complimentary bottle of wine or champagne. We were given a corner King room on the 21st floor. The look and feel is minimalist/modern (which we both love). The bed was very comfortable (it's a little on the softer side, so for those of you who prefer hard beds, it may not be as comfortable). The sheets... oh the sheets.... i seriously have to find those sheets and comforter to buy for my own home - thats how much I loved them. We had two balconies... one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The bathroom is seriously my favorite room in the whole place. Two showerheads, fantastic therapeutic pressure, two sinks and the toiletries smelled wonderful. I especially loved the exfoliating body bar soap.

We went to Vertigo Sky Lounge as well.. though since it was a Monday night, it was rather empty. Did not try any of the food or drinks since we came right after dinner at Texas de Brazil, but the views are spectacular. My understanding is that if you come on a Friday/Saturday, you might have to deal with a huge crowd, so regular customers recommend to go early if you dont want to deal with Jersey Shore-type people. They have an outdoor patio with a firepit and space heaters (for colder nights) and robes for men and women (color-coded), but I'm sure in the summer its a great place to hang out.

For people who come to Chicago, this place is really in a prime location. Surrounded by fantastic restaurants. If you are from out of town, PLEASE do not waste your money on hotel restaurants unless it is world renowned. This is not to say that the food is not good, but Chicago has a plethora of PHENOMENAL restaurants within walking distance of Dana Hotel. You can walk to John Hancock, Water Tower Place, Shops at 900 Michigan, and for bargain hunters, Nordstrom Rack and Marshalls. Museums are maybe 10 minutes away (by public transportation)... Public transportation is within walking distance, but the Hotel does have valet. I believe the going rate was $43/night. (if you're a good haggler and just go straight to the parking guys, you may be able to get a better deal if you deal with them instead of through the hotel)

My husband and I enjoyed our night at the Dana Hotel, and are sure to recommend this place to others.

1 Thank romancatm
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I chose to try a new hotel on our most recent trip to the city. The hotel had its pros and cons, but I would say more pros than cons.

Pros:
The doormen were always so courteous and helpful, especially TJ. The concierge was also very helpful and even gave us a free coupon and VIP seating pass for Gino's East.
The hotel was in a great location--we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go and many restaurants and bars were located nearby.
We loved our room--a corner king with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city. We were in room 2316 and had a great view, but I think across the hall they would be looking more at a large building of condos, so it does kind of depend on your floor and location as to how good the view is.
We loved the decor--very minimalist and modern.
The shower was great, but as others on here mentioned, probably not well-suited for a family with kids! As a couple, we had no issues with the lack of privacy.

The cons:
We had one unpleasant experience with a staff member. We found our Keurig this morning to not work. We called up and within a few minutes, David came up. He was the one staff member here who never smiled and was just overall grumpy and unfriendly. I could tell he thought we just didn't know how to use it as he tinkered with it for awhile and didn't bring a replacement with him. He finally said he'd get a new one, which took over 10 min. He came back up and threw our stuff around trying to get the new one plugged in. The replacement worked fine, but his bad attitude left a sour taste in my mouth.

On the 23rd floor, we could hear the bass from Vertigo. I can only imagine what it's like on the 25th floor! If this would bother you, request a lower level. I also didn't like how the hotel manages Vertigo guests. We got back late on Sat. evening and there was a line almost out the door waiting for the elevators to go up. We managed to squeeze by all of them (with some dirty looks from some people assuming we were trying to jump line). The security guy at the top did tell us to go right on through once we said we were hotel guests, but I just think the process could be streamlined. Maybe have one elevator set aside just for Vertigo and find a better way to form the line so hotel guests can get in and out easier. Then we got crammed on an elevator with all the Vertigo guests. I just think the hotel should re-think the night club guest entrance issues.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again on another trip to the city. I do think the hotel is better for couples rather than families.

Room Tip: Get a corner room for great views. Ask for a lower floor if Vertigo noise will bother you.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Good size room, huge windows, private balcony, great products. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family