New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“great hotel in the middle of town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #45 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
intsik
“great hotel in the middle of town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

got a jettsetter deal with a great rate. wifi was free, and the room came with a $10 daily breakfast credit.

got a nice corner room, which i preferred compare to the ones with floor to ceiling windows which you could see from the street. but as with other reviewers here, had trouble with thin doors/walls. could near a lot of noise from the hallway.

the room itself was very good. comfortable bed. enough storage and workspace. my only issue was the overstocked minibar. i could not use the ref, and there were just too many things in the ref and on the table.

awesome bathroom. great rain shower, water pressure and temp.

hotel service was nice and polite. valets and bellhops very helpful. breakfast at the resraurant was rock solid too.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I booked this hotel via Expedia as a wildcard. Supposedly 40% discount off the published rate. I was ripped off by Expedia and the hotel, only getting 20% discount off what was the walk in rate for the room. Of course expedia did nothing.

This was made worse by the fact that my room was located on the 25th floor under the disco. The bass was dreadful. I complained but of course the hotel did nothing.

The hotel staff attitude was dismissive. They did not help at all.

Don't stay there. Overpriced and poor service. Disgusting.

Room Tip: Don't book it. I
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Chris W
danahotelandspa, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to bring your recent stay to our attention. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority, and I am sorry you did not experience that during your stay. We were able to locate your booking which will allow us to pin point our coaching and counseling efforts. We hope the next time your travels bring you to Chicago you give us another shot and please feel free to contact me directly.

best regards,
liana clark
director of sales and marketing
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is a modern hotel with unpainted concrete ceilings in the rooms, glass wall from the bedroom to the shower and free wifi. Good beds, clean rooms and well staffed with helpful people

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed for 3 nights April 27 - April 30. I had booked the room with southwest as part of a vacation package. Upon arrival, the doorman, TJ, was incredibly friendly and helpful. The girl at the front was also helpful and offered us a room with more windows which we accepted. The view was wonderful and location is great. The room was cleaned daily. My main complaint is when checking out, I was asked if I wanted a receipt, I said yes. Then I was told I had no receipt because I had prepaid (which I had prepaid through southwest) but I always like to verify charges when my account information has been scanned. When I arrived back home I checked my account and had 150 dollar charge from the hotel. I called the hotel and was told "oh it's probably an incidental deposit and will be credited back in 35 days after checkout." I think if you are going to charge someone, you "probably" should be able to indicate what the charge is for especially when the tv screen said no charges as well as the front desk and the fees were charged the second night of our stay. And 35 days for the credit to appear? I think this is misleading and staff should "probably" offer to look into customer's inquiries as good business measure rather than rush them off the phone.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank JenCab
mtzion ill
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

As we entered the lobby we thought wow this looks nice and upbeat and fun. But, the more the day wore on the more disappointment set in. First we got pedicures which were ok but overpriced. Go figure. The next was the workout facility. It had 2 treadmills which only 1 worked 1 bike and some weights. We were led to believe there were 2 restaurants in the hotel one on the top floor one in the lobby. As we soon find out that the room we are in on the 25th floor was actually under the dance club on the 26th floor that lasted until 3am very big disappointment. Overall I would have to say not again:( They actually refunded our spa money to compensate for our troubles they entirely missed the point they need to worn people that it is VERY loud on the top floors

Room Tip: Anything on the lower level
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank redlips24065
Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The front desk staff was very friendly. The room (#1216) was a corner room on the 12th floor. It had floor-ceiling windows for two of the "walls," which provided an awesome view and plenty of light. The room was modern, had plenty of outlets, a powerful shower (raining shower head), LCD flat screen, free wi-fi and all the other amenities of a modern hotel. My room rate came with a $10 voucher for breakfast.

The breakfast menu included a "breakfast club" sandwich for $10 (free after my voucher). It was incredibly good. Scrambled egg, spinach, avocado, applewood bacon, spiced chipotle mayo and some cheese I think, on multi-grain bread. It came with potatoes. The whole thing was very good, surprisingly good - usually breakfast is breakfast.

The hotel is right next to a Starbucks and a short walk to Lou Malnaty's Pizza, Ed Debevic's and a ton of other restaurants. (See reviews for Lou Malnaty's and Ed Debevic's)

Highly recommend this place - Awesome hotel.

Room Tip: Request a corner room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Danield528
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed one night for a friends birthday. Totally didn't know there was a club on the top floor. Very upset we didn't partake. We were on the 13th floor. Beautiful views. One in our party had a corner balcony room, loved it. Beautiful rooms. Great beds. Nice little extras like iPad port, etc. Going back in September with a group of 20 for my birthday and will DEFINITELY use the club!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends