“Amo Pilsen”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$750.00*
and up
Private Guided Tour by SUV for up to 4 guests...
Ranked #157 of 705 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Chicago's Mexican-American community.
Reviewed October 21, 2016 via mobile

This was my second time visiting Pilsen, first time I went with some locals but this time I brought some friends with me and showed them how awesome this place is. The murals, the vintage stores and of course its people make Pilsen so great.

Reviewed October 15, 2016

We rented an Airbnb property in this neighborhood as one of our family members was running the Chicago Marathon. The marathon runs right through the neighborhood which was very convenient. The crowd was super energetic and supportive of the marathoners. There were so many spectators it was really hard to see our family runner in the course. Restaurants here were very family friendly and accommodating to our group of 8. We didn't have to wait at all for a table either night. Harrison Park was a great place for our kids to run around and blow off steam after a long car ride. The pink line stop is also centrally located. Aside from street parking being pretty limited, we have no negative feedback about this neighborhood.

2  Thank Laura M
Reviewed May 20, 2016 via mobile

One of Chicago's ethnic enclaves, originally German and now largely Mexican. Great for architecture buffs. Good Mexican food

Note the houses with lower floors below sidewalk level. They were built before the sidewalks were installed. Not much yet in the way of shopping, but that's sure to change once the northern neighborhoods like Andersonville fill up

1  Thank K F
Reviewed April 26, 2016

This neighborhood is arty without all the farty. (That's up north. imho)
Hardcore gentrification hasn't hit these streets so you have a mom & pop, DIY, industrial feel. The The National Museum of Mexican Art and Mana Contemporary are here along with many other galleries and funky places that remind me of what Williamsburg (Brooklyn) was like before the big money moved in and bleached the naturally evolving 'flavors' of the place. My art will be richer for having spent time in Pilsen.

3  Thank Zilya
See more reviews
Reviewed April 21, 2016

I live in Chicago more than 20 years but today it was my first visit to Pilsen. I was so surprise! This neighborhood is alive! You won't find here (yet) expensive modern condos. Houses are small and lots are small. But there is a vibe and color and happiness around. Bohemian style neighborhood with a lot of colorful murals (not only under bridges and train tracks but also on buildings all around the area). It used to be very Polish and East-European neighborhood (check St Adalbert Church established in 1914) but now it is a very Spanish area with a beautiful National Museum of Mexican Art.

2  Thank Anna G