“High Maintenance Guest - NO PROBLEM!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #17 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“High Maintenance Guest - NO PROBLEM!”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This hotel was lovely. The staff was all VERY approachable, helpful, & went out of their way to assist me on a number of occasions during my brief stay. I had several packages delivered to the hotel, I asked to ensure my room was bedbug free, & I asked for directions and dinner recommendations. They responded to each of my requests with a smile and were amazingly helpful. Amy & Ryan at the front desk obviously take a great deal of pride in their work. I would stay at Hotel Monaco in Chicago again in an instant.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Ashley W
AGMRyan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Ashley, what a lovely review, thank you! Approachable, helpful, going out of their way to accomodate your needs and assist you... That's the culture at Kimpton and the Monaco we promote and that we'd like all our guests to feel. I'm so glad you had such a great time and that everyone was so helpful. Thank you! We look forward to see you again.
Ryan Parker, AGM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed at Monaco Chicago 12/21/2011. Wanted a quick city escape from the suburbs and Monaco had a great rate for Intouch members (their free membership program - sign up)!
Loved the location! It's right in the middle of the city; a short walking distance to theatres, art museum, Michigan Avenue and next to the river! (I love bridges and was delighted by the river view).

Valet parking is ridiculous ($46 per night) but this is a city! Sheena was very empathic about the high parking rates and booked us in a room with a river view and gave us 2 free drink tickets to soften the parking blow, thanks Sheena!

Kimpton hotels typically have a complimentary wine hour for their guests and we had made it just in time. We were surprised they even had salmon bruschetta bites from their amazing kitchen.
This is the 6th Kimpton we've stayed at and can attest that Kimpton hotels offer the best service and they do not have regular restaurants... their restaurants are excellent!!

We decided to grab a quick bite at the restaurant (South Water Kitchen) where the staff was superb! We paid a sincere compliment to the hostess on how friendly and genuine she was and she treated us to dessert!

Our room was great! The window nook was awesome, great way to unwind, take in the views and nap! The bed and pillows at ALL Kimpton hotels are always extremely comfortable; I never want to leave! Bathroom was a good size and I love the bathrobes!

Another great Kimpton find!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tita M
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Tita,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review and I'm glad that you had a great time with us. Parking is very expensive in Chicago, and just got more expensive on January 1st, when the city raised the parking taxes for the downtown area. The overnight parking is $48 per night, and that includes all taxes. It also allows for you to use your car, as many times as you need during your stay with us. There are other garages around, that offers self parking, but you have to pay the parking fees, everytime you exit the garage.
We highly recommend for our guests to use public transportation around Chicago, it is so close by to the hotel. Our staff can definitely assist you in planning your trips around Chicago via the Elevated Subway or the various busses.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave the review!

Marco Scherer
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 February 2012

The staff was awesome. They knew that it was our anniversary and had a bottle of champagne waiting for us in our suite. The room was clean, well dressed, and had the best view overlooking the Chicago river and upper Wacker drive. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chstypllr213
AGMRyan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
And we will be definitely happy to have you back! Happy Anniversary and thank you for sharing your experience with everyone. We're very glad we could help make it special for you.
~Ryan
Grayslake, Illinois
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Great location and service. The wine tasting at 5:00 was complemented by guitars and a vocalist - a nice touch in the lobby. The room was well appointed - love the bay window seating overlooking the river. The night time view of Marina Towers is classic Chicago. The robes in the room were animal print - for a little variety - and also for sale if you want to pack them. The only glitch was the glass of wine we purchased at the bar was bad - but it was quickly rectified once it was brought to their attention. It seems like they are targeting a younger demagraphic with their weekend deals on the discount sites - and by the folks we saw in the elevator and such - it seems they are succeeding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the corner for the best view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovestoroam78
What an awesome turn out we had for wine hour on Saturday night for The Garfield Brothers Band! I'm thrilled you enjoyed them, it sure was a nice atmopshere. From the sounds of your room, it looks like you must have had one of our upgraded River View rooms. They are so worth it, aren't they? I love that romantic view and it makes the city look so cool! So sorry about the wine mishap at the bar, and I'm sure they fixed that immediately.
Looking forward to seeing you again. Cheers,
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 February 2012

What is there to not love about this place? A clean and posh place where people can bring their dogs with no problem?! Amazing. This was our first time bringing our 50 lb. mutt on vacation and we wanted a clean and comfortable place to stay in the heart of Chicago. The moment we all arrived , we all fell in love with Hotel Monaco. Unfortunately, I did not "like" kimpton hotels on my facebook prior to checking in, so i did not see the magic password that you can say during check in, and you can get things from room upgrades to a meal or whatever the surprise is that day. The one thing i did do is to sign up for, was their loyalty program, so we were able to get free wifi. Now, when we book hotels, the first hotel chain we look for now is Kimpton. Really hope this hotel chain expands more so we can bring our pooch to more places!

Room Tip: Like kimpton on facebook and look out for their secret word
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NJpancakeeater
To our new friends & pooch in Tennessee,
Welcome to the Kimpton family of InTouch members! I want you to know you and your pup are welcome at any of Kimpton's over 50 hotels, where you can always now get free wifi and credits towards future free nights. Did you check out Wine Hour? That's always a good time and when you note on your profile that you have a dog we can always make sure to have a pet amenity set up in your room. Thanks again, and we look forward to having you back (ps- let me know when and I'll start baking the cupcakes we give our Facebook friends).
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We recently spent four nights at Hotel Monaco, Chicago. I will say that we slept well and the room was quiet, but overall the hotel was very disappointing.

I spent quite a long time trying to decide which hotel to book for this trip – it was really important to me to have a nice view where I could sit in the window and enjoy the city. Every picture on the hotel’s website showed window seats, and the reviews all described window seats as big as twin beds. It sounded great, a perfect place to relax and enjoy the city! For the first time in my life, I decided to spend extra money and upgrade for a river view as this was very important to me.

You can imagine my disappointment when I entered the room and saw only one very narrow window (about 3 feet wide) and NO WINDOW SEAT.

I did not realize that this was an “extra” feature that I should have requested, but as the rest of the stay would prove, one had to ask for almost everything that might be assumed standard. I will say that the hotel delivered a fan to my room as requested, but many of the other amenities or lack thereof were very disappointing.

(1) There was no hotel directory book (the little book that lists amenities and maps out the locations of things, etc).

(2) There was no shower cap provided. I expect a disposable shower cap in even basic hotels.

(3)There was no plastic liner bag for the ice bucket. Again, this is something that I have had in even the most basic hotels.

I thought these omissions must have been oversights, so I went down to the front desk the next morning to ask. I was told by the front desk clerk, Ryan, that (1) I probably overlooked the hotel directory (I had not) and (2) the shower cap and ice liner were not, in fact, generally provided amenities and he sneered at me. Ryan was a very unpleasant hotel representative, and he made me feel as though my meager request was a great put-out. I was too afraid to ask him for anything else during the stay. He agreed to have a shower cap and ice bags sent to the room later that day. When we returned, an ice bag and shower cap were provided but were not replenished again throughout the stay. I didn’t know that I needed to ask every single day, but apparently that was the case.

And then the hotel was a little too involved when it came to turn-down service. I don’t expect this as a standard, but unfortunately it seemed to be the case. I don’t like people coming in my room when I am not expecting it, but that’s exactly what happened. I felt very violated by the incident. Who on earth needs turn-down? I can pull down my own sheets, thanks. I soon learned to put the “do not disturb” sign on the door except during the few hours that I wanted my room cleaned.

The hotel also made you feel guilty for getting basic services like clean sheets and towels. The little signs everywhere about “protecting the environment” give you the feeling that if you request clean linens, you might not actually get them. I always imagine the maids saying “tough luck” and just tucking the old ones back in.

Also, the furniture is completely there for aesthetics and is very uncomfortable. I was disappointed as I really wanted the room to be a place of relaxation.

Kimpton implies that it can anticipate your needs, but it did a very poor job with ours. I gave the San Francisco Monaco a top rating during a previous stay, and I expected similar service at this hotel. I did not receive it; instead I felt like my very presence was putting out the hotel staff, and I very much feel that I was a victim of false advertising. I would NEVER have stayed at this hotel had I known that I would receive the pitiful window with no window seat. I think that I will avoid Kimptons in the future. The inconsistency of quality and service is not worth the risk.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bon_voyage79
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Bon_Voyage79:

Thank you for your feedback and I do apologize that we did not live up to the usual excellent standards that the majority of reviewers at TA talk about. I have made sure to share all of your feedback with our team.

Not all of our riverview rooms have the full size window seats, as we also have non-riverview rooms with window seat. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your room. The front desk agents are trained to provide a welcome call, within 30 minutes after checking someone in, to ensure everything is great with the room, or offer to move to another room that would better work for you.

We do provide a lot of amenities to all of our guests which we do not place in the rooms. Including shower caps, coffee makers, humidifiers, Salon Powered Hair Dryers, and even flipcams to film your day in Chicago. Just let us know and we'll deliver it within 15 minutes.

I am sorry that our turndown attendant bothered you in the evening, that's a special service that we offer to all of our Kimpton InTouch members automatically. Behind the door, we do offer a Do Not Disturb door hanger for the times that you wish not to be disturbed.

The signage in the rooms regarding the changing of sheets is part of our Eco Programs. It is completely optional to all of our guests and it's there only to indicate to the guest of what their options are when it comes to their linen and towels. The housekeeping staff is trained on ensuring that your personal preference is met. We offer everything from recycling bins in every guestrooms, to having all of our printed materials printed on recycled paper with soy inks.

Clearly we did not live up to our end of the deal and you did not get what you expected. Since you also filled out a Kimpton survey and we are familiar with your particulars we will be sure to reach out to you.

We hope you will give us another chance to make it right and to truly see what so many of our TA reviewers do.

Thank you.

Marco Scherer
South Bend, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We love Kimpton Hotels. We try to stay in them anytime there is one in the vicinity of where we are staying. We tried the Monaco in Chicago for a friend's birthday this last December. The Mediterranean Suites are spacious and well laid out. The remodel they recently completed is quirky yet sophisticated. The concierge was nice enough to put some gourmet cupcakes in the room for the birthday girl. The wine hour was nice and the staff was very attentive. The only problem with the whole stay was we found some of the previous hotel guests' trash left behind the pillows on the chaise. Other than that, quality stay and a fun time at Monaco.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrew C
Oh no! Sorry about the housekeeping mishap! I like to think our team keeps this place polished, but it looks like we missed a spot. Otherwise, I'm so glad you had a good time and that our concierges, whether Ryan or Rich, was able to set you up nice for your daughters birthday. Happy Birthday to her and we look forward to seeing you again.