“Gorgeous, classic hotel with 5-star service and amenities!”

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
Ranked #96 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I had the supreme pleasure of staying at the Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park while on a business trip earlier this year, and was immediately taken in by the spacious lobby (with fabulous wine bar!) with high-end appointments in both the lobby, restaurant and room.

The staff is polite, friendly and helpful...although I found the doormen to have a bit more "personality" than the front desk staff. The doormen, room service and housekeeping staff, in their smart uniforms, are courteous and exemplify the higher standard of service one could expect from this prestigious chain of hotels. They are the true lifeblood of this Grande Dame.

One MUST experience Aria, the Fairmont's on-site bistro with menu designed by Top Chef contestant, Chef Beverly Kim. The menu is sublime. Kim really has a intriguing way of mixing flavors and textures that are bright and unique, and truly delectable. Our lunch was one of the best meals I have had in Chicago.

The Spa at the Fairmont is definitely worth a visit - nothing melts away the stress from a busy work week than a massage and hot towel wrapped around your face, hands and feet - pure bliss.

Will definitely return upon my next visit to the Windy City - highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Milennium Park side for a terrific view, and away from the elevators to avoid...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,081)

Reviewed 21 February 2012

In walking distance of Houlihans and the movies. We had a lakeside view on the 33rd floor. Spectacular!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

The rooms are very nice. Rooms with a great view to the south can be had at a reasonable price if you look for specials. There are plenty of other places to eat and drink. Park in the millenium park underground garages.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We enjoyed our overnight stay at the Fairmont Chicago. The lobby was very nice with a bar right in the middle. Enjoyed a fine selection of wine and ate some gourmet chocolates too. Missed the extensive cheese selection offered earlier in the evening.
Rooms were good sized, but walls were thin. Children next door were quite noisy in the morning.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Fantastic hotel. Very clean and spacious room, attractive lobby, very friendly staff. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I was able to get a great deal on this hotel by shopping on Priceline. I did the priceline search the day I planned to travel, so I imagine the hotel was at the point where they knew they weren't going to fill the room and were willing to sell for a lot less. That said, the room was awesome, hotel was modern, and staff was nice. We didn't eat there, but it looked like their menu and options were great too. I was in the room with my two boys (6 and 7 yrs) and we all fit OK in there. They loved the room as well. Our room had 3 windows, plus lake view. We had a huge flatscreen TV in the room and every other modern accessory. The bathroom felt clean and modern too. The location was the best, as it was walking distance to many sightseeing places and clearly easy to take a train or grab a taxi. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I selected the Fairmont Millenium Park in Chicago for its location, which is quite near the attractions my friend and I were planning to visit during our brief weekend stay. I also selected it due to my Fairmont Presidents' Club Membership (highly recommend this - it's free and you get free wi-fi, among other benefits) and the great rates being offered. While this doesn't rate as my favorite Fairmont (the Scottsdale Princess and the Kea Lani in Maui beat this hands-down) it still boasted the nice amenities I expect from the brand.

We were invisibly upgraded to a high-floor, view room, which was quite nice to discover upon our arrival. The room was not huge, but very comfortable, with a sofa and a desk in addition to the two queen beds. The beds and bedding were comfortable. The bathroom, while large, was not the best for two friends to share, as only one could use it at a time (as opposed to having the sink area separate from the shower area). But there was a handy little shelf outside the bathroom so one could be applying make-up or drying hair while the other was showering.

The one room negative was that the walls were quite thin and we could hear conversations in the next room. We also could hear an alarm clock go off and ring for what seemed like forever, as the previous room guest probably set it and then checked out. Lack of privacy is not something I expect from a higher tier hotel.

The hotel lobby is sparse, with a bar that only seemed to be staffed now and then. The public areas of the hotel felt neither welcoming nor off-putting. They were unremarkable.

The very best part of the stay was that the staff at the desk and door were extremely friendly and helpful. They allowed us a very late check-out (5:30 pm on the day of our departure) without batting an eye, which reminded me why I like Fairmont. They were very accommodating.

The hotel is walking distance to the Art Institute of Chicago, and there's a great little cafe along the way, the Toni Patisserie. We loved it and ate there both mornings. Very reasonable and friendly, with to-die-for pastries. The cafe is also along the route to the Willis Tower, which is also walkable, albeit a bit far when it's 29 degrees and the wind is blowing.

There is no walkable night-life from this hotel. We took cabs to restaurants and clubs, which were easy and quick. Most cab fares to downtown restaurants, House of Blues, etc., ran about $9 for the two of us. There is a very handy drugstore directly across the street for snacks, drinks and forgotten items.

I would stay here again if I had a similar itinerary, but next time I may want to spend more time in the shopping district, in which case I would choose a hotel closer to that area. If you want to go to the Pier, the Art Institute, the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, then this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends