“Very nice”

Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park
Ranked #96 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 August 2007

We stayed at the Fairmont for the Chicago Air and Water Show. We arrived early and we were able to check in right away. The service was great!!!! We were upgraded to a Lake View room. We were in room 2003 on the 20th floor. The room was nice. The view was incredible, we had a south view of the city, millenium park, grant park, and the musuem campus. We were able to see Buckingham Fountain it was a very nice view.

We liked the fact that the windows opened, it was great to get fresh air in the room. The decor was ok, it reminded me of something my grandmother would find as "fancy" not as modern as I like but very nice. The bedding was comfortable, there were marble tops on the dressers and bed stands. The room was very large. The bathroom was great....seperate tub and shower, robes provided on the back door. They supplied enough towels (so many hotels are stingy with towels) the bath supplies were nice, and the toliet was in an enclosed area with a sliding door. There were marble tops and floors in the bathroom but once again it seemed a little worn. There was a vanity with lights outside the bathroom...it was very 80's but a nice touch if updated. We had no use for the closet since we were there just one night but it was huge.

Room service was very good, very quick and polite. We ordered 2 sandwiches one with fries, one with salad. We also ordered chicken fingers from the kids menu with fruit salad. It was great!!!! Very efficient, the gentleman who brought our food set up a table in the room and we rather enjoyed the dinner and experience. It cost about $50 which in the Chicago Michigan Avenue area at this is a good price for in-room dining for three. The fruit salad was out of this world not 3 pieces of melon thrown on the plate it had blueberries, rasberries, blackberries, cantalope and honeydew. The salad was also good not just a few pieces of iceburg....it had a european blend with carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers.

The breakfast buffet was adequate. Not worth the $25 per person. Our daughter was free, but the buffet was not replenished and consisted of 2 types of eggs, sausage, bacon,
fruit, yogurt and pastries...there was also some lox, capers, tomatoes and onions. If you need to eat in the hotel it is ok but if you can venture out to Michigan Ave. there was some places for much less money and better quality. I am suprised since other Fairmont's I have stayed at (Banff) have the most incredible breakfast buffets. The staff in the restaurant were very sweet. Georgia in the restaurant was especially nice. The coffee was great!!!!

The lobby is beautiful with nice places to sit, even thought it is all marble and grand...it is very warm and inviting. The location is great for Navy Pier and Michigan Ave. and Millenium Park. We self parked at AON Center to save money, Valet is over $40.

Over all we loved this place...it was nice, friendly, the room was large and the location was great!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank nguyens
Write a ReviewReviews (3,035)

Reviewed 11 August 2007

We stayed at the Fairmont Chicago the first weekend of August 2007. The check-in person was very nice, and took our luggage tags promising to get our stuff delivered to our room. 1.5 hours and numerous calls later we still hadnt received our luggage in our room. I finally had to go downstairs and track down our luggage with the bell man.

Our room was on the sixth floor with a lakeview (supposedly), but could only see a small sliver of the lake with numerous other buildings blocking our view. There is another building planned to come up right in front of it in around 2-3 years and that should block all the remaining view plus provide lots of construction disturbance in the meantime.

The room itself was fine and clean and spacious. But given the star level and how much I paid for this room, I expected a whole lot more. I found the Swissotel across the street much nicer compared to this.

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank prashpai
Reviewed 10 August 2007

I was in Chicago the week of Independence Day for vacation. I was very pleased with the Fairmont Chicago. The room I stayed in was very clean and in good order. I dined at the hotel each night of my stay. I was pleased with the vegetarian choices since I am mostly vegetarian. The room service was quick and friendly.

The Fairmont Chicago is in an ideal location. I walked to the Art Institute and the Archictectural River Cruise. And it was a short hop by public transit to the Museum of Contemporary Art and The Historical Society.

I am a runner and I was glad to use the indoor track in the adjacent health club. I told them that I was a Fairmont President's Club member and was able to use the facility free.

I recommend this hotel to others and plan to return again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank roadrunner23
Reviewed 6 August 2007

Made last minute reservations to stay overnight for the nearby Taste of Chicago and the fireworks.

Just a great hotel thoughout.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2007

Very elegant with excellent service. Great location near the South Shore railroad station and the Metra as well as one block from Michigan Avenue. Very clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2007

Stayed here for a 4 day business trip. The rooms in this hotel are very nice. The beds are very comfortable, business set up is more than adequate with very good internet service. Rooms are spacious and clean, with the bathroom set away from the main area of the room. Guests have the choice of either a shower stall or sit-in bath. Save yourself some money and join their President's Club and you receive free telephone and internet usage. This savings can be substantial. The one thing that stood out here was the staff. My name was always used and you felt the guest's experience was very important. Doormen taking the time to check cabs for left items when each guest departed a cab. When I pointed this out to one of the doormen his answer was "This is your home while your in Chicago. I wouldn't want your time here to be ruined by a lost phone." I appreciate that, since it has happend before. This hotel also has a great lobby lounge, which is the perfect meeting place for socializing. The staff here is also quick and polite. Although I did not eat at the restaurant I have heard that it is very good too.
The only drawback is the valet parking charge of $45 per day. I understand that parking is at a premium in Chicago, but $45 seems high. So, my two tips, invest in the cab ride from the airport and join their President's Club.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Jonathan F
Reviewed 23 July 2007

I have stayed at the Fairmont a couple of times now, for business. The rooms are very comfortable, especially the beds - important to business travelers! There is a nice desk with internet connection, did not have any problems getting on line. The bathroom is separated from the room, which just creates a little nicer "living" space. I recommend a higher floor, have heard there are sometimes noise issues at night -- i did not experience this as i stayed on higher floor. There is a nice bar in the front of the lobby, as well as a restaurant. Plus there is a decent sized convenience store, these amenities are nice since it is not located on Michigan Ave like some of its competitors are.
The fitness club is not owned by Fairmont, but they do comp you a pass at the gym next door, which is huge and very nice - and just a short underground walk. Overall I would call the Fairmont a solid choice.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business