New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles
“Used to be Hotel Blake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed here in May '10 when this was still known as Hotel Blake. Was hoping this wouldn't become part of a big chain so that there prices would stay nice and manageable. Ohh well...
Being located only a few minutes from Michigan Ave and famous Buckingham Fountain, it is also located close to several different CTA stations, so getting around town is quite easy.

There are a couple of entrances into the hotel. One is shared with the entrance to Custom House, a restaurant on the corner of Congress Pkwy (they make their own ice cream!!). The main entrance is closer to the middle of the block. The lobby is off the main entrance and there is a nice long hallway leading to the lobby from the secondary entrance. Between both entrances is the business center with a couple of computers and nice comfy leather chairs. The folks at the reception were nice, courteous, and professional. The room was nice and large with a king size bed, a comfy lounge chair, TV console with flat screen TV, and a comfy bench at the end of the bed. The room not only looked plush and rich, but everything actually was. The room even came with bathrobe and house slippers. The bed was so comfy after a long day of walking around town, but the warm shower before that was even more so with a nice rainfall shower head.

All in all one of the most comfortable places I stayed in for a couple of days and for the price, there was no other place I would have preferred to stay.

Room Tip: If you can, try to get a room with a city view.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago! We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel! Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. Be sure to “Like” us on Facebook to learn about upcoming specials and promotions. We look forward to your next stay with us soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Turkish first
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed at the Wyndham Blake for three nights while attending a conference. The quality of the accommodation was very good and all staff were professional and welcoming. My room was spacious and well equipped. It was a bit noisy, but then this is a city centre hotel.
Special mention should be made of one particular member of staff who made my visit memorable. The doorman/concierge "Showtime" was a one-man information centre on restaurants, transport, local attractions and pretty much anything else you needed to know! His enthusiasm and humour are a credit to the hotel and he is a valuable asset to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back if you don't like traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago! We appreciate your excellent review of our hotel. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. I have passed along your comments to our staff and they were pleased to hear that we made your trip memorable. On your next stay, we suggest requesting a room on a higher floor to be further from the city noise and have a great view of Chicago. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I travelled to Chicago in November 2011 for a five-day stay in the Windy City. It was our first trip and we plan on returning many more times in the future - and we'll be sure to stay at the Wyndham Blake. The hotel is in a terrific location - just south of many of the more expensive hotels in the Loop, close to Starbucks and super accessible to the L subway system.

Our room was a terrific size, always clean, had an amazingly comfortable bed and terrific bathroom. The hotel staff were super friendly - the doorman is a total gem and helped us get a private car the one time we cabbed around the city.

The area is very safe, accessible to at least three L stations and in my opinion was worth the money. There's WiFi available which is a must when I travel and the bed linens/towels/bath products were terrific.

My only complaint would be the hotel restaurant - skip it, it's overrated, expensive and underwhelming - and the street noise. Our room faced South Dearborn Street and it was a bit noisy in the morning. Other than that, totally recommend the hotel and city - we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Request a room facing away from South Dearborn - you'll probably get a better view of the Willis...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your excellent review of the Wyndham Blake Chicago! We are thrilled to hear about your wonderful stay! I have passed along your comments to our staff and they were happy to hear that we made your trip memorable. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. Custom House Tavern is an award-winning restaurant with a reputation for their excellent food and service. We apologize that they did not live up to your expectations. On your next visit, we hope that you will give them another try, or discuss other options with our front desk and doormen if you would prefer. We also suggest requesting a room on a higher floor to be further from the city noise and have a great view of Chicago. Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay with us!
Fiji
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in February. Check in and out were seamless, room was spacious, modern, clean, and well serviced. Minor problems with web dropout and a very basic breakfast offering.

Location is handy to business in down town and the attitude of staff was friendly and efficient. The attached bar and restaurant has great food and service.

Would not hesitate to recommend the Wyndham Blake to those who prefer smaller hotels and who need to be in this location for business.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems there are one or two "split" floors (without direct level ac...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your excellent review of the Wyndham Blake Chicago! We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. We apologize that our WiFi was not working properly at the time of your stay. We are currently working on our bandwidth to accommodate our guests. Unfortunately, we have discontinued our breakfast service. We do offer coffee in our Business Center, and there are several restaurants in the area that offer breakfast. Again, we are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Wyndham Blake Chicago and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Hercules, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed here this past weekend. I have to say it was a great stay. Hotel was clean. Nice decor. Not sure if it is like this in all rooms, but our shower had no door or curtain! It was a little weird to be all exposed like that, but I just made sure I locked the bathroom door. Also, the shower floors are really slippery when wet. I am surprised there is no matting on the floor to prevent a slip and fall.

Room service is available if you wish to take advantage of it. I did not, so I can't tell you how it was.

Fitness Center is available on the second floor. I did use that and I have to say it was good. They have the standard treadmill, elliptical, and bike. There is also a machine weight set too. The center was very clean and the equipment well kept.

The hotel is right next to the LaSallle St. Station on the Blue Line for CTA. It was so convenient for myself! Easy to get on and transfer at other stops and it is a direct 40 minute ride from O'Hare.

On thing that I didn't like was the fact that there was no type of continental breakfast. Not even pastries and coffee! I know that there is a restaurant attached to the hotel, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on just breakfast! Dunkin Donuts is right across the way, and I made good use of them!

Also, I don't know why a few reviews give a thumbs down to the doorman, but I thought he was a good guy. He was very helpful and did give us some names of places to see and check out. "Showtime" was what he went by....good guy!

I can't think of anything else except next time I am in Chicago, I would stay here again. Decent hotel in a decent location for a decent price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with the Wyndham Blake Chicago! We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback on our showers and will take your comments into consideration for your future stay. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. Unfortunately, we have discontinued our breakfast service. We do offer coffee in our Business Center, and we are close to a variety of restaurants with different price ranges. Be sure to “like” us on Facebook to learn about upcoming specials and promotions. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Pictures of the Wyndham Black are deceiving. Felt it was too expensive for the experience. The concierge kept trying to get us to go to tourist attractions though we told him we visit the city all the time and already had plans. Shame on us, but at one point he walked us over to a jazz club he obviously had a deal with. He sat us in the very front where there was a two drink minimum and directly in front of the band, which was far from good. We drank our drinks, promptly left, and avoided him the rest of the trip. Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aobersutton
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. I have passed your comments along to our General Manager in regards to the incidents with our doormen. We would appreciate it if you would contact him at (312) 986-1234 so that we can address your issues in further detail. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to your return to the Wyndham Blake Chicago. I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to show you the best we have to offer.
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I was pleasantly surprised at the size and decor of our room. It had a king size bed, desk, dresser, end of bed chaise, and in front of the 3 windows, 2 chairs and a end table. Although the bathroom was huge, with a double sink, I didn't care for the shower. The shower had a rain fall shower head, this is because the shower is set up so that you are basically taking a shower behing a piece of glass that only covers half of the shower opening. While it looks cool, it certaintly isn't very functional. Other than that I loved the room. The food service was great, I ordered it every day during my stay for breakfest and the hotel staff very pleasant. It is within walking distance of everything in the Loop and only 2 blocks from the train. I took the Blue Line back to the airport no problem!
Note:I accompanied my boyfriend on a business trip and he was booked to stay at the Union League Club and his room was tiny and outdated, thank god we didn't "stay" there......We will definitely stay here next time in town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AceAnalyst
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at The Wyndham Blake Chicago! We are thrilled to hear that you had a great stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback on our showers and will take your comments into consideration for your future stay. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. Be sure to “like” us on Facebook to learn about upcoming specials and promotions. Again, we are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Wyndham Blake Chicago and can’t wait to see you again soon!