1,746 results
All reviews rooms are small boutique hotel whole foods small desk few blocks closet space michigan ave river north front desk staff bed was very comfortable downtown chicago location is great the magnificent mile couple blocks mag mile navy pier lobby
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I booked Hotel Felix as a package deal on Expedia with my flight to Chicago. The pictures looked great but I did read through reviews about the small rooms...paid extra for double beds since I was not traveling alone.

Location: First of all, the location of the hotel was great for us. It's very close to State Street, Magnificent Mile, etc. without being in the thick of it. It's just outside of those areas so you still have the peace and quiet of a quaint neighborhood. The hotel is also located within walking distance of many great eateries, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, a U.S. Post Office, etc.

Cleanliness: Well this is where it lacked quite a bit. The cleaning service they did was...almost non-existent. The first day we checked in at about 3:00pm, we were trying to catch some rest but the maid service kept banging on our door. We just checked in, we do not need service. Secondly, it seems like they do not know what a duster is - our room was filled with dust every day. There was one day where our room was not cleaned - we got back to the hotel at about 8pm - suddenly a woman just lets herself in the room (no knocking) and quickly apologizes and closes the door (to be fair – there is a privacy lock and a secondary lock which we forgot to activate this night). I'll assume that was the maid...at 8:30pm.

I found hairs around the room of different colors so I knew they didn't belong to me. Overall - it just felt...unclean. I did notice a slight improvement at the end of the week when another maid was working the floor.

Room: As other reviewers have mentioned - the rooms are small. There is basically no closet. I lived out of my suitcases, the beds include two drawers each if you want to use it. We had a double room so we were fit in pretty tight. We were also placed on the third floor which gave us a nice view of a cement wall outside our window.

The walls are a bit thin. I knew when my neighbor was coming/going, taking a shower, etc. Luckily we were placed in the corner so I didn't have to hear too much hallway noise.

Microwave/Mini Fridge: NONE

Air Conditioning: I guess as a green hotel, their air conditioning units only allow for automatic settings. Our AC unit kept kicking on and off during the night - it was loud and got really hot in between the kick-ons.

Bathroom: The bathroom is actually a good size. There is a complete lack of counter space which made getting ready a bit of a headache. The shower head was pretty weak and I didn't like that there was no bottom water spout...and the shower head was not one of those removable heads.

Staff: I didn't talk much to the staff. When I checked in - the staffer had a bit of a speech issue and I had to keep having to ask him to repeat his question...and he finally snapped his question out. Wonderful, thanks for the welcome. Greetings back to the hotel were scattered and my check-out staff was cold and short.

Internet: Free Wi-fi! This is definitely a huge plus for me. I had almost no issues with the wifi during this trip. There was one day where I saw a huge crowd checking in and that day, the internet was much slower...but all in all - it worked great! Loved having the free wifi.

Would I stay here again? I would consider it...it really wasn't too bad and I thought we got a pretty good deal on our stay. I don't know if I would highly recommend it to others.

Tip: If you have an iPhone - it's a god-send. The Yelp application helped us find some of the best eats!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
FelixHotel, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for your thorough review of the hotel. We're happy to hear you had an enjoyable time and we hope you'll end up selecting us for the second visit. Regarding the cleanliness, that's of the utmost importance to us. We'll investigate the situation and conduct remedial training as appropriate. Again, thank you for your review and have a great day.

Reviewed May 8, 2011

Really nice hotel with free wifi and HBO. Easy to park right across the street.

Room Tip: Get a room high up in the building.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jockethetraveler
FelixHotel, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2011

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the Windy City. We're happy to hear you were able to take advantage of some of the amenities and enjoyed the convenient location near the famed Magnificent Mile. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2011

I've heard of people being charged many hundreds for these rooms; do not pay that. Find a deal or find another place. This is designed as a mod business traveler's hotel: tiny closet is actually just a narrow low-hung bar in a nook. The quarters are tight, fine for one but not for two. My room was never cleaned in two nights. Room service breakfast was average, but on time. Front desk staff was surly -- well, nighttime staff was. Morning staff was okay but deeply slow. The doormen are lovely though. In all, if you just need a place to crash that is within walking distance of good restaurants, this is acceptable as long as you don't pay boutique prices.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank HaCoMo
Reviewed May 7, 2011

My feelings about the Hotel Felix are mixed. The hotel is in a good location and the rooms and lobby are well-designed. The doormen and the bellhops are VERY friendly and helpful.

However: if I had paid full price to stay here, I would have been unhappy. The rooms are tiny. No, I mean TINY. REALLY, REALLY tiny. I didn't have room to put my suitcase on the fold-out suitcase holder because it would have blocked the door; I was unable to remove my shoes from my suitcase because I would not have had anywhere to put them; there are no closets, just a corner of the room with a hanging bar. The room basically has space for the bed and that's it -- I've stayed many places in NYC and Europe and I can deal with a small room, but these are exceptionally small. Another problem: there was no electrical outlet in my bathroom. Want to use the blow dryer? You have to do it in the bedroom, where the light is terrible -- this is a real problem for a woman with business meetings who needs to look polished.

Basically, in addition to the size and design issues, my big problem was that the front desk staff was lackadaisical at best and surly at worst. I called down to see if I could get a robe (my room didn't have a robe when I checked in; the towels were also still stained with someone else's make-up). They never brought me one. I called the front desk to see if they could tell me how long it would take to get to O'Hare, and when I expressed disbelief at the clerk's estimate of an hour (at 11am), he actually snapped at me. (For what it's worth, the trip to O'Hare instead took 22 minutes.) I had issues checking out, and my key kept getting demagnetized, and every time I tried to deal with these problems, the staff acted as if they were doing me a favor -- on one occasion, in fact, I went down to get my key fixed and there was no one at the front desk for over fifteen minutes. I actually had to call them on the phone to come out and help. So I don't know what's happening there, but the service from the front desk was off-putting.

All that being said, I did find the beds very comfortable and I appreciated the free WiFi. I ordered breakfast room service, and it came quickly and was very good. The coffee was particularly good. But given the price, I think you probably have better options in a town like Chicago, where there are so many hotels.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I guess if you are looking for a big room, this isn't the place for you. But for our three-night visit to Chicago, it was perfect. It had a great bed, flat-screen TV on the wall in front of it, and a bathroom including a large shower with a rain showerhead. The doorman/concierge gave us excellent advice on restaurants, including the nearby Yolk for breakfast, and we also enjoyed Cafe Iberico and Cyrano's Bistrot in the neighborhood.

Maybe best of all: Because the hotel is so new, and so green, everything was spotless and clean-smelling.

Yes, we were sent there by Priceline, but if I were to visit Chicago again, I would hope to get it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying at our hotel and we're thrilled you enjoyed your visit. We'll share your praises with our team, including our always-helpful doormen and concierge. We hope to see you again soon. Have a great day.