“Good location, safe neighbourhood, small but clean room”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #122 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just came back from my 4 nights at this hotel. It was good for the price that I bid for $75/night. I think it is a bargain at that location. It is convenient, Whole foods, MacDonald's close by, and Red-Chicago Subway station is only a couple of blocks away. The N. Michigan Ave., is also a few blocks away.

The room was quite small but clean. They also provide H2O bath products which I thought was excellent. There was one dubious report of bed bugs in the bed bug registry so I checked the bed thoroughly when I arrived and there were none to be found...Yay!

There were some previous reviews about a church opposite the hotel that provide free meals for the homeless, and required a pass to get into the hotel after 9pm which I thought was totally untrue. You need a hotel card to operate the elevator after 9pm that's all, I had no problem getting into the lobby after mid-night and there is always somebody at the front desk at night.
Also, they forgot to mention that there are a couple of very high-end condo buildings just across the road from the hotel.

However, what they said about the bathroom sink was true, I don't know what the designer was thinking, it looks chic but totally impractical. The sink is so shallow that you will have a hard time putting a glass under the tap. Also the room was very small, definitely not enough for 2 people. It was just slightly bigger than my single room in Florence, Tokyo and Osaka. And yes, I keep banging my knee against the bed frame like other reviewers have said and the air conditioning was very noisy, fortunately, I didn't have to turn it on most of the time. And my window was facing the building under construction next door so there was no view whatsoever. Thank goodness that they don't seem to be working on that building at all otherwise I think it will be very noisy during the day.

Room Tip: Do ask for 2 beds if you have 2 or more people in a room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank CharlieTO
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for your review following your stay with us while in Chicago. We're glad you enjoyed our convenient location and our deluxe ~H2O+ amenities. Regarding the subject of bed bugs, we have not had any complaints of bed bugs and our rooms are routinely inspected to ensure we remain bed bug free. We're happy to answer any questions or concerns our guests have, if any arise please call us at (312) 447-3440. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,649)

Reviewed 8 April 2012

While the room was very small, it was very comfortable. The whole hotel was clean and nicely decorated. I walked from there to the art museum and to the Navy Pier. The staff was helpful and friendly. I ate dinner at the bar area, the food was amazing! The bar tender was very funny and everyone in the bar area was having a good time.

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our chic, clean decor, our location in the center of downtown Chicago and our helpful staff. We hope you visit us again soon! Thank you.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I had read some of the negative reviews of this hotel, but it was so much better than expected. The adjectives I would use to describe it are serene, comfortable, appealing, gracious. The rooms were a little small, but what to do people expect at this price and in this location? The decorating was very cool and modern, but not intimidating. The employees were courteous and helpful. The bathroom was large. And somehow they make the sheets smell so good! I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms near the elevator. I could hear the elevator beep when it arrived at our floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for writing a review following your visit. We love the adjectives you used to describe your stay: serene, comfortable, appealing and gracious. Lovely! Thank you. We hope to see you again soon. Have a great day.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We had a lovely stay at Hotel Felix. Friendly staff, cozy room with all the amenities, beautiful view and great food at the hotel restaurant. Would recommend to couples looking for a romantic getaway.

1  Thank MBlack856

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're thrilled you appreciate our fantastic employees and outstanding location in the heart of downtown Chicago. Thank you for your recommendation as well! Have a great day and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

We got this hotel on Priceline for an 85 dollar bid - we didnt know what to expect but we were happily surprised. The hotel was very nice and they upgraded us to a king size room no problem. The location was perfect and we walked mostly everywhere (Mag Mile, Yolk restaurant, Samba sushi) Great times. The doorman were fantastic. The valet was a bit needy on the tips bothering me about a tip I gave the doorman. The frontdesk was nice but not as enthusiastic as the doorman when you come "home". all in all a great gamble and a fun hotel nice, clean, and in a great location. ( I was annoyed at a late night noise from the lobby and when I called the front desk they took care of it. So no harm no foul.)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and for staying with us while in Chicago. We're thrilled you appreciate our wonderful doormen and fantastic location. Regarding the issue you raised with the valet, we're looking into the issue and conducting remedial training as necessary. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Felix with my wife and two small children for a 4 day trip to Chicago. We ended up with the hotel after Pricline accepted a bid for $85.00 dollars a night during the week in March. The hotel is located downtown near, Michigan Ave, and the shopping district. Its only about a 5 block walk to shopping and eating on Michigan Ave. The area around the hotel is loaded with places to eat for families and business professionals. The Hotel has within a 2 block area, Whole Foods, Walgreens, 7 Eleven, Rain Forrest Cafe, Gitos East (Pizza), McDonalds (coolest McDonalds I've ever been in 2-stories with escalators), Chop House, and Hard Rock Cafe, and Hotdog and pasta chains. All of these places are within a 5-8 minute walk. Its just a Great area. The Hotel was very nice, new and clean. The staff was very friendly and getting a cab easy. We never heard another person in the hotel trhough the walls and the rooms and hotel were very clean. The only two drawback were the rooms are small (no fridge) and their is a church mission near by for homeless to eat for free. I would stay in this hotel again and felt very safe in the area. Great Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your stay in Chicago. We're thrilled you, your wife and two children stayed with us for your 4 day trip. We're so happy to hear you enjoyed our prime location in the heart of downtown Chicago, near the city's finest shopping, attractions and restaurants. We're also very happy to hear you enjoyed our outstanding staff and clean, sleek rooms. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Pros- very clean
nicely decorated (contemporary)
friendly staff
comfortable bed

Cons- very small rooms (smallest I've ever had in a hotel. Kept banging knee on bed corner)
no pool or hot tub
about a 6 block walk from Mich Ave (not extremely far, but far enough)
no coffee maker or fridge in room (however, front desk did offer free coffee)
very shallow sinks in bathroom which made it difficult to use
shower only in room (no tub)

Our overall experience of this hotel was very average. We were surprised it was a 4 star rating. We will most likely not stay at Hotel Felix ever again due to the distance from Mich Ave, the extremely small rooms, and the lack of pool/hot tub.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review following your stay with us at Hotel Felix. We're so happy to hear you enjoyed our chic, modern decor, outstanding staff and comfortable bedding. In regards to the size of the room, we pride ourselves on our eco-friendly standards. Regarding the coffee in rooms, we offer complimentary Metropolis organic local coffee and teas each morning in the lobby. Thank you again and have a great day.