2,911 results
All reviews state and lake rooftop bar wit hotel birds chirping nature sounds warm cookies spa room the river the theater district the loop corner room diamond member hotel guests millennium park floor to ceiling windows orange line the bean
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My wife & I stayed in a Junior Spa Suite for our honeymoon and it didn't disappoint. The room was crazy spacious and the views over downtown were top notch.
We didn't use the kitchen area at all but it was well layed out and had all the basic amenities you'd need to dine in.
**Attention inquisitive mini-bar people (like us) - be aware that removing anything from the mini-bar will automatically charge to your room, even if not consumed. We only realised after reading the notice AFTER checking out the bottles of wine on offer. The front desk however were great and they removed the charged items, no questions asked. I know this is now standard in most higher end hotels, which is a great system, but just a warning to anyone who's not come across this before.
Everything was excellent during our stay, except for our rooftop bar experience, hence the 4 star rating.
The rooftop bar is amazing and the views are to die for, but we found it very pretentious, even for a Wednesday evening. The waitress couldn't have been less interested, bordering on rude, until we wanted to put the bill on our room, which she then had to bring a separate bill for.
Having said that, we enjoyed some late afternoon drinks in the Phoenix Lounge and their service was fantastic.
The hotel is within walking distance of most of Chicago's touristy sights which is a big plus and if you're looking for a special stay, then this is one I'd highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DodsYYC
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My family and I stayed around the 4th of July and could not have had a much better experience with The Wit.

First and foremost is the staff. Without exception, the staff was friendly, considerate and eager to help (the concierge even arranged for a treat to be delievered to our room for my wife's birthday). From the valet to the bellman to the front desk to the concierge...everyone was top notch. Even when out in the city and had a question, we could call and they would give us useful information about where to eat or what to do.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and spacious (especially for downtown Chicago standards). While we didn't spend much time in the room, a cramped room would have been a real negative considering my wife and I were travelling with our 17-year old and 12-year old sons. The decor is interesting but still functional (with one exception I'll mention below). A small touch was the nature sounds piped into the hallways (which you could not hear from the rooms) that changed depending on the time of day - very clever.

The location is outstanding as well. At the corner of State and Lake and right at an L station, you can't ask for much more for getting around the city. We always felt safe around the hotel even late at night.

Two areas to improve for the hotel: (1) The bathroom doors in the rooms are completely impractical. They use a sliding door that basically blocks the doorway to the bathroom. It doesn't really provide much privacy and came off the tracks for us a couple of times during our stay. (2) Wireless internet should be free in the rooms. It is free in the lobby, but staggering fees apply if you need wireless in your guest room.

Other than those two things - which did not detract from the enjoyment of our trip - The Wit really has their act together and can be a ideal place to stay whether for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My husband surprised me with a fantastic getaway to Chi-Town. We spent four nights at the WIT! It was a wonderful, chic hotel. The staff could not have been nicer and more accommodating. The room was comfortable-high style, and the hotel was the perfect location to explore downtown. We ate at State and Lake and Cibomatta, both were amazing! A gigantic Thank YOU to the WIT. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My girlfriends and I went in June 2011. Definitely a hip and happening place. Great decor, great rooms, great service. The spa treatment was okay; it was overly priced, the person 1 of my friends and I had was okay; but the other girls said their treatment was nice. The free cookies were so yummy! Perfect location in downtown, walking distance to a lot of the tourist spots. The Roof has a great bar/club atmosphere! We ate at 2 of 3 restaurants: The Roof and Cibo Mato, both great food! Okay for a family if you just want to stay here to come and sleep. Perfect for a girls' weekend!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This hotel was in a perfect location, right next to an EL station. The front staff was so friendly and helpful, allowing us to check in early. When we brought a cheesecake back from Eli's, they sent a refrigerator to our room within minutes. The beds were comfortable, and the decor was funky-modern. The restaurant was a bit pricy, but not out of line with other hotel restaurants; breakfast was quite good. The Roof (rooftop bar) was very popular with the yuppie crowd, though not really conducive to a quiet conversation. Very nice view, though. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: We booked online.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family