2,895 results
All reviews state and lake rooftop bar wit hotel birds chirping nature sounds warm cookies spa room the theater district the river the loop corner room hotel guests millennium park floor to ceiling windows the bean upon check blue line
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Apologies for the lateness of my review... our family of four stayed at theWit over Labour Day weekend. We chose this hotel because of its positive reviews on this site, affordable suites to have a kitchen and so that our three-year-old son could sleep on the pull-out couch in a separate room, and the convenient location to the Loop and family-friendly locations such as Millennium Park and the Chicago River. Also, having an interest in architecture, the hotel’s location near Marina Towers (the ‘corncob’ buildings) was a plus for me.

For the most part, we enjoyed our stay but, to give a backhanded compliment, the location did become the real reason to stay here. We experienced so many little problems during our visit, with both the service and design, that in the end we couldn’t ignore them. We are really not the type of customers to complain (stereotypically polite Canadians) but we did eventually become frustrated.

There were a number of design issues, proving too often that form was chosen over function: the practically non-functional bathroom door, the overly shallow sink, the skinny shampoo bottles kept falling through the slats of the shower caddy, etc. We had a two-room suite with two kitchens, yet each had different equipment so we would have to go back and forth to figure out what was where. The iPod dock was broken or at least was very complicated (being tech-savvy, I might have figured it out if there were any instructions left) and the two televisions were on separate channel schemes, which was confusing.

More importantly, we had a number of service problems, both with housekeeping and the front desk staff. Firstly, upon confirmation of our reservation, they made a big deal out of asking for your “requests upon arrival”, which is great except that of the three items we requested (a crib for our three-month-old baby, a Very Important Kid package for our son, and two extra pillows), the only thing awaiting us was the pillows (the least important). When we checked in, we mentioned the crib so we assumed they would bring one up soon so we went out for dinner. Afterwards, there was still no crib in the room so we called down to the desk and were assured that it would be right up, along with requested linens for the pull-out couch for our son (after we searched the room high and low and realized they too had been forgotten). A knock came soon after – a member of the housekeeping staff gave us some sheets and when we asked about the crib, she said it was coming. But no, instead our daughter slept with my husband and me for the first night.

The next day, we noticed that we had received only decaffeinated coffee in our room (a bit of a shock first thing in the morning!), so when we had to call for some, we also asked for the crib again. The front desk person was very apologetic and a crib came by the end of that day, but still no coffee or kid gifts, whatever that was supposed to be (I’d read tales of presents on the pillows but we received no such special treatment, odd considering we had two children with us, and in a suite). When you have to write out a running tab of all the items missing and have to repeatedly ask for them (which I don’t feel comfortable doing), to no avail no less, that’s a staff communication problem that needs to be addressed.

We had the breakfast package at State and Main and we had no major problems there. The servers were all accommodating of our children and most of the meals were good. Because we still had no regular coffee in our room, my husband went down to get us some small take-out cups from S&M while we got ready in the mornings, and we assumed this was complimentary until the last day when it was charged to the room.
I was quite disappointed about this when he told me, so when we checked out, I politely explained to the front desk representative (when she asked, as per the usual script, if “everything was to our satisfaction”) that we had asked for coffee – twice – and didn’t get any so we got some from the restaurant and that I wanted it to be taken off the bill. Oh no, she assured me, there was no charge on the bill and she was soooo sorry about the mix-up.
When we got home and I checked my online banking, I found a separate charge on my credit card for $8, which for two small coffees is even more expensive than Starbucks. So, the gal at the desk wasn’t lying, the charge wasn’t on *that* bill anyway. Now I’m not the type to bother arguing that insignificant an amount, but it’s not the lasting impression of a long-anticipated vacation that one would hope for.

Beyond these many little annoyances, we still really enjoyed our trip to Chicago. It’s a beautiful, interesting and fun city, the people were incredibly friendly and we stuffed ourselves silly. We will definitely be returning to Chicago but not to theWit.

Room Tip: We had a sliver of a view of the lake, which was nice, and a great shot of The Bean.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Melmopeott
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Thank you for your detailed and thorough critique. All specific, isolated service issues have been followed up upon internally. We continuously assess recommendations to the physical plant as well for upgrades and additions.

-Mark Shouger

Reviewed January 25, 2012

Thanks to Sean, the concierge, I will return to this hotel. The reception staff was initially incredible - but we soon realized that a lack of follow up and/or communication resulted in some disappointment. Thankfully, we struck up some great conversations with Sean - who was not only very knowledgeable of the area, but very friendly and helpful, and went out of his way to make sure we had a positive experience at the Wit. The hotel is modern and central and I will be returning. Thanks again, Sean - you are great at your job!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2012

Happy 2012, indeed.

Kind words for our Experience Architect will absolutely be shared and celebrated.

Our team is thrilled to impress at every turn. We aim for perfection and yet as misses may happen- empathy, recovery and resolve is key.

We look forward to hosting repeat visits and new visitors alike.

- Mark Shouger

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Convenient location, comfortable and spacious rooms and some of the best service I've experienced in a Chicago hotel. The staff was incredibly friendly and attentive and we couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed: December 2011
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2015

Dear Aworldofwander,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,

theWit Guest Relations Team

Reviewed January 18, 2012

The rooms are lovely and we loved the vibe of this hotel -- think zen meets trendy. The nature sounds piped into the hallways are a brilliant concept; very unique & relaxing. Above all, the service was amazing. The front desk was alert to anyone waiting to check in or out, and the chef at the restaurant handily (and enthusiastically) accommodated the two people in our party who had food intolerances or allergies. Having a very busy chef come to your table to ask questions and then check on your meal satisfaction is remarkable! Every hotel staff person who assisted us was genuine and interested in making our experience there wonderful. We've all experienced hotel staffers who are 'just doing their job' and you know they could really care less about you or your comfort. Definitely Not the case at theWit. Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank M M
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2012

We are thrilled with the positive comments and great experiences at theWit. While the kudos to our extraordinary staff are very much appreciated (and shared throughout the hotel), they are not surprising as our team personalizes each guest experience with great attention to detail.

We look forward to hosting repeat visit(s). Happy 2012!

-Mark Shouger

Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend at theWit on our Staycation. The hotel screams trendy and luxury. The attention to detail is amazing. We stayed in one of the spa rooms with a king sized bed. The room was beautiful. Every item in the room felt like it was apart of a well thought out plan. There was nothing but top-notch finishes. The spa tub was enormous, and the bath had a separate show with a removable shower head. I could probably right all night about the hotel, the room, and the service, but I will sum it up in one word. Outstanding.

• Stayed: January 2012