“Wonderful and Impressive Stay”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #37 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We booked theWit by Doubletree, a Hilton hotel last weekend (Jan 28, 2012) for an event at the United Center. We travel quite a bit and primarly use Hilton hotels. We LOVE theWit! It is contemporary and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We typically ask for upgrades but didn't do so this time, however the "average" room was definately upscale and fabulous. The halls had a very soft nature sound and our room greeted us with soft music playing and a light on. The turn down service was a plate of fruit and warm cookies with 2 bottles of water. The bed and pillows are very comfortable. The bathroom did not have a tub (no big deal to us). The sink was unique and definately could not accomodiate washing your hair but no the less neat! Love this hotel and will definately stay again when in Chicago. The only negative we have to say is the resturant (within the hotel) for breakfast was NOT enjoyable. The waiter didn't bring our drinks, didn't refill them, 3 out of 4 of us had burnt food, the order was wrong for one of us and the bill was an outrageous amount. The waiter didn't even bring a pen to sign the bill. He never offered an apology either. The hotel location is within the theater district and a short way from downtown but the cab ride to the United Center was only $12, so downtown would not be too bad.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelfam61873

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I was prepared to give theWit a totally positive review, as I recently enjoyed a nice 2 night stay there for business. I have stayed at many other places in Chicago, and I will add theWit as a hotel to consider when coming to the city. The hotel is modern and clean, and the rooms are a nice size with comfortable beds, modern bathrooms, and a fairly updated look. The restaurant - State and Lake - was great, both at breakfast and lunch. As a Hilton Diamond member, I received breakfast vouchers (for a set $$ amount) that could be used at State and Lake toward any items on the breakfast menu - which was much nicer than the typical continental breakfast offering at other hotels. The hotel location is nice as well - right by the L and within walking distance to the State Street shopping and restaurants.

The only real disappointment, for me, came after I checked out and had been home for a few days. As a Diamond member, I received 2 small bottles of Fiji water in my room (along with oranges and a granola bar - very nice!). There was also a $6 bottle of Fiji water in my room (in addition to mini-bar offerings - which, it is important to note - the mini-bar is sensored, so if you move something, you are charged for it). I never touched the $6 bottle of water, but did drink one of my complimentary bottles of water during my stay. At check-out, my hotel folio showed no charges outside of room and tax... but when I checked my credit card statement, I was charged - TWICE - for the $6 bottle of water. I called the hotel and they have credited my card... but since this was a business trip, it will now create additional expense reporting hassles and delays me in completing my paperwork. Compared to the good things about my stay, this is not a major issue - but I felt it necessary to warn other travelers to beware of extra charges following the stay (a co-worker of mine experienced a similar issue). I don't usually have these types of issues within the Hilton hotel family, so this is a bit of a disappointment after an enjoyable hotel experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Our integrity (overall and in our processes) and accuracy in billing are cornerstones of the way we welcome guests at theWit. Billing errors that occur should be shared immediately and will be resolved to full satisfaction. It is certainly not our intent nor our practice to mis-post any charges for services and product enjoyed while here. We feel bad that any such mis-postings would make an impact on the overall experience.

We do appreciate details provided in reviews so that we may continue to improve and excel!

Reviewed 30 January 2012

You know it's a Doubletree from the cookie at check-in, but very little else resembles the brand. Animal sounds replace music in the elevators and hallways, the rooms are nicely furnished with confortable beds and spacious desks, and the bathrooms are spacious and well-appointed. I had a spa room, which included a large soaking tub and separate shower in the bathroom (no jets in the tub). Diamond and Gold members receive free breakfast in the lobby restaurant (note that 18% gratuity will be added to your check automatically) Overall, staff seems eager to please. The central location means all of the State Street and other area attractions are within comfortable walking distance and everything else is convenient by EL or cab.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I could'nt even get the Bulls game on Friday night on in my room. How is that possible? Don't bother with "Roof" unless you're from somewhere that doenst have a building over 25 stories tall. Tiny, and I mean TINY club with not so impressive views and ridculous prices on alcohol. Just another overhyped downtown Hotel. Doesnt apppear as new as it is, the location really is not all that great given how many other places there are to stay downtown. Someone on tripasvors stated yiou should stay on the state side for the view, I was on the 24th floor and asked for state street side, and that is NOT the side to be on. If you are on that side and have a floor below 22 you'll see nothing but the building across the street. Go top floors and Lake side.

Room Tip: Do not select State street side.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Thomas A
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

theWit has certainly rarely been described as less experiential than other hotels in the area- really in any area. Our team aims to offer More Experience Than Hotel for each guest, and our apologies if we fell short of that goal on any visit.

ROOF, State and Lake Chicago Tavern, Spa @theWit and SCREEN each offer activity & entertainment for hotel guets and locals alike. Broadway in Chicago, Millenium Park and great shopping are all within close walking distance. Most museums are less than a 5 minute drive away, and in good weather also walking distance as is Soldier Field.

During the business week, 90% of LOOP related business is also within walking distance.

Should guests need assistance in finding anything to do while here, our Experience Architects are available to assist.

Thank you for all comments.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Apologies for the lateness of my review... our family of four stayed at theWit over Labour Day weekend. We chose this hotel because of its positive reviews on this site, affordable suites to have a kitchen and so that our three-year-old son could sleep on the pull-out couch in a separate room, and the convenient location to the Loop and family-friendly locations such as Millennium Park and the Chicago River. Also, having an interest in architecture, the hotel’s location near Marina Towers (the ‘corncob’ buildings) was a plus for me.

For the most part, we enjoyed our stay but, to give a backhanded compliment, the location did become the real reason to stay here. We experienced so many little problems during our visit, with both the service and design, that in the end we couldn’t ignore them. We are really not the type of customers to complain (stereotypically polite Canadians) but we did eventually become frustrated.

There were a number of design issues, proving too often that form was chosen over function: the practically non-functional bathroom door, the overly shallow sink, the skinny shampoo bottles kept falling through the slats of the shower caddy, etc. We had a two-room suite with two kitchens, yet each had different equipment so we would have to go back and forth to figure out what was where. The iPod dock was broken or at least was very complicated (being tech-savvy, I might have figured it out if there were any instructions left) and the two televisions were on separate channel schemes, which was confusing.

More importantly, we had a number of service problems, both with housekeeping and the front desk staff. Firstly, upon confirmation of our reservation, they made a big deal out of asking for your “requests upon arrival”, which is great except that of the three items we requested (a crib for our three-month-old baby, a Very Important Kid package for our son, and two extra pillows), the only thing awaiting us was the pillows (the least important). When we checked in, we mentioned the crib so we assumed they would bring one up soon so we went out for dinner. Afterwards, there was still no crib in the room so we called down to the desk and were assured that it would be right up, along with requested linens for the pull-out couch for our son (after we searched the room high and low and realized they too had been forgotten). A knock came soon after – a member of the housekeeping staff gave us some sheets and when we asked about the crib, she said it was coming. But no, instead our daughter slept with my husband and me for the first night.

The next day, we noticed that we had received only decaffeinated coffee in our room (a bit of a shock first thing in the morning!), so when we had to call for some, we also asked for the crib again. The front desk person was very apologetic and a crib came by the end of that day, but still no coffee or kid gifts, whatever that was supposed to be (I’d read tales of presents on the pillows but we received no such special treatment, odd considering we had two children with us, and in a suite). When you have to write out a running tab of all the items missing and have to repeatedly ask for them (which I don’t feel comfortable doing), to no avail no less, that’s a staff communication problem that needs to be addressed.

We had the breakfast package at State and Main and we had no major problems there. The servers were all accommodating of our children and most of the meals were good. Because we still had no regular coffee in our room, my husband went down to get us some small take-out cups from S&M while we got ready in the mornings, and we assumed this was complimentary until the last day when it was charged to the room.
I was quite disappointed about this when he told me, so when we checked out, I politely explained to the front desk representative (when she asked, as per the usual script, if “everything was to our satisfaction”) that we had asked for coffee – twice – and didn’t get any so we got some from the restaurant and that I wanted it to be taken off the bill. Oh no, she assured me, there was no charge on the bill and she was soooo sorry about the mix-up.
When we got home and I checked my online banking, I found a separate charge on my credit card for $8, which for two small coffees is even more expensive than Starbucks. So, the gal at the desk wasn’t lying, the charge wasn’t on *that* bill anyway. Now I’m not the type to bother arguing that insignificant an amount, but it’s not the lasting impression of a long-anticipated vacation that one would hope for.

Beyond these many little annoyances, we still really enjoyed our trip to Chicago. It’s a beautiful, interesting and fun city, the people were incredibly friendly and we stuffed ourselves silly. We will definitely be returning to Chicago but not to theWit.

Room Tip: We had a sliver of a view of the lake, which was nice, and a great shot of The Bean.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Melmopeott
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Thank you for your detailed and thorough critique. All specific, isolated service issues have been followed up upon internally. We continuously assess recommendations to the physical plant as well for upgrades and additions.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Thanks to Sean, the concierge, I will return to this hotel. The reception staff was initially incredible - but we soon realized that a lack of follow up and/or communication resulted in some disappointment. Thankfully, we struck up some great conversations with Sean - who was not only very knowledgeable of the area, but very friendly and helpful, and went out of his way to make sure we had a positive experience at the Wit. The hotel is modern and central and I will be returning. Thanks again, Sean - you are great at your job!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2012

Happy 2012, indeed.

Kind words for our Experience Architect will absolutely be shared and celebrated.

Our team is thrilled to impress at every turn. We aim for perfection and yet as misses may happen- empathy, recovery and resolve is key.

We look forward to hosting repeat visits and new visitors alike.

- Mark Shouger

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Convenient location, comfortable and spacious rooms and some of the best service I've experienced in a Chicago hotel. The staff was incredibly friendly and attentive and we couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed: December 2011
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2015

Dear Aworldofwander,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,