“Great stay”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #39 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend while in the city. Hotel is very good, beds lovely and comfortable, both bars are worth a visit and on top of that it's in a great location. The only gripe I have is that I was woken up by house keeping 3 times, I had use the device found in the door handle (not a note you hang on the door like in most hotels) to say do not disturb but it seems housekeeping don;t look at this so knock on the door instead. Apart from that I would happily recommend theWit and will be staying there myself again next weekend but before I do I will pinch a 'do not disturb' sign from somewhere else! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Thank you for selecting theWit and for your good review of theWit eperience. We are sharing the critique with our team as I type this. Our quest for continuous improvement and excellence is paramount.

We appreciate all feedback.

-Mark Shouger

Write a ReviewReviews (2,685)

Reviewed 6 February 2012

I just moved back to Chicago after a few years away for work, so it is a common occurrence now to hear a native Chicagoan integrate into a conversation a name of a local eatery, hotel or hot spot and have me flinch because of the oh-no-I-don't-know-what-or-where-that-place-is kick.

This happened with theWit. We scheduled a meeting for work there... and I had never heard of it. So I, shamefully, pulled up directions and made my way there for the week-long meeting.

The customer service was amazing from the start and never faltered. There was excellent, quick follow-up with every request... and we asked for several additional printing jobs and office supplies during our stay.

The food was very good. I ate in the hotel several times over the week and their options and flavors were very wide-ranging. Cooking a buffet-style meal for several hungry managers is no easy task, but they didn't overcook the meat, the pretzel rolls are heavenly and even the salad dressings were excellent.

The front desk and valet staff were very friendly ("Good Morning, Miss!") and there is a beautiful view of Wacker and the water from some of the rooms. There is very traditional "Chicago Noise" (car horns, 'L' trains, sirens, etc.) because of the location, but that should be expected. I recommend this hotel to tourists who want excellent service and a location that makes it easy to walk to downtown sites and don't mind or actively want modern decor.

1  Thank Erica319
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

You found us, and we are appreciative. theWit team enjoys thrilling local neighbors, road warriors, domestic travelers and international visitors alike. Likewise, our group of individuals aim to exceed expecations for individual business, group & event and leisure travelers all in unique and specific ways.

Guests who may have been here once should ensure - on any future visits- to find the part of theWit they may not have discovered before. Whether ROOF (which will see enhancements and a striking addition this summer), State and Lake Chicago Tavern, Spa@theWit and SCREEN (the private movie screening & entertainment area) or a variety of suite & room types, this is definitely a more-than-one-visit experience.

We are quite appreciative of specific reviews which highlight many of the unique features available, and we look forward to hosting repeat visits for each of our fans.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

If you've stayed at the W hotel this is very comparable...The hotel is in a great location, has great staff and excellent rooms. The rooms were nicely decorated, very clean with great views! The hotel could use a better fitness facility with weight machines but overall this is a nice hotel.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

TheWit is a stylish hotel right on State Street in Chicago, which is an ideal location to stay as a tourist. You are well positioned for business events in the Loop, museums and other cultural spots, as well as the nightlife and restaurants of River North.

I ate at the ground level restaurant for breakfast and really liked it. We also went to the rooftop, which is really neat and definitely worth a visit. It costs more than typical Chicago rates, but it is a nice spot.

Our room was great and faced West / Northwest. The views therefore were excellent. We had part of that green/yellow stripe thing on the hotel, so part of our view ended up having a colored lens on it, which is certainly the first time I've experienced something like this. The furnishings and bed of the room were also great.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel for visitors to Chicago

Room Tip: West facing rooms that are high up have great city views
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank letsgofire
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed at theWit in January and it was the absolute perfect location for everything I planned into my visit. I went ice skating at Millennium Park, which was just a short walk away; I saw a musical at the gorgeous Oriental Theatre and had a delightful dinner and drinks in the hotel using their restaurant and bar. It was very safe walking around Michigan Avenue. The room I had overlooked the river up Michigan Avenue - beautiful at night. The staff were most friendly and helpful. The ROOF was very sexy - I can only imagine going outside in the summer. State and Lake was great for some small plates and conversation. I also worked out and the facility was clean and bright. I would definitely stay at the Wit again:)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

We are thrilled that guests are so thrilled with theWit Experience. Really, winter-spring-summer-fall all offer opportunities to enjoy Chicago, theWit, ROOF, State and Lake Chicago Tavern, Spa@theWit and SCREEN.

We are extremely appreciative of all business and guest visits.

Stay tuned for an all new ROOF experience starting in May.

Than You,

Mark Shouger

Reviewed 1 February 2012

We booked a room at this hotel as we were planning on seeing a concert at the Chicago Theater. We prepaid for the room via their website. The concert was postponed and we contacted the hotel to inquire into changing our reservation to the new date only to find that the hotel REFUSED to allow us to change the date and informed us that the $196.00 we had spent on the room would be lost. The customer service employees with Hilton were rude and were not accommodating at all. We will definitely stay at a different hotel for the rescheduled date of the show and would not recommend booking at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank obamatravel
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

In the future, please contact hotel directly (see hotel web site) for any such needs rather than booking centers.

Thank you.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

I usually stay at Hilton brand hotels in the loop/downtown area when I am in Chicago and LOVE this property. This is my favorite hilton property in the Chicago area and one of my favorite Hilton properties in the US.

I was there this past weekend (1/27 to 29) and the stay was perfect as always. Hilton just started offering Suite upgrades at Hilton and DT properties this month, and this was my first stay at a property since the policy was instituted. They honored this policy and gave me Suite 2112, a beautiful spa corner suite. Plenty of room and a nice kitchen and sitting and dining area.

While I wish the property had a lounge, the breakfast is great. You get a $17 voucher for state/lake which covers anything on the menu I think except steak. Lots of items on the menu including red velvet pancakes and banana french toast (they used to have croque monsieur on the menu that I loved but didn't see it on there this time). We ate dinner there Saturday at State and Lake and the prices are reasonable for a hotel and the food was good.

The security is very good in the building. You must use your room key card to access the elevator and it will only work for the floor you are staying on.

No pool, and the fitness center is small. But the fitness center is open 24/7 and I have never had to wait on an elipitical machine and you have a good view outside from machines and there are also headphones available for use.

Bathroom was big and loved the soaking spa (althought I wish it had jets) and I love the bath products they use, I wish all Hiltons would use the bar bath soap they use. Only complaint I had there was there were two pairs of slippers and just one bathrobe in my robe. The slippers that I am assuming were for men since they were the biggest of the two were way too small for my feet (I could only get a few toes in them) and housekeeping never replaced the bathrobe that I used Friday night. When they cleaned the room Saturday they removed the robe and I asked the housekeeper on the floor for another robe and she didn't have one. Someone else from housekeeping knocked on my door about 10 minutes later and said they would be delivering another one shortly and they never did.

I also wish they had some kind of store in the lobby to buy things like soft drinks since there isn't a lounge, but there are plenty of stores nearby.

I flew and the orange and red lines are right outside the door and the blue line is only two blocks away. My friend drove and valet parking is $50 a night, so I would recomend people driving look for a cheaper garage or surface lot nearby.

Room Tip: If you are a hilton diamond try to get an upgrade to a spa room or suite. If you aren't a diamo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends