2,926 results
All reviews state and lake rooftop bar wit hotel warm cookies spa room the river the theater district the loop diamond member corner room hotel guests floor to ceiling windows millennium park the bean upon check blue line hotel restaurant
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Pros: Front desk and door staff are very attentive, friendly and welcoming here. In addition the housekeeper had a friendly greeting whenever I passed her in the hallway. Front desk offered to store luggage without prompting when I arrived early and the room was not ready and the bellman was friendly without being pushy. Service credit offered immediately for housekeeping issue. Close to all CTA transit (Red Subway 1/2 block south, Brown/Green/Oragne 'L' stairway outside front door.)

Cons: No free Wi-Fi. Only free printing in business center for boarding pass and nothing else. Restaurant staff was mediocre. Some items in room were not cleaned. Mediocre service in the on-site restaurant. Only fair housekeeping.

I visited this location from Thursday, February 9 - Monday, February 13, 2012.

Wi-Fi: You must pay to use WiFi here. In all avenues. Public areas, your room, in the business center. In the public areas and your room it will be $9.95 + tax (around $11.15) per day for the basic speed suitable for checking email and Facebook-ing. There are 2 other speed levels that go up in speed and price but I did not use them.

The Room: Kinda half-assed cleaning. Shower curtain smelled like mildew. Electric outlet in bathroom had dust around it. Bath only had one toilet paper roll (so good luck if you run out before the maid comes through). Room window had faceprint/face grease on it for the entire 4 day stay. Top sheet on bed did not fit correctly and came off once. Mysterious brown stain (water like) on side of bed. Display phone has dim button but even at that level it will be way too bright for people who like to sleep in a dark room. By the same accord the crack under the door is wide enough to light up most of the room at night. I did not touch the mini bar. $7 bottles of Fiji water that were $4 at the nearby State-Randolph Walgreens.

Housekeeping: Fair. Bed was made each day except Sunday for some reason. Signage in the room indicated beds would be changed by the 3rd day of stay - mine were not as the brown stain on the side stayed for my entire 4 day visit. Smears on glass for entire 4 day stay. Moldy shower curtain smell eventually dissipated on its own. Pre-requested 2 additional towels that never showed up. One day there were 2. Next day 3. Then back to 2.

Public Areas: Overall very nice. Elevators seemed a bit slow and having to insert a room card into a finicky card reader (located at knee-level, really?) to go up was an annoyance. The birds chirping, seascape bell clanging playing over the PA system in the hallway was cute at first but by day 2 rapidly lost its charm.) Did not have a chance to use the fitness center or spa.

Business Center: Positives included free boarding pass printing for airlines. Negatives include: 10 minute complimentary internet, after that it jumps to something like $1 per minute of use. Printing is $1/page B&W or $2/page color outside the free boarding pass. All use requires the scan of a credit card (even free use, so be sure to log off before the free time is up). Why this could not be integrated better into charging at least to your Folio I do not know.

Restaurant: Mediocre at best. Restaurant claimed operation until MIDNIGHT. Came in at 9 pm and the hostesses were so engrossed in talking that they ignored me as I walked right by (no sign asking to Wait to be Seated). They then came to life and lead me to a table. Followed by them repeating the gossip corner. Kind of unprofessional for a hotel of this price point.

Server was not especially speedy or slow and only seemed to want to get an order - nothing more. Ordered French Onion Soup as a started. The bowl arrived scorching hot, ironically the contents were only luke warm. They managed to cheat Physics here somehow.

Ordered burger and fries. Burger was OK, nothing special for the price. Fries tasted like they came from Sysco or some other warehouse and didn't taste particularly fresh. Beer was okay and appropriately cold.

Extended Checkout: No additional charge. Spoke to the front desk and they were able to give me a 2:30p check out for which I was most grateful.

Final Checkout: No TV checkout, had to go to desk. Front desk staff Monday at 2 pm was friendly and efficient. Mentioned stain on bed and they immediately credited my bill for the meal in the restaurant with no further protests (~ $30).

Strongly Recommend: Asking for a room in the mid-floors of the building. Loud nightclub on 27 that reverberates through 26 and maybe lower. I was on 15 and didn't hear any of it. In addition the "L" runs to the south of the building along Lake St. If noise bothers you avoid this side. I found it comforting but I grew up in Chicago. Also, during club nights (Fri & Sat) you will not be able to use a keycard to access 27. You must go down to the lobby to use the one special priority elevator on these nights. A PITA for registered guests but I can only guess some people were line jumping to get to 27 where the club is.

Room Tip: South side rooms (along Lake St) will hear 'L' at night. Try to book mid-level (I was on 15). Booking higher than 24 or so you will hear the loud club at the top on Fri and Sat nights.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank stevestr
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Thanks for all the great feedback regarding staff satisfaction and personal critiques of so many parts of the guest experience.

Perfection is our team's goal, and all feedback is reviewed and shared for both accountability and continuous improvement.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We booked this trip for our anniversary and stayed a week. We could not pay for a suite for the entire stayed but booked it for our last two nights. When we arrived the front desk staff was wonderful. The greeted us warmly and were extremely polite. The noticed we booked the suite for the last two nights and gave it to us for the entire stay. The room was absolutely amazing. We had a great view of the Chicago River in our two bedroom suite. The decor was all modern but very comfortable and we even had a kitchen. The bed was so comfortable I did not want to get out of it in the morning. My wife was a huge fan of the giant bathroom and huge soaking tub. I could go on and on about how wonderful the room was but it is only half the story. We were there a week and seemed to have met every person on the staff there. They are all wonderful, polite and helpful. I was always treated like someone special. The bell staff was top notch too. They always held the door open for us no matter how busy they were. The only annoyance was the drunks on the weekend using the elevator to go up to the hip bar on the roof. But the staff always made sure we had an elevator. I would highly recommend this hotel and we liked it so much we are going back again this summer and staying at the Wit.

Room Tip: avoid the top floor as you can hear the bass from the hip club late into the night.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gfourman
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed Friday night the 10th at the Wit. We arrived at about 730pm and valet was quick and wonderful. The check in process went so easy and friendly. The Concierge on duty was so nice and sweet to our daughter. Bell Person who brought up the luggage was great and the knowledge about our room and features was great.
I have to say the room lacks a bit. We had a 2 queen bedded room. There were two wash clothes, 2 hand towels and 3 bath towels. I could have called for more but I should not have to. With 2 queens they should know in Housekeeping that type of room usually has more than 2 people in it. Next was the dust we could write our names on the desk. I do understand with the heat on and this time of year dust does happen and the furniture is condusive to dust. The lamp between the two beds has two bulbs of which one was broke. I wanted to order dinner from in room dining there was no menu in the room I checked the on screen on the phone all I could get it to do was call room service. Yes I can call and ask for this but I do not want to I want it there. The beds were ok not the most comfortable in the city mattress wise but the comforter was great. The heating system was loud in our room and that made it hard to sleep. When taking a shower the hand held kept moving and spraying out to the floor. The only other thing I did not like about the room is the bathroom door is not easy to open and close. Would I stay again? I have to say I enjoy the city North of the river. I felt like unless you were there for business or to party at the Rooftop (which is incredible) this is not for us. If you have theater tickets and want a close hotel great location.
This was a hard review to write I really wanted to love the hotel and I have seen other rooms that were much nicer than ours and yes the suites are nice. The staff is all sooooo nice and easy to work with so I really just would suggest pick up on the little things and it could really be above average.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nguyens
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

We enjoy the critiques. Our team, in all areas, aim to impress.

Please be assured that each and every detail in reviews are shared with appropriate teams, and actions are taken to ensure continuous improvement as we work towards "perfection."

Our brand and review-site rankings for staff service, cleanliness and accommodations are typically in the top percentages. We will ALL respond.

Thank you.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

I loved the Wit, exceeded expectations on all levels. When I arrived, checkin was speedy yet personable. All the staff was excellent -- I wish I would've taken note of their names. I was recognized as being a Hilton Gold member and given a couple of breakfast vouchers which could even be used for room service. This is uncommon, based on my experience.

I stayed in the Paramount Suite which was almost like having my very own condo downtown. The room was spotless and full of nice touches. With floor to ceiling windows in 3 directions, it made for a quite an experience. Room service in the morning was great, and thankfully I had $40 to apply to the bill.

I went up to the Roof on a Saturday night and was provided free cover charge. This place is pretty amazing even during the winter -- I can only imagine the crowd during the summer. Despite the noisy atmosphere my room was completely silent, even with the L below and the Roof bar up top.

I definitely will stay here again. In certain respects, The Wit has a few legs up on it's "Conrad" sister up north on Michigan Ave. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Room Tip: Though the Wit is not likely to give these away, the Paramount Suites from floors 20-25 are not to be missed. They all end in -01 and feature view of state street and the Lake.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ben1233
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Wow! Thanks for another excellent review of theWit and theWit Experience. Be assured that we will share this with the team. Likewsie, we will eagerly await repeat visits and another opportunity to exceed expectations.

No secret. The Paramount Suites (as well as our variety of room and suite types) offer something special in terms of available space, comfort, design and views.

Thanks, so much!

Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend while in the city. Hotel is very good, beds lovely and comfortable, both bars are worth a visit and on top of that it's in a great location. The only gripe I have is that I was woken up by house keeping 3 times, I had use the device found in the door handle (not a note you hang on the door like in most hotels) to say do not disturb but it seems housekeeping don;t look at this so knock on the door instead. Apart from that I would happily recommend theWit and will be staying there myself again next weekend but before I do I will pinch a 'do not disturb' sign from somewhere else! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

Thank you for selecting theWit and for your good review of theWit eperience. We are sharing the critique with our team as I type this. Our quest for continuous improvement and excellence is paramount.

We appreciate all feedback.