US$206
  • Restaurant
Palmer House A Hilton Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$225
US$203
Sofitel
  • Restaurant
Best Western River North Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$189
US$277
Cancelon
  • Room Service
2,799 results
All reviewsstate and lakerooftop barwit hotelbirds chirpingnature soundschicago theaterwarm cookiesspa roommillennium parkthe riverthe loopdiamond membercorner roomhotel guestsfloor to ceiling windowsthe beanupon check
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in August. I was alone and I had never been to Chicago before. I was there simply for tourist reasons. The hotel was perfect.

The rooms were amazing. Any amenity I needed. I took a bubble bath in a beautiful tub overlooking Chicago and the lake.

The location was perfect for everything I wanted to do. I was in walking/biking distance of Navy Pier, miles of walking and bike trails on the lake, the, Symphony park (where I enjoyed champaign and pate while listening to the symphony), boat tours and more. I don' think I got in a cab or on the L once. Though, I did have a bike at my disposal.

The club on their roof is awesome if you are young and hip. I am not, but I did enjoy seeing it. Apparently, on Friday and Saturday nights, it is impossible to get in unless you are beautiful or a guest of the hotel.

The Spa was a great way to end my trip after I had checked out of the hotel at Noon.

I asked the concierge for recommendations for theatre show, etc. and he gave me tickets to Chicago Live for that day.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the Wit three nights. The front staff was very friendly and helpful. We were on the 10th floor with a good view of the city looking south and west. We were a little concerned about the noise of the El right below us, but it ended up not being a problem. the bed was very comfortable. We loved the bathroom with it being quite large and with a good shower and tub. It was within easy walking distance of all the eating places we wanted to go to and also all of our bus stops and train stations. Our only negative was the service and quality of food at the restaurant the first morning. We thought we had left enough time for breakfast to catch our train to the Auto Show, but with the slow service, we were walking into the train station and buying our tickets just as they were loading the train. The quality of our eggs and bacon that first morning was not very good. However, we ate there three mornings, and the quality of the breakfast and the service kept getting better. Parking is very expensive at $50/night, valet parking only.

Room Tip: The El runs on the south side. If you think the noise from it will bother you, request a higher up room or a room on a different side.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The Wit is a great hotel which has many modern styles and touches without being cold or industrial. The staff is very helpful and professional. Rooms are roomy but can be a little noisy if you are facing the L (east side of the hotel). This didn’t bother us too much but others may be more sensitive to the noise. The top floor bar is great and in the summer a great area to sit outside. Location is perfect next to the L and an easy walk to the Mag Mile.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Very smooth flirtly type hotel.. Lots of people watchinmg etc. great for singles. bad for kids. good rooftop and lively restaurant. Barmen up their own trousers a bit but apart from that very cool hotel bang in middle of downtown chicago

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Pros: Front desk and door staff are very attentive, friendly and welcoming here. In addition the housekeeper had a friendly greeting whenever I passed her in the hallway. Front desk offered to store luggage without prompting when I arrived early and the room was not ready and the bellman was friendly without being pushy. Service credit offered immediately for housekeeping issue. Close to all CTA transit (Red Subway 1/2 block south, Brown/Green/Oragne 'L' stairway outside front door.)

Cons: No free Wi-Fi. Only free printing in business center for boarding pass and nothing else. Restaurant staff was mediocre. Some items in room were not cleaned. Mediocre service in the on-site restaurant. Only fair housekeeping.

I visited this location from Thursday, February 9 - Monday, February 13, 2012.

Wi-Fi: You must pay to use WiFi here. In all avenues. Public areas, your room, in the business center. In the public areas and your room it will be $9.95 + tax (around $11.15) per day for the basic speed suitable for checking email and Facebook-ing. There are 2 other speed levels that go up in speed and price but I did not use them.

The Room: Kinda half-assed cleaning. Shower curtain smelled like mildew. Electric outlet in bathroom had dust around it. Bath only had one toilet paper roll (so good luck if you run out before the maid comes through). Room window had faceprint/face grease on it for the entire 4 day stay. Top sheet on bed did not fit correctly and came off once. Mysterious brown stain (water like) on side of bed. Display phone has dim button but even at that level it will be way too bright for people who like to sleep in a dark room. By the same accord the crack under the door is wide enough to light up most of the room at night. I did not touch the mini bar. $7 bottles of Fiji water that were $4 at the nearby State-Randolph Walgreens.

Housekeeping: Fair. Bed was made each day except Sunday for some reason. Signage in the room indicated beds would be changed by the 3rd day of stay - mine were not as the brown stain on the side stayed for my entire 4 day visit. Smears on glass for entire 4 day stay. Moldy shower curtain smell eventually dissipated on its own. Pre-requested 2 additional towels that never showed up. One day there were 2. Next day 3. Then back to 2.

Public Areas: Overall very nice. Elevators seemed a bit slow and having to insert a room card into a finicky card reader (located at knee-level, really?) to go up was an annoyance. The birds chirping, seascape bell clanging playing over the PA system in the hallway was cute at first but by day 2 rapidly lost its charm.) Did not have a chance to use the fitness center or spa.

Business Center: Positives included free boarding pass printing for airlines. Negatives include: 10 minute complimentary internet, after that it jumps to something like $1 per minute of use. Printing is $1/page B&W or $2/page color outside the free boarding pass. All use requires the scan of a credit card (even free use, so be sure to log off before the free time is up). Why this could not be integrated better into charging at least to your Folio I do not know.

Restaurant: Mediocre at best. Restaurant claimed operation until MIDNIGHT. Came in at 9 pm and the hostesses were so engrossed in talking that they ignored me as I walked right by (no sign asking to Wait to be Seated). They then came to life and lead me to a table. Followed by them repeating the gossip corner. Kind of unprofessional for a hotel of this price point.

Server was not especially speedy or slow and only seemed to want to get an order - nothing more. Ordered French Onion Soup as a started. The bowl arrived scorching hot, ironically the contents were only luke warm. They managed to cheat Physics here somehow.

Ordered burger and fries. Burger was OK, nothing special for the price. Fries tasted like they came from Sysco or some other warehouse and didn't taste particularly fresh. Beer was okay and appropriately cold.

Extended Checkout: No additional charge. Spoke to the front desk and they were able to give me a 2:30p check out for which I was most grateful.

Final Checkout: No TV checkout, had to go to desk. Front desk staff Monday at 2 pm was friendly and efficient. Mentioned stain on bed and they immediately credited my bill for the meal in the restaurant with no further protests (~ $30).

Strongly Recommend: Asking for a room in the mid-floors of the building. Loud nightclub on 27 that reverberates through 26 and maybe lower. I was on 15 and didn't hear any of it. In addition the "L" runs to the south of the building along Lake St. If noise bothers you avoid this side. I found it comforting but I grew up in Chicago. Also, during club nights (Fri & Sat) you will not be able to use a keycard to access 27. You must go down to the lobby to use the one special priority elevator on these nights. A PITA for registered guests but I can only guess some people were line jumping to get to 27 where the club is.

Room Tip: South side rooms (along Lake St) will hear 'L' at night. Try to book mid-level (I was on 15). Booking higher than 24 or so you will hear the loud club at the top on Fri and Sat nights.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank stevestr
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Thanks for all the great feedback regarding staff satisfaction and personal critiques of so many parts of the guest experience.

Perfection is our team's goal, and all feedback is reviewed and shared for both accountability and continuous improvement.

-Mark Shouger