“Perfect location, great hotel and staff”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #35 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed at the Wit for a girls weekend. The location is ideal-in the loop but easy walking distance to Michigan Ave. shopping, Millenium Park, etc. Front desk staff was very attentive and friendly. Always greeted us on our return. And the cookies we got on arrival were great.
We stayed on the 12th floor, and like others, I was worried about proximity to the L. But at that level, it was barely noticeable. Great views of the skyline, and even a little peek at Lake Michigan from our window.
Super comfy beds, large and spacious rooms, great wi-fi access. Our room happened to have an accessible bathroom, so had a very wide, sliding type door into the bathroom and an accessible, walk in shower. I didn't request that kind of room but it was fine. Just think the door would be difficult to manage for anyone that did have physical challenges. Wonderful assortment of toiletries in the bath and great soaps. Limited counter space in the bath though-4 women had alot of toiletries and not much room for everything.
Should mention that the exercise facility was awesome-great views of the city and great equipment in a really nice work out setting. Did not have time to try the spa but it looked neat.
Probably not a hotel for kids-but for us it was fabulous!

Room Tip: If you're bothered by the noise of the L, might want to choose something on a higher floor. We...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 729ellie

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in August. I was alone and I had never been to Chicago before. I was there simply for tourist reasons. The hotel was perfect.

The rooms were amazing. Any amenity I needed. I took a bubble bath in a beautiful tub overlooking Chicago and the lake.

The location was perfect for everything I wanted to do. I was in walking/biking distance of Navy Pier, miles of walking and bike trails on the lake, the, Symphony park (where I enjoyed champaign and pate while listening to the symphony), boat tours and more. I don' think I got in a cab or on the L once. Though, I did have a bike at my disposal.

The club on their roof is awesome if you are young and hip. I am not, but I did enjoy seeing it. Apparently, on Friday and Saturday nights, it is impossible to get in unless you are beautiful or a guest of the hotel.

The Spa was a great way to end my trip after I had checked out of the hotel at Noon.

I asked the concierge for recommendations for theatre show, etc. and he gave me tickets to Chicago Live for that day.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at the Wit three nights. The front staff was very friendly and helpful. We were on the 10th floor with a good view of the city looking south and west. We were a little concerned about the noise of the El right below us, but it ended up not being a problem. the bed was very comfortable. We loved the bathroom with it being quite large and with a good shower and tub. It was within easy walking distance of all the eating places we wanted to go to and also all of our bus stops and train stations. Our only negative was the service and quality of food at the restaurant the first morning. We thought we had left enough time for breakfast to catch our train to the Auto Show, but with the slow service, we were walking into the train station and buying our tickets just as they were loading the train. The quality of our eggs and bacon that first morning was not very good. However, we ate there three mornings, and the quality of the breakfast and the service kept getting better. Parking is very expensive at $50/night, valet parking only.

Room Tip: The El runs on the south side. If you think the noise from it will bother you, request a higher up...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The Wit is a great hotel which has many modern styles and touches without being cold or industrial. The staff is very helpful and professional. Rooms are roomy but can be a little noisy if you are facing the L (east side of the hotel). This didn’t bother us too much but others may be more sensitive to the noise. The top floor bar is great and in the summer a great area to sit outside. Location is perfect next to the L and an easy walk to the Mag Mile.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Very smooth flirtly type hotel.. Lots of people watchinmg etc. great for singles. bad for kids. good rooftop and lively restaurant. Barmen up their own trousers a bit but apart from that very cool hotel bang in middle of downtown chicago

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Pros: Front desk and door staff are very attentive, friendly and welcoming here. In addition the housekeeper had a friendly greeting whenever I passed her in the hallway. Front desk offered to store luggage without prompting when I arrived early and the room was not ready and the bellman was friendly without being pushy. Service credit offered immediately for housekeeping issue. Close to all CTA transit (Red Subway 1/2 block south, Brown/Green/Oragne 'L' stairway outside front door.)

Cons: No free Wi-Fi. Only free printing in business center for boarding pass and nothing else. Restaurant staff was mediocre. Some items in room were not cleaned. Mediocre service in the on-site restaurant. Only fair housekeeping.

I visited this location from Thursday, February 9 - Monday, February 13, 2012.

Wi-Fi: You must pay to use WiFi here. In all avenues. Public areas, your room, in the business center. In the public areas and your room it will be $9.95 + tax (around $11.15) per day for the basic speed suitable for checking email and Facebook-ing. There are 2 other speed levels that go up in speed and price but I did not use them.

The Room: Kinda half-assed cleaning. Shower curtain smelled like mildew. Electric outlet in bathroom had dust around it. Bath only had one toilet paper roll (so good luck if you run out before the maid comes through). Room window had faceprint/face grease on it for the entire 4 day stay. Top sheet on bed did not fit correctly and came off once. Mysterious brown stain (water like) on side of bed. Display phone has dim button but even at that level it will be way too bright for people who like to sleep in a dark room. By the same accord the crack under the door is wide enough to light up most of the room at night. I did not touch the mini bar. $7 bottles of Fiji water that were $4 at the nearby State-Randolph Walgreens.

Housekeeping: Fair. Bed was made each day except Sunday for some reason. Signage in the room indicated beds would be changed by the 3rd day of stay - mine were not as the brown stain on the side stayed for my entire 4 day visit. Smears on glass for entire 4 day stay. Moldy shower curtain smell eventually dissipated on its own. Pre-requested 2 additional towels that never showed up. One day there were 2. Next day 3. Then back to 2.

Public Areas: Overall very nice. Elevators seemed a bit slow and having to insert a room card into a finicky card reader (located at knee-level, really?) to go up was an annoyance. The birds chirping, seascape bell clanging playing over the PA system in the hallway was cute at first but by day 2 rapidly lost its charm.) Did not have a chance to use the fitness center or spa.

Business Center: Positives included free boarding pass printing for airlines. Negatives include: 10 minute complimentary internet, after that it jumps to something like $1 per minute of use. Printing is $1/page B&W or $2/page color outside the free boarding pass. All use requires the scan of a credit card (even free use, so be sure to log off before the free time is up). Why this could not be integrated better into charging at least to your Folio I do not know.

Restaurant: Mediocre at best. Restaurant claimed operation until MIDNIGHT. Came in at 9 pm and the hostesses were so engrossed in talking that they ignored me as I walked right by (no sign asking to Wait to be Seated). They then came to life and lead me to a table. Followed by them repeating the gossip corner. Kind of unprofessional for a hotel of this price point.

Server was not especially speedy or slow and only seemed to want to get an order - nothing more. Ordered French Onion Soup as a started. The bowl arrived scorching hot, ironically the contents were only luke warm. They managed to cheat Physics here somehow.

Ordered burger and fries. Burger was OK, nothing special for the price. Fries tasted like they came from Sysco or some other warehouse and didn't taste particularly fresh. Beer was okay and appropriately cold.

Extended Checkout: No additional charge. Spoke to the front desk and they were able to give me a 2:30p check out for which I was most grateful.

Final Checkout: No TV checkout, had to go to desk. Front desk staff Monday at 2 pm was friendly and efficient. Mentioned stain on bed and they immediately credited my bill for the meal in the restaurant with no further protests (~ $30).

Strongly Recommend: Asking for a room in the mid-floors of the building. Loud nightclub on 27 that reverberates through 26 and maybe lower. I was on 15 and didn't hear any of it. In addition the "L" runs to the south of the building along Lake St. If noise bothers you avoid this side. I found it comforting but I grew up in Chicago. Also, during club nights (Fri & Sat) you will not be able to use a keycard to access 27. You must go down to the lobby to use the one special priority elevator on these nights. A PITA for registered guests but I can only guess some people were line jumping to get to 27 where the club is.

Room Tip: South side rooms (along Lake St) will hear 'L' at night. Try to book mid-level (I was on 15...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank stevestr
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thanks for all the great feedback regarding staff satisfaction and personal critiques of so many parts of the guest experience.

Perfection is our team's goal, and all feedback is reviewed and shared for both accountability and continuous improvement.

-Mark Shouger

Reviewed 14 February 2012

We booked this trip for our anniversary and stayed a week. We could not pay for a suite for the entire stayed but booked it for our last two nights. When we arrived the front desk staff was wonderful. The greeted us warmly and were extremely polite. The noticed we booked the suite for the last two nights and gave it to us for the entire stay. The room was absolutely amazing. We had a great view of the Chicago River in our two bedroom suite. The decor was all modern but very comfortable and we even had a kitchen. The bed was so comfortable I did not want to get out of it in the morning. My wife was a huge fan of the giant bathroom and huge soaking tub. I could go on and on about how wonderful the room was but it is only half the story. We were there a week and seemed to have met every person on the staff there. They are all wonderful, polite and helpful. I was always treated like someone special. The bell staff was top notch too. They always held the door open for us no matter how busy they were. The only annoyance was the drunks on the weekend using the elevator to go up to the hip bar on the roof. But the staff always made sure we had an elevator. I would highly recommend this hotel and we liked it so much we are going back again this summer and staying at the Wit.

Room Tip: avoid the top floor as you can hear the bass from the hip club late into the night.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple