Don't get me wrong, this is a very good hotel. The big things - room, amenities, ambience - are great. But the service just trips up too many times. A few examples:
1. We asked about ice upon check-in. We were told it was in the room. We looked everywhere; no ice. So we called room service. It didn't arrive for more than half an hour, so we called again. We were told it had been delivered to the wrong room. A little while later a staff member used his key to **enter our suite** while we were in the bedroom and said he'd come to pick up dirty dishes. We sent him away and called again; we were told ice would be sent. It finally arrived a while later, and we were told there was no ice in our room type (a deluxe suite!). A manager called several hours later, while we were out, to apologize for the mixup.
2. The television in the bathroom didn't work (not an important amenity, I know). It took three trips from technicians and removing the mirror to make it work. When an operation this long and intense is required, how about switching us to another room or compensating us another way?
3. The suite's two shower heads continually drooped in their holders, so it was impossible to fix them in place. We asked for a repair; it didn't work. Our room was equipped for handicapped people - imagine if a disabled person had to hold the shower head all the time while washing!
4. There was no lotion in the bathroom. (Upon asking, we received three bottles.)
5. At check-in, we were told that the Sunday New York Times would cost $6. No matter, we were happy with the Chicago Tribune. But on Sunday, the Times arrived anyway. We called down to the desk - another mistake, no charge.
We stayed here before last year, when the hotel was called the Elysian. Then, the management was so mortified that housekeeping had missed a single turn-down service that they gave us a free bottle of wine. Also, the bathroom toiletries were Asprey, not Ferragamo (not as nice now). Staff assured us that the same team was still running the hotel. Did they always make this many little mistakes?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The AAA Five-Diamond Waldorf Astoria Chicago(formerly The Elysian Hotel)is located in the heart of the prestigious Gold Coast neighborhood amognst the Magnificent Mile and Oak Street famed restaurants, retailers and lakefront. The award-winning 215 room hotel through innovative services and technologies, creates a new experience in luxury – energetic and fashion forward, warm and welcoming, and fresh and engaging. Amenities include a 14,000 square-foot spa & health club; 7,500 square feet of private event space; Bernard's Bar & Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Chicago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.