“Easily deserves the #1 rating!!”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #9 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Just got back from a sisters' weekend in Chicago and we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria. The staff are so friendly and accomodating. It's very convenient that we didn't have to tip for everything they assisted us with (they refuse tips). We stayed in a King Suite, which had a pullout couch, which wasn't very comfortable but the rest of the suite made up for it. The room was clean and very well maintained.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank uniftbl

Reviewed 28 April 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Waldorf, which we chose on based on the reviews here. This was easily the best hotel we've ever stayed at. We had booked a Waldorf King Suite, but upon check in were upgraded to a Gold Coast Suite. I'm not sure why, maybe because we're HIlton Honours members, but whatever the reason we weren't complaining. The room was phenomenal. It was 1200 sq. ft. and really was more like an apartment than a hotel room. We had a lovely bedroom, big bathroom with tv in mirror, and a living area complete with desk, table, lounge chairs, sofa, fireplace, and bar. Oh yah, and a powder room. There was a balcony, but we didn't use it as it wasn't very warm. The hotel location was great, just a block or two from the magnificent mile.
Our package included a $70 credit towards breakfast, and another $50 credit per night towards food or spa services. The $70 didn't quite cover breakfast for two (with eggs, juice, coffee etc.), but pretty close. With all of those credits it made the hotel terrific value compared to other hotels in the area.
The service was the best we have ever received. Anything we needed was brought to us within minutes. We used the car service once. It wasn't always available when we needed, but that was fine, as we were always quick to get a cab.
We never made it to the gym or spa, as we were busy during the day, but I'm sure they were both fabulous.
My only complaint is that we couldn't have stayed longer. We so enjoyed Chicago and this hotel, that we are eager to bring our kids back for a visit. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. There was nothing not to love.

Room Tip: Try and get a breakfast package if you'd like to eat at the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Valerie T
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here last month, and my god, it could not have been a more enjoyable 24hrs. I will definately return. First off, we book a top end room, but they upgraded us to a suite-SCORE. It was magnificent. Huge reception, bathroom, balcony to go out and have a sneaky cigarette...The bar is a MUST destination, even if you don't stay. The bartender(he did not want to be known as a mixologist, I would say mixmaster-diety)was fabulous. He made drinks by asking you what you liked, and created delicious boozy masterpieces-the work that went into them! We stayed for 3 rounds.

We had plans to go out some hot restaurant, but we looked at each other and said hmmm bottle of champagne, room service and enjoy the room....STAY at this hotel, it is utterly perfect.

Room Tip: get an upgrade hahaha
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank karenk58
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A married couple getaway... I've been waiting eagerly for my stay here and just got back and it was a wonderful place. This is one of the few hotels that actually looks as good as the pictures on its website on an everyday basis. Everything is clean, crisp and well maintained in the room and public areas.
I can't think of anything to say to improve here, it was everything I thought it would be and more. One of the best things about this hotel is not having to walk around with a pocketful of dollars and having to reach in and pass out dollars everytime a staff members talks to you or helps you.
The spa was incredible. While we didn't get any services, we just enjoyed the steam, sauna and whirlpool for a few hours before we left - so relaxing!
Great place and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marinedjp
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed here on in Dec when it was Elysian my older sis came along and loved it . I stayed here again in April (now waldorf astoria ) and mother my mother was able to come along this time . We both loved it !!! Both times were perfection every aspect...... I gotta say this hotel is perfect. So many perks: the location, staff, spa, amenties, service, the no tipping policy and rooms are super luxurious. This is probably one of the nicest hotels in the country and definitely deserves to be #1 for Chicago.
Everything is top notch the finest sheets, towels, curtains everything is right down to the lighting. We had a very spacious suite . We tried the Balsan restaurant bistor for dinner and was impressed ... treat yourself and stay at this property !! Definitely will be back

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank RWADLOW
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed there during the week on business. The staff and service was perfect. I did eat at the restaurant at the hotel and the food was very good. I would have liked a broader selection to choose from. It is a great hotel with all the comfort and home and then some. :-)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Katrina A
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed because of the Tripadvisor #1 rating and were happy we did. The room was lovely and they thought of everything. While looking for the ice bucket I found the fabulous freezer drawer full of ice. The bathroom had a TV in the mirror. I will stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends