New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Deerfield, Illinois
“WOW! Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

My wife and I decided to take a Saturday evening off and come in from a northern suburb of Chicago. We were greeted at the reception desk with a smile and a great attitude, in fact we were upgraded to a suite. This was a the Hotel's smallest suite but was comfortable and large with a balcony. After a wonderful night's stay, our bag was being loaded into our car. I offered the employee a tip for retrieving the bag but he wouldn't accept it saying"With My Pleasure!"

Room Tip: I don't believe that there is a bad room in the Hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JerryH1680
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us and your positive feedback with regards to our ‘no tipping policy’. Our hotels definition of luxury does not include tips but does include welcoming our guest’s genuineness, warmth and a true desire to be of assistance. Giving without the expectation of receiving is the Waldorf Astoria Chicago way.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future.

(312) 646 1300

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

As expected the service at the hotel was amazing. From the concierge, Mark, with spot on dinner and show reservations to everyone else on staff impeccable service was offered at all times. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. I would recommend one with a balcony if you are going when the weather is nice. The electric light switch system was slightly too high tech for me, but a novel idea. I'm sure if I called the front desk they would have properly explained it to me. Spa is amazing, go even if you arent getting a service to use the sauna and steam room. Obviously meals and drinks are pricey but that is to be expected. The high level of service and comfort is worth the price.

Room Tip: Get a balcony if the weather is good!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank merestarks
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. Thank you for your feedback with regards to our concierge Mark Morasca, as well as your positive comments with regards to all of our team. We pride our team as our greatest asset to our hotel.
On your next visit with us we will ensure to explain the in room lighting system to you during your room orientation by one of our Guest Service Ambassadors.
We look forward to your next stay with us,

La Jolla, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

First time guest here, will not be my last. Service was unexcelled - staff take their cue from the guest - when we were in a rush, staffers snapped into action for us, and when our pace was more leisurely, they mirrored our pacing to serve us in a more leisurely fashion.

I admire that apparently any staff member can do anything - each time I rang the operator asking to be put through to the right department (valet, restaurant, concierge as just three examples), the operator asked what I needed and instantly said 'consider it done', be it the car being brought around, a restaurant reservation being made, or a city map marked with an off-site restaurant being brought to my room. Staff are top notch in every way, not one person made a misstep in any way during my week's stay, and my colleagues also made mention of their happiness that we chose to stay here.

Regarding location I at first marked it as good, not excellent, but then realized that I really like this location: off the main drag, one way street in front so much less traffic, less noise, less pollution. I had a large balcony and enjoyed using it. The weather was fine and I could actually conduct business via cell phone from the balcony without my phonemates once saying where are you, I can't hear you, what is that noise etc.

We ate on property at Balsan and it was a revelation - the food was so very good that we canceled one off-site dinner engagement so we could eat in Balsan again. Just as good the second time. Did not get chance to try RIA but that just makes me want to come back sooner rather than later. There are also innumerable wonderful restaurants within a five minute walk of the hotel, and when it was obvious we were walking somewhere rather than taking our car, the doorman offered for the hotel's car and driver to drive us where we wanted to go in town as a complimentary first-come first-serve service, what a welcome surprise.

Another surprise is the TV placed behind the bathroom mirror; I loved that and it's an indication of how much thought has gone into this entire place.

I noticed the same level of pleasant professional service and care to every guest throughout my stay, and when meeting guests in the elevator or bar or lobby, we all had smiles, knowing that we were the smart ones to stay at this lovely hotel in this fascinating city.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank HotelFanDeluxeYes
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Chicago. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

My third business trip to Chicago and my third stay at the Waldorf Astoria (formerly Elysian). I look forward to my stays here as the suites are beautiful. It's not cheap, particularly the dining and spa, but it's of a high standard. The service is first class and they've retained the Elysian's no-tipping custom which I welcome.
The only improvement I could suggest (and have) is for in-room coffee making facilities (English tea too if they really want to wow!).
The location is also great for shops and restaurants - plenty within a very short walk.
I can't wait to go back - I'd even stay here for pleasure and that's really saying something.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Nadine V
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

My arrival at hotel started magically. I truly love the cobblestone entrance and the lobby. Very classy and understated. I find the check-in to be seamless and warm for such a luxury hotel. While I didn't have a spa service, I did take in the steam room and terrace of the spa. It's a real treat. We had a dinner at the casual (for this hotel) bistro and I loved it. And the bar seemed to be hopping in the evening. I heard they craft a fine cocktail. The street noise was minimal and the rooms were beautiful. A wonderful spa bathroom that I wanted to stay in all day. I think the things I would change about the place would be the lack of a "club level" which I must admit is my favorite part of most luxury hotels. I just love going up to a floor where you can have a cocktail or espresso and just enjoy a quiet moment outside of your room. I know it seems like a shallow complaint, but we did pay $600 a night for the room, and an espresso maker wouldn't hurt. I can hardly get up without my strong coffee and heading down to the lobby for coffee first thing is not ideal. That being said, anyone who stays here will feel like royalty.

Room Tip: The rooms all looked big and bright. But a terrace is a must
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Betty R
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

Great hotel in so many ways-just not my fav. I expect if I were a spa person, I may have rated the W-A 5 stars, but they're not my thing. The room was very nice, & the bathroom was primo, w/ double sink & separate tub & shower. Beds were good but not terrific. It's obviously the luck of the draw, but I'm a huge 'view' person. Even a simple, active city street can be satisfying, but I'm never completely happy looking out at the back of another building, as was the case last wknd. It feels terribly confining, despite the oversized room. The location is great-just off Rush w/ the coolest restaurants & 2 blocks from Michigan Ave's Magnificent Mile shopping. I was unable to try the W-A's 2 Michelin-starred main dining room, but did have an expensive snack at Balsan (see review). I will reiterate in closing that the hotel's service was the best I've ever encountered. The doorman even ventured several blocks to find a cab for my sis-in-law on a busy Monday morning.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Tubman74
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

I've lost count of the times I've stayed at this property as the Elysian, but my first as a Waldorf Astoria. While many or indeed most of the staff are the same, the experience is not - Reservations are a disaster, dont know availability, get reservations wrong and apparently have not transferred data on previously loyal Elysian guests. The staff weren't smiling or indeed as friendly as they used to be....Although if this was my first visit I may not have noticed as much. It's ranking just "average" with me now. Would flowers in the lobby kill them ( token gesture on the front desk noted)???

• Stayed May 2012