“What more can be said” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Malibu, CA
“What more can be said”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Of the 500 plus "Excellent" rated reviews, I'm at a loss to add any other observations or accolades, other than to convey my gratitude to Mark and Bobby for making our stay special.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Gitane48:

Thank you for your short but sweet review of our property. We truly appreciate all of the kind words and especially for pointing out how great Bobby and Mark are. We hope to see you stay with us again soon.

All the best,

GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
Finger Lakes NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Room was perfect, rate was very reasonable, great location, staff was so friendly. Fridge was not chilling so maintenance not only replaced it w/in 5 minutes, they gave us free drinks w/o requests. This hotel is about friendly customer service!!

• Stayed February 2012
Dear rarhode:

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you wrote. I am glad we were able to fix the fridge so quickly for you.

We look forward to your return to the Palomar Chicago.

All the best,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My fiance and I are getting married in Chicago in September, and stayed at the Palomar over President's Day weekend while we took care of wedding business. I can not say enough great things about this property (but I'll try to limit my review to the highlights):

1. The staff - I emailed the management a few weeks before our stay to request a room on a high floor. Not only did they accomodate us, but they also upgraded our room to a FANTASTIC suite and had the room ready for my 10am arrival. They also sent my fiance and I a bottle of sparkling wine on the evening of our anniversary.

2. The room - Out of control awesome...floor to ceiling windows, seperate sitting area with a couch and comfy chair, great bed, huge closets, and the best tub I've ever seen (seriously...it fit two comfortably and could probably have fit five somewhat awkwardly). I would also recommend becoming a Kimpton In-Touch member - the service is free and it provides you with ammenities like a newspaper in the morning, pillow menu, free Wi-Fi, and a $10 raid the mini bar credit.

3. The restaurant - Excellent food and a drink menu that could astound even the most seasoned drinker (which I am certainly not). I loved the half portion option. My fiance and I wanted to try a few things, so ordered five small plates which will all great. I highly recommend the Short Rib Sliders!

4. Location - 15 minute walk to Hancock Tower, 15 minute walk to Millenium Park, and an inexpensive cab ride to pretty much anywhere. Perfect.

...so in case you're still unsure about staying here...BOOK IT NOW, thank me later. We'll be reserving a block of rooms for our wedding weekend, and know that our guests will be very well taken care of!

Room Tip: Email the managment before your stay!
1 Thank Rory0110
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I chose The Palomar for a long weekend (February 17-20). I made reservations online and made a note that we would be celebrating our Anniversary and coming from out of town (We live in Denver). Upon arrival the staff member who checked us in wished us "Happy Anniversary" and was very polite and helpful. When we arrived at our room there was a nice note from the manager of the hotel along with a bottle of champagne to celebrate our special occasion. What a wonderful touch!!

I can't think of one negative thing about this hotel or the hotel staff. Staff members went out of their way to help us and were always smiling!! The room was great - ask for a high floor - the city view is wonderful!! The location is great - perfect walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and more! We didn't eat at Sable, but we did stop in for a cocktail - AMAZING!

Thank you Hotel Palomar for a wonderful trip, we'll be back soon!!

Room Tip: High floors have a great view!
Evanston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I was perfectly pleased with my stay at the Palomar Chicago. The hotel is stylish without being too modern. The rooms were nicely appointed, although the beds were just a bit soft (but I like a firm mattress so this would not be a big issue for most people).

The bar in the hotel is very hip and crowded on the weekends, and the gym is actually reasonably well-equipped, but there are only 6-8 cardio machines, so they get filled quickly. The pool is rather small, and more of a dipping pool than a swimming pool. The concierge was pretty good, but they were not super helpful

A few quibbles....it took a while for the water in the shower to get hot in the mornings, and the bathrooms are a bit smallish. Also, there are only 2 elevators for the hotel floors, which can make for a slow wait at peak times.

Overall...this was a very solid choice, and I would not mind going back again, however I think that the 5-star ratings that many people have been giving the property may be somewhat inflated.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Brentwood, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We chose the Palomar based on the Trip Advisor review and the location in downtown Chicago. We are totally sold on the Palomar and Kimpton Hotels! The front desk personnel were professional, friendly and helpful. The interior of the hotel has an art deco feel and the room was very nicely appointed. Our room was a nice size and very comfortable. We upgraded to a city view and were lucky to have been given a corner room. We had breakfast at Sable, which was very good, but a bit pricey. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade for minimal extra charge
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We wanted to like this place because we visit Chicago from the suburbs as a family frequently. Unfortunately, we cannot recommend the Palomar Chicago.

We wanted a one-bedroom suite with another room with two beds. Before reserving, I called and was told they don't have these room types that connect, but that the rooms would be within a few doors of each other. We also wanted to make sure the rooms were quiet, away from the elevators, service doors, etc., especially since the kids like to sleep in.

We arrived a little early and were given the suite. When we came back later to check into the other room, the room number was quite a bit different from the suite. I asked to see the diagram for the floor, and after several minutes of fumbling around, they produced one that showed that not only was the other room not close to the suite, it was around the corner from the elevators, near the closet with the ice machine, and right next to the housekeeping service room. When I recounted what I was told by reservations, they indicated that was not the case and said they have heard of others being misled the same way we were. The only other choices were a room across the hall from this one or one in a quieter location but literally as far as you could get from the suite. They offered to give us rooms which were closer, but someone would end up on a rollaway or sofabed, do we took the quietest room a long walk from the other. Very disappointing.

We also brought our dog. We completed all the paperwork, and it still took three calls and a visit to the front desk just to get a (temporary) bowl so he could have water. Finally, they delivered the bed and bowls while we were out. The bed was laughably small, not even close to being adequate even though we had told them his size (and they could see him) when we checked in. We didn't bother trying to get another.

We brought swimming suits with the intention of using the pool. We ended up not doing so because the water was very cloudy and not warm. The pool is also quite small and very shallow (less than four feet).

The price for rooms at the Palomar is good, but we just can't get past being misled combined with the poor service we received. The decor of the rooms is pretty garish, but we knew that before we reserved from pictures on this site.

Room Tip: Don't believe anything reservations tells you about where rooms are located if this is important...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Travels_Mucho
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Travels_Mucho:

We appreciate your recent review on our hotel and we are truly sorry that you did not get the rooms you reserved close together. I am however grateful that we were able to check you in to your suite early. We are going to take this opportunity to further review the lay out of our hotel and room types with our Kimpton reservations team, which is not physically located on property as is common practice in this industry. Every now and then we need to refresh their team on what the physical lay out of the hotel is like so we do not disappoint our guests.

Clearly we did not live up to our end of the deal and you did not get what you expected. Since you also filled out a Kimpton survey and we are familiar with your particulars we will be sure to reach out to you to properly compensate you for this disappointing experience.

We hope you will give us another chance to make it right and to truly see what so many of our TA reviewers do.

Thank you.