“April Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“April Honeymoon”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Palomar for 4 days on our honeymoon. I cannot say enough about how wonderful this hotel is. From Tony the doorman to Jessica the conceirge. The hotel was beautiful and very clean. Conveniently located to shopping and restaurants. They sent champagne to the room our first night and every evening they filled our ice bucket, turned down our bed and chocolates on the pillows. The free coffee and tea every morning was a wonderful add on! They are always on the ball and helpful in every way. You can guarentee we will be back and we will be staying at the Palomar! Thank you for a wonderful honeymoon!

1 Thank indygirl40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
sedona
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I could literally go on and on about this hotel. The accomodating staff; superior location; comfortable and spacious rooms. A+++.

I am from Chicago originally, and come back for business and family visits 2-3X a year. In the past 6 months, I have chosen to stay at the Palomar hotel 3 times because of the exceptional accomodations and GREAT customer service.

First, if you want something, anything, JUST ASK. The staff will do everything they can to accomodate you. Your comfort and enjoyment is truly their #1 priority. If only every hotel treated their customers in this manner. I am a Hilton, Marriott and Sheraton Rewards Member. However, when I travel to Chicago, I choose the Palomar and am now a proud Kimpton member!

In your room you will find a well stocked mini bar, with some of the best assortment of healthy foods and drinks I have yet to see in my travels. There is a bathrobe, slippers and large umbrella in the closet for guests to use. . . .and/or purchase if so desired. The Sable Restaurant is DELICIOUS! I am a fish eating vegetarian, and there are plenty of options available on the menu to choose from. And guess what? If you are not sure you will like the food/drink. . .the wait staff is so certain you will be satisfied, they offer you the opportunity to try it and if you don't like it, you can choose something else. WOW! What do you have to lose?!?!

I did not have to return anything. . . .by the way.

The hotel has a great work-out area, and is conveniently located within walking distance of the John Hancock Center and the Art Institute (IF you like a 20-30 minute walk!). We walked EVERYWHERE, including the Shedd Aquarium.

And you are one block from the Red Line, which you can take North of the Loop.

Many thanks to Mark, who is always SO helpful when we are looking for places to eat.

Also, if you do have a car, I recommend parking in the parking Garage on Grand 1 block away. You will save $10!

Seriously, look no further! Book this hotel. You won't be sorry!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have nice views and lots of windows.
3 Thank LoisSedona
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear LoisSedona:

Thank you so much for the detailed review you just posted. We truly appreciate it and are so glad you love staying with us. I agree about Mark, he is an awesoem concierge and always finds just the right spots!

We look forward to yoru return in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

I was born and raised In Chicago and this is one of my favorite places to stay for a night in the city. Perfect location right in the heart of river north walking distance to everything!! Beautiful room wonderful service. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2012
Dear Mamck27:

Thank you so much for the review you just left for us. We are so glad that as a local, you love spending sometime with us. That makes us very happy and we hope to continue making your visits special.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Conveniently located hotel in magnificient Mile ,Chicago. Nice rooms, great view from pool. For a few days in Chi - perfect choice. Very friendly staff, pleasant add-ons as wine hour and coffee in the morning. One thing to improve- breakfast. Maybe for Americans could be OK, but I'm from Europe and , well, it is not OK.

Stayed April 2012
Dear Magad:

Thank you for your review about our hotel. We are glad you had a pleasant time here and also we are sorry that the breakfast did not live up to your expectations. Although I am not clear what the difference is between an European and American expectation reagrding breakfast, we appreciate your feedback.

All the best and we hope to see you again in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Love this hotel, well located in Chicago CBD. Kings spa rooms are very well appointed and have space, a large bathroom, large glass screened shower, excellent lounge seating, very good room service and friendly staff. I could not fault this hotel in my four day stay. I would highly recommend the Palomar for either holidays or business. Bar is usually pleasantly busy and restaurant is also good. Other hotels could learn from the design and size of the king spa rooms, price of extras, etc.
Yes I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Consider the hote'ls offer re upgrade for not much extra.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cyberlion
Dear cyberlion:

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We always appreciate the feedback so we can look for ways to make things even better. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the King Spa premiere room - those jacuzzi tubs truly are one of a kind.

We hope to see you back with us again soon.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My husband and I usually stay at the Peninsula...but we decided to give the Palomar a try because of the reviews on TripAdvisor (and because we felt the service at the Peninsula was slipping). We were very impressed.....service is 5 star. The follow through and attentiveness of the staff is really above the "5 Star" hotels. The rooms are nice-they are super clean, very functional (outlets), nice bath, spacious etc.
If you join the Kimpton club, there is no charge for the Internet! That's a plus for us!! We feel the Internet is a staple....up there with hot water. Nothing irritates us more than over paying at a luxury hotel only to be overcharged for a service that should come with the room.
Kimpton has impressed us....their service has beat the Peninsula!
We will be back

1 Thank lntyrrell
Dear lntyrrell:

Thank you so much for the review you just posted. To be favorably compared to the Peninsula is truly an honor and we very much appreciate it. We will continue to work hard to make this one of the most affordable yet special hotels in Chicago. Thank you for the inspiration.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Hotel is well located.
Consistently good service from the front desk. Door men were not so attentive and I was left to wrestle with 2 huge suitcases while they chatted and warmed themselves...the only Caucasian doorman there however, was helpful and attentive consistently towards all guests.
Housekeeping was fair with one exceptional staff whom I even hunted down to thank personally.

Beds and pillows were comfortable. Love all the extra pillows. The free wireless available when one signs up as a member of kimptpm is great!
The $10 in room bar voucher is a treat as well as the wine/ pizza being offered in the evening ( I myself didn't partake but I could see other guests thoroughly enjoying themselves!)

I like the idea of boarding pass print outs for guests in the business center .

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank NimBiTus
Dear NimBiTus:

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate all the feedback we get and I am truly sorry that you were made to struggle with luggage at the front door. That is certainly not typical or acceptable.

We also very much appreciate that you have become a Kimpton convert and hope to see you in one of our hotels in the near future.