“Spectacular food in a place where you can't hear yourself.”
Review of Girl & The Goat

Girl & The Goat
Reserve with OpenTable
Girl & The Goat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 9,882 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: West Loop
Cross street: Halsted
Transit: #8 Halsted Bus at Randolph
Description: Girl & the Goat has been serving fun foods, craft beers, and making wine in a rustic and kick-butt environment since summer 2010. The restaurant opens at 4:30 every day, and stays open until 11pm on weeknights and until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays (until those last late night eaters scrape their fork across the plate for the last time, or finish licking their plates until they're shiny and clean). The Goat's menu is divided into three categories: Vegetable, Fish, and of course Meat--while vegetable, fish, or meat are respectively the main stars of their categories, there are crossovers in each area so you'll get a little bit of everything. Bread is baked daily, and there are always new creations on the menu. Girl & the Goat sits in the West Loop smack dab in the Randolph Restaurant Corridor, but the location is still gritty enough to appeal to the chef’s integrity. The Goat has a variety of seating choices, including a comfortable lounge, bar seats, standard table seating, and four seats close enough to the kitchen line that you might be asked to help.Girl & the Goat blended their own wine, and it's tasty. There are beers on tap from Three Floyd’s and a couple others. If you're lucky, you might come across the elusive collaboration beers that Stephanie personally crafted with a couple of beer buddy cohorts. In addition to tap beers, there's also a bunch of bottles to choose from. Girl & the Goat is open 7 days a week, because The Goat is a tireless beast, and besides, who needs rest anyway? Girl & the Goat accepts reservations but always welcomes walk-ins, nomads, adventurers, and those of you who don’t like to plan.
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We celebrated my wife's birthday dinner and enjoyed one of our most memorable meals, ever. We shared each dish so sampled six, dessert included. Our salad sounded unremarkable, but the taste (dressing with a hint of ginger) and the texture (crunchy thin fennel, firm fresh blueberries) made it a unique introduction to the menu. We had frogs legs, served on a bed of wilted greens and another interesting dressing that more than made up for the small amount of meat the frogs legs provide. Next came our favorite dish, goat empanadas. These were slightly crisp, golden brown empanadas filled with medium ground, flavored meat -- presumably goat -- served on a bed of garlic, ground almonds (?) and other spices. Again, novel, delicate flavors were complimented by the varied textures of the empanada crust, the meat within, and the mixture on which they were presented. The "diver" scallops were large, cooked to perfection, and served with their own bed of greens and spices. Only when measured against the terrific dishes we had just eaten, did the scallops come out as only average -- solely because of the accompanying greens and spices. We completed the meal with the goat cheesecake, which surely had no goat as an ingredient, but was decadently rich cheesecake topped with creme and drizzled with carmel (cajete), and a serving of pastureized cheese (three sisters) served with two kinds of crisp cracker and sugar coated nut morsels on the side. The place was packed on a Wednesday night, with the bar and waiting area crammed with folks without a reservation. We were seated within five minutes of our reservation (made 1 week in advance on OpenTable -- for the only time slot left available). Other tables of four and six did not seem to be moving; almost no one left while we ate (1.5 hours). That contributed to a noise level I am unaccustomed to in top restaurants. But again, this is a really "happening" place that deserves the hype because it delivers the food. Thank heavens we weren't on a first date, and after 40 years of marriage were happy to just listen and observe the interactions of the many dinners the ages of our kids. The cost was reasonable for the quality of food and number of dishes -- $82 without drinks.

2  Thank Reamor
Write a ReviewReviews (2,714)

Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

While in town on business we were looking for nice restaurants to try. The Girl and the Goat kept surfacing so we thought we would invest some time and give it a try. We knew that reservations were booked months out so we would have to show up and wait. I called before we left our hotel so we would have an idea of his long our wait would be and were told about an hour. We arrived approx. 30 minutes later and were told the wait was 1 hour and 15 minutes. I have never waited over an hour to eat somewhere and the times I have waited an hour can be counted on less than one hand. BUT because of all of the hype surrounding this restaurant I figured it was worth my time to wait. We ended up waiting an hour and 20 minutes, and I can say waiting an hour I have learned is my limit. I had ample time to survey the surroundings. The decor is nice and trendy, but it was very very noisy. I had hoped that once we got a table the sound level would be more acceptable. Unfortunately it wasn't. Our 2 person table was against the standing bar area, so we had people literally 1 foot away standing above our table. One person annoyingly gave a play by play of our meal to his companion, and another explained how pricey the game of Polo is. I literally could hear these conversations better than I could hear my husband.
I can recall the exact names of our dishes, but we had the chickpea vegetable-EXCELLENT, fresca bread-GREAT, ham frites (basically bacon
flavored french fries-good, some kind of peppers-not so good, and pig face-very good. We also sampled the chocolate cake-very good. The food prices were reasonable. I actually was surprised they
weren't higher priced due to the demand for reservations. The drinks WERE pricey. All in all the food was very good, the service above average, the atmosphere to me was below average because of the noise level and close proximity of people standing by our table.
I enjoyed the food, but if I had it to do over again I would NOT wait over an hour to eat here. I actually wouldn't wait over 30 minutes. Interesting/tasty food. Mediocre experience.

1  Thank RHGH2001
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Went with my wife a 2 adult daughters. Seating took a hour with reservations. Seating Nazi was rude. It was worse once we were seated, as it took another 30 minutes to get drinks, then another 45 minutes to place our order. Meal then took an hour to be served. Food was acceptable, just barely, and overpriced.
I have had worse experiences, but only at very REMOTE truck stops in the middle of Montana.
Would not return under any circumstances.

3  Thank tankerman32
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We absolutely loved The Girl & the Goat! I had tried for a month to get reservations, and the night before we went, I checked Opentable one last time, and I found a reservation available. We arrived a bit early, had drinks at the very lively bar and then were escorted to our seats at the kitchen window (Only 4 available). If you get a chance to sit here, do so! It's an experience you'll never forget. We were able to try several dishes. Our favorites were the goat empanada, the broccoli, scallops, belly cheeks and short ribs. You cannot go wrong at this restaurant, and the prices are so reasonable for the quality of food that you get. We also loved the lively atmosphere...very loud music and lots of people! This is our new favorite place!

2  Thank FlipFlopsandCaviar
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We showed up without a reservation around 5:30 since everything was booked. We only waited 15 minutes at the bar before delving into a window table full of a fantastic selection of raw oysters. Share plates, enjoy the attentive but not intrusive service.

1  Thank kcdenman

Been to Girl & The Goat? Share your experiences!