“My favourite building in Chicago... beautiful inside and out”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #19 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Windsor, Canada
“My favourite building in Chicago... beautiful inside and out”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The Aqua building has always been my favourite building in Chicago, and when I saw a Groupon for the new Radisson hotel that opened there I bought 2 nights immediately.
The hotel is very modern - the rooms are immaculate with clean lines and minimalistic design. Loved the radio/dock for our iPod which also included an aux port for my Android. I used the free WiFi to connect to Sirius to play in the room which was an added bonus.
I bought the upgrade waiting list option for a corner room with King Bed. Totally worth it at the discounted rate of $20 a night. We were on the 5th floor, so the view wasn't that great, but I was just thrilled to be IN the buildling. We could see a sliver of the park and Navy Pier.
Because it was Feb, the outdoor poor was closed - but you could tell that it must be lovely in the summer time. There is an indoor lap pool but there are only 2 lanes, so it's a bit limited. There is also a super hot spa (jacuzzi) there and a port for your iPod so you can play your own music while enjoying the pool/hot tub.
The pillows were very soft - but comfy for us. The bed also very comfy. The toiletries were nice, though I found the conditioner wasn't that great even though it was "Made in France". The shower is funky - with a rain-style shower head, and an secondary Chrome shower handle.
The door men are very friendly, and the lounge/Filini bar are very funky. The bathrooms on the main floor are really crazy - with mirrored tile covering the walls from floor to ceiling.
Location is great - very close to Michigan, but on a quiet street so very little vehicle traffic.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wheresheroams
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a nice review! I am honored that you think the building is beautiful inside and out and to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I have passed your compliments on to our team! We hope to see you back again soon; thanks again!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend and the hotel is pretty amazing. When we arrived we were welcomed by a friendly doorman (Bob) who helped us with our bags and escorted us to the Front Desk to check in. The gentleman that checked us in was very nice and professional and explained all the details to us. We were brought up to our room by the door or bellman. The room decor was not our taste. It was very dark and just not our preference so we called the Front Desk after spending a few minutes in the room and were politly offered to move to another room. The new room was much lighter, very clean and we loved it. The lobby is amazing. They have a 50ft long fire place with a loungy area in front which is great to enjoy some drinks at night. The bar seemed busy but we still got served in a timely manner. Server was very friendly as well.
However during our stay we did have several issues with room service and the housekeeping service. We ordered breakfast Saturday and were waiting and waiting and waiting. An hour passed, we called and they told us they have not gotten an order from our room! Are you kidding me? They then took our order a second time and promised the food will be up shortly. After we finished breakfast we called to ask housekeeping to clean our room and asked the concierge on our way out for some sightseeing tips. He also gave us some great recommendations for dinner that night. We came back to the hotel after exploring Chicago only to find a dirty room that has not been cleaned yet. We were pretty annoyed by that fact because we were planning on getting ready for dinner.
They have a fancy system on their TV's that supposley show you the room service menu and information about the hotel which didn't work as well.
For Sunday morning we asked for a wake up call at 8am that we never received as well. I understand that the hotel is brand new and they are still working out the issues but we could have missed our flight if we would not have set our alarm ourselves.
Anyway, when we came down to the Front Desk to check out, we met one of the nicest employees ever. Jessica was the manager that morning and she was so understanding and helpful. She offered several solutions and was simply outstanding. We were a little disappointed when we came down to check out but by the time we left we forgot about all the issues due to excellent service from your manager. She is a keeper!
If we visit Chicago again we will definitely be back and give the hotel another try.

Room Tip: Parkview is a good choice!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your overall stay, but would like to apologize for the complications that you mentioned. I have addressed your coments with both our housekeeping and room service managers and we are working diligently to repair the issue you mentioned with the television system. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience we caused for you. I would also like to thank you for you wonderful comments about Bob and Jessica. I have passed these on to each of them and they were truly honored that you took the time to mention them by name. I hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to the city!

Creedmoor, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The Blu is a modern hotel with well appointed rooms. There's two free bottles of water every day in the room, which is becoming more and more rare in hotels. I was here for a business trip with lots of catered meetings, and the food was always good with a wide variety. The meeting spaces are easy to get to and well equipped. Internet access was free in the rooms but never worked in the meeting areas. Cell phone coverage is terrible here though.

1 Thank Gbmyers
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thank you so much for leaving us a review! I am happy to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and that your experience with our banquets department was positive! I have passed along your compliments to the Chef! I would like to apologize for the issues that you mentioned. We are looking into your comments and working diligently to ensure that they are corrected for future visits. We hope to see you again soon!

Brookfield, Illinois
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Just spent a thoroughly delightful stay at Radisson Blu Aqua. I have admired the design since it opened and Jeanne Gang, the architect deserves high praise. Aqua stands out on the Chicago skyline. I was on the 10th floor and the city view from my balcony was grand. The lobby is gorgeous as are the rooms. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. The location is great - close to wonderful restaurants, Harris Theater of Music and Dance, just off Michigan Avenue. I have already booked two more visits.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SharonLee645
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your stay and the building design! We can't wait for you to return for your additional visits!

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 30 January 2012

In town for Strictly Sail Chicago show. Beautiful hotel, excellent location, walking distance from about anything your looking for. Parking downtown Chicago is the pits. We parked at a Southshore train depot free, took the Southshore train into Millennium park and took an easy walk to our hotel. No parking and an easy 8.00 train ride. We had a Groupon for here and it was well worth the money. Rooms are unbelievable! Staff very friendly. Drinks a little pricey but your in downtown Chicago so you can expect that.

Room Tip: We had a city view room and it was nice but on 4th floor so not very high up ask for something up hi...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able ot use our close location to the train to your advantage and that you were able to utilize our Groupon offer. I hope that we see you back again soon!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Radisson Blu Aqua.Modern rooms with comfortable beds, it was not so easy to go up in the morning. The lobby is cosy with the fireplace, and I recomend to eat and drink at the Fellinis bar and resturant with nice service. They also have a really good Fitness center with full gym equipment and pool.The staff on this hotel is very serviceminded and seems truly love to work here
And I will definitely visit this hotel next time I am in Chicago

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I very happy that you enjoyed your experience and that our staff left such a nice impression! We hope to see you back again soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The hotel opened in November 2011. It has a great location, downtown Chicago, across from the Fairmont.

The facilities are new, of course, and it has everything.

Staff are friendly and helpful.

Their computer system needs a bit of work though. We booked for three nights, and when we arrived were told our checkout was the next day. We re-confirmed for three nights, but got a bill the first night indicating we were checking out the next day. We got that straightened out for one room, but a couple of others had the problem every day.

That said, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! I am glad that you enjoyed your overall experience, but would like to apologize for the billing and computer issue you mentioned. I am looking into this with our team and am truly sorry for any inconvenience this caused for you. I am happy that this would not stop you from returning to the hotel and I hope to see you again soon!