“I will stay here again”

Ranked #9 of 23 Chicago B&B and Inns
theCrankyProfessor
“I will stay here again”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

The Villa Toscana is perfectly located for the happy walker -- not many more than 3 blocks from the Addison L station, and not more than 4 from Belmont. That will get you anywhere on a North/South Chicago axis! And it's in the heart of Boystown for those inclined that way. There are more restaurants in the immediate vicinity (Halsted and Broadway) than anyone needs for a several day stay.

I stayed on the ground floor rear, so NO noise issues from the close-by bar patios. Breakfast is great for the Carbovores - I had yogurt and fruit (which were abundant, too). There was cheese, but I didn't bother.

The deck in the garden is very nice - I was lucky to enjoy it in March in the sun!

Room Tip: Be sure to check for en suite bath!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Elkhart, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We had a wedding to attend in Boystown and this place was really close to the venue. We were thrilled with our stay. It's tucked back in from the street and the courtyard and front porch are picturesque. We stayed in The Venetian, which had a private bathroom. The room was a bit small but adequate. The bedding was of good quality and the bed very comfortable. The kitchen was well stocked for breakfast with a variety of fresh croissants, bagels, muffins, fruit, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee and tea. After checking in, we didn't see anyone the rest of our stay although we heard doors closing a couple of times. It was very quiet and peaceful. They also gave us a parking permit and we were able to park within a block. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: If you want a private bathroom, make sure to ask which rooms include one. Some rooms have a shared...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Nice place with really friendly people. Wifi internet access is free and the room was clean and comfortable and I felt very much at home. Great location close to the subway red line and to lake Michigan. The bathroom was shared but it didn't present a problem during my stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Glendale, AZ
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Don't let the cost fool you. All Chicago hotel rates are high. Here you get more. If you like to walk, then this is the place. Both airports, all sightseeing, and downtown are connected by the train. You're in the center of the Halstead community of numerous gay friendly restaurants, stores, and bars. At night, Chicago can be dangerous. Never walk alone.

• Stayed June 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here for several days during a recent trip to Chicago. The rooms were smaller than we anticipated, but it was a reasonable trade off for the location in the city. The B&B is a couple blocks from the nearest metro station, and there are several great bars and restaurants surrounding it. We also enjoyed having access to a front porch and garden -- a seemingly rare commodity in town.

The staff was friendly and accessible, although they are not on sight all day. Nevertheless, they are a phone call away and very helpful when needed. The Villa Toscana may not be for everyone, simply because of the small rooms (and bed depending on the room), but it is a good place for those who enjoy old houses and are willing to make some trade-off's to stay in Chicago's trendy North Side. When we visit Chicago next time, we plan to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yevlakh_Rambler
San Francisco, CA USA
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Location, Location,,this is a great place and its right boytown gay district. Bars, Restaurants are just step away. its a cute place and very clean. Joyce who is working also very nice. I highly recommend it. I def stay here again if I go back to Chicago.

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I read the other reports on here and I have to admit to having serious reservations about staying in this establishment. However I have to say that I am perplexed as to how this place could receive any negative reports. Joy was welcoming helping with my travel itinerary and going way beyond the call of duty. The area is predominantly gay and very safe to walk around with good access to downtown on the el. I stayed in room 2 which was very comfortable had a great sleep. Would not hesitate to return

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business