“Loud but nice”

Ranked #112 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Dallas, Georgia
“Loud but nice”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed in a room on the front side of the hotel on the second floor. It was a nice, clean, and comfortable room but was very noisy. The train station next door meant that late at night and early in the morning you could hear the train and the announcements. The radiator in the bathroom made lots of noises through the night as well. My room was small, but well furnished. I am not a light sleeper and was very tired the week that I stayed here so all the noise didn't bother me too much, but this is something to keep in mind if noise keeps you awake.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TijuanaJuan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Sydney
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My family recently stayed at the City Suites and found it to be just lovely. The standard rooms are rather small, my husband and I upgraded to a suite which was spacious and comfortable though not especially stylish or trendy.

A few upsides that we found include:
--the fabulous shower: I honestly can't remember the last time I had a shower that great (other than at home!)
--The location: if you want to be near Lakeview and right on the L, this is a great option. It also close to things like a frozen yogurt shop, a Jamba Juice, a Potbelly, Ann Sathers, etc...
--There is a lovely "living room" where we spent time relaxing - coffee and tea all day, a microwave, a fireplace and cookies in the afternoon, it was very cozy and comfortable.
--A basic breakfast is included with the room and wifi is free!
--The staff were really helpful and eager to please!

The only downside I can think of is that it was a bit noisy - we could hear people talking both in the hallway outside our room and also outside on the street. My uncle's room was on the other side of the hallway from ours and he said that he could hear the announcement from the platform of the L...

That said, if you don't mind a bit of noise, it's great value for the price!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Hamilton, Ohio
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the City Suites Hotel, Staff very friendly and helpful from check in till check out. Room very comfortable, up & down side to this hotel is it proximity to the L (maybe 100’), we could hear they platform announcements from our room, if you are a light sleeper this will most likely be a problem for you and I recommend staying somewhere else. The heat situation in the rooms with the radiators was a bit of an issue, not knowing a 100% how they work it did make the room temperature a little tricky to regulate. To me these minor issues would not keep me from stay at this hotel again (I will be staying here again in the spring to go to a Cubs game).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My college age daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a dance event at Links Hall. We really liked the fact that it was so close to everything. Put us right in the heart of busy Wrigleyville/Boystown. So much to do and see. We loved the old time feel of this hotel and how comfortable it was. We requested a room away from the el station and did not hear a thing. It was very quiet! We hopped on the train which is right next door and took it into the loop and back. Friendly staff! I did not know about the complimentary continental breakfast so that could have been better advertised. We missed it.

Room Tip: I had heard the hotel could be noisy because of the close proximity to the train station. I requeste...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MNmade15
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed for a day and night at City Suites Hotel with my Best friend and twin brother. Had a wonderful time! Love Chicago and Love City Suites Hotel. Coming back Soon!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at the City Suites for a long weekend getaway.We got a great rate on their website, $89 a night for a King Suite. The hotel is conveniently located next to the red line stop at Belmont. We called ahead and requested a room on the quiet side of the hotel and of course when we checked in the only available room was on the side next to the train tracks. The room was comfortable and clean but we defiantly heard the train all night long.The suite consistent of two rooms, the living room had a couch, mini refrigerator and a desk. The king bed and pillows were comfy. There was an all night party going on in one or two of the rooms on our floor which also spilled out into the hallway which went on until about 5 AM. So between the train and the party we didn't get much sleep the first night. The staff at the front desk agreed to move us to another room on the quiet side for the rest of our stay. The new room was very quiet however there was a problem with heat, it wouldn't turn off so it felt like we were in a sauna. Our trip was in the middle of December and we had to run the air-condition on high to keep the temperature comfortable. Seems like a big waste of energy. The hotel offers free wireless in the rooms and also free breakfast.This was a big plus and the breakfast was really good and consisted of juice, milk, coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate, cereal, fruit cups, yogurt, doughnuts,Danishes, muffins, hard boiled eggs and Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. The hotel is a great locations for those visiting the bars and clubs in boystown. Lots of great restaurants are right outside the door. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We would defiantly stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train tracks
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kcbeefy
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My sister and I stayed at City Suites in September during a Bridal Market at the Merchandise Mart. Very clean room and bathroom. Comfy beds, nice complimentary breakfast in a.m. Staff extremely attentive and helpful. Sitting area separate from sleeping area. Lots of good reasonable restaurants within walking distance (went to the Thai place twice). The hotel is a 30 second walk to an EL station and the train gets you right into the station to the Merchandise Mart. The hotel is not downtown, kind of a neighborbood but seemed very safe. Free wi-fi @ hotel. Will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room when booking.
Stayed September 2011, travelled on business