“You can get anywhere in Chicago from here!”
Review of City Suites Hotel

City Suites Hotel
Ranked #111 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I had no idea where to stay on my first trip to Chicago. Finding an apartment for my daughter was the goal and so I wanted a hotel close to public transportation. I am glad we decided to stay at City Suites. The train station is right next door and you can connect to all the different lines that will take you in every direction. Noise wasn't a problem for us but maybe that was because our room didn't face the train platform. Regardless, the hotel is very nice, the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful and the rooms provided plenty of room with two separate areas, each one with its own flat screen TV. There is free wifi, a mini bar, refrigerator and all the other usual amenities. The free continental breakfast offered everything we wanted and was well maintained. There is coffee and hot water 24/7 and fresh cookies in the afternoon. The lounge with fireplace provided a quiet spot to read and relax. I have only two complaints: Housekeeping often didn't get to make up our room until quite late in the afternoon even though the "Housekeeping Please" tag was hung on our door early each morning. The wall air conditioners were old, a little noisy and didn't quite cool down the room to my satisfaction. The ceiling fans helped but I like a REALLY cool room.
Overall, City Suites is a very good hotel and I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train platform.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank yolos

Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed in a room on the front side of the hotel on the second floor. It was a nice, clean, and comfortable room but was very noisy. The train station next door meant that late at night and early in the morning you could hear the train and the announcements. The radiator in the bathroom made lots of noises through the night as well. My room was small, but well furnished. I am not a light sleeper and was very tired the week that I stayed here so all the noise didn't bother me too much, but this is something to keep in mind if noise keeps you awake.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TijuanaJuan
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My family recently stayed at the City Suites and found it to be just lovely. The standard rooms are rather small, my husband and I upgraded to a suite which was spacious and comfortable though not especially stylish or trendy.

A few upsides that we found include:
--the fabulous shower: I honestly can't remember the last time I had a shower that great (other than at home!)
--The location: if you want to be near Lakeview and right on the L, this is a great option. It also close to things like a frozen yogurt shop, a Jamba Juice, a Potbelly, Ann Sathers, etc...
--There is a lovely "living room" where we spent time relaxing - coffee and tea all day, a microwave, a fireplace and cookies in the afternoon, it was very cozy and comfortable.
--A basic breakfast is included with the room and wifi is free!
--The staff were really helpful and eager to please!

The only downside I can think of is that it was a bit noisy - we could hear people talking both in the hallway outside our room and also outside on the street. My uncle's room was on the other side of the hallway from ours and he said that he could hear the announcement from the platform of the L...

That said, if you don't mind a bit of noise, it's great value for the price!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the City Suites Hotel, Staff very friendly and helpful from check in till check out. Room very comfortable, up & down side to this hotel is it proximity to the L (maybe 100’), we could hear they platform announcements from our room, if you are a light sleeper this will most likely be a problem for you and I recommend staying somewhere else. The heat situation in the rooms with the radiators was a bit of an issue, not knowing a 100% how they work it did make the room temperature a little tricky to regulate. To me these minor issues would not keep me from stay at this hotel again (I will be staying here again in the spring to go to a Cubs game).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My college age daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a dance event at Links Hall. We really liked the fact that it was so close to everything. Put us right in the heart of busy Wrigleyville/Boystown. So much to do and see. We loved the old time feel of this hotel and how comfortable it was. We requested a room away from the el station and did not hear a thing. It was very quiet! We hopped on the train which is right next door and took it into the loop and back. Friendly staff! I did not know about the complimentary continental breakfast so that could have been better advertised. We missed it.

Room Tip: I had heard the hotel could be noisy because of the close proximity to the train station. I requeste...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MNmade15
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed for a day and night at City Suites Hotel with my Best friend and twin brother. Had a wonderful time! Love Chicago and Love City Suites Hotel. Coming back Soon!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at the City Suites for a long weekend getaway.We got a great rate on their website, $89 a night for a King Suite. The hotel is conveniently located next to the red line stop at Belmont. We called ahead and requested a room on the quiet side of the hotel and of course when we checked in the only available room was on the side next to the train tracks. The room was comfortable and clean but we defiantly heard the train all night long.The suite consistent of two rooms, the living room had a couch, mini refrigerator and a desk. The king bed and pillows were comfy. There was an all night party going on in one or two of the rooms on our floor which also spilled out into the hallway which went on until about 5 AM. So between the train and the party we didn't get much sleep the first night. The staff at the front desk agreed to move us to another room on the quiet side for the rest of our stay. The new room was very quiet however there was a problem with heat, it wouldn't turn off so it felt like we were in a sauna. Our trip was in the middle of December and we had to run the air-condition on high to keep the temperature comfortable. Seems like a big waste of energy. The hotel offers free wireless in the rooms and also free breakfast.This was a big plus and the breakfast was really good and consisted of juice, milk, coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate, cereal, fruit cups, yogurt, doughnuts,Danishes, muffins, hard boiled eggs and Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. The hotel is a great locations for those visiting the bars and clubs in boystown. Lots of great restaurants are right outside the door. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We would defiantly stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train tracks
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple