“An overall dirty experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of City Suites Hotel

City Suites Hotel
Ranked #111 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Eagan, Minnesota
“An overall dirty experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

My family stayed at the City Suites and first of all walked up step that were both perilous in being tilted and soft as well as cramped. As we entered the door the smell of the room was quite bad but after a while you got over it. The rooms were pretty small as well. We then saw the snacks and refrigerator full of goodies with which the hotel hoped to pilfer the remainder of our cash through temptation. We decided to leave all of those things as they were and that so far nothing was very bad. So I sat down on the couch and smelled something funny. I did not think so much about it seeing as the whole room smelled funny but a few hours later as I was lying down on the couch I sniffed the seat and all of a sudden I knew what I had smelled. Urine. Luckily the bathroom seemed to be clean so I showered in there and asked for the cushions to be replaced. Twelve hours later the place still smelled and felt dirty. I went to sleep and throughout the night I heard, "Beep Beep, doors are closing," from the train next door.

Room Tip: Find a room on the farside from the train, but hopefully you wont get a room here at all.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Keo C
marino44, Regional Manager at City Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank You for taking the time to share your experience at the Majestic Hotel. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services.

I am very concerned to learn about the condition of the room you stayed in during your recent stay, but I can guarantee you this is not a common experience. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I would like to discuss this matter with you personally, so please call me at the hotel 773-404-3499 and ask for me directly.

I look forward to speaking with you and hope you give us an opportunity to restore your confidence with us in the near future.

Keith E. Scott
Regional Manager
Broughton Hospitality

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
La Puente, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Loved the location of the hotel. We jumped off of the Red Line on Belmont exited the station, turned right and BAM! there is the hotel. We were able to get all over the city from this location. Yes, you can hear the train and on weekend nights, you hear the revellers in the alley (if your room is on that side), but we don't mind "city" noise. I always pack a pair of earplugs when I travel anyway, just in case. I only used the earplugs one night.

Aside from that, the hotel is walking distance from Wrigleyville, restaurants, bars, clubs and a jazz club. Anywhere else you want to go, just jump on the train. The crowd was mostly college age outside of the hotel, but the hotel had a more "refined" clientel. The room was well appointed and had a real nice feel to it. The bed was comfortable. I thought it was cute that they sold little souveniers in the minibar as well as full bottles of wine. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful our entire stay. I always like that. One thing of note, the elevator is TINY! Watch out if you bring a lot of luggage or large bags. My husband and I just fit with our carry on luggage.

Overall, we liked City Suites and would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room away from the train.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Ft. Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I had no idea where to stay on my first trip to Chicago. Finding an apartment for my daughter was the goal and so I wanted a hotel close to public transportation. I am glad we decided to stay at City Suites. The train station is right next door and you can connect to all the different lines that will take you in every direction. Noise wasn't a problem for us but maybe that was because our room didn't face the train platform. Regardless, the hotel is very nice, the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful and the rooms provided plenty of room with two separate areas, each one with its own flat screen TV. There is free wifi, a mini bar, refrigerator and all the other usual amenities. The free continental breakfast offered everything we wanted and was well maintained. There is coffee and hot water 24/7 and fresh cookies in the afternoon. The lounge with fireplace provided a quiet spot to read and relax. I have only two complaints: Housekeeping often didn't get to make up our room until quite late in the afternoon even though the "Housekeeping Please" tag was hung on our door early each morning. The wall air conditioners were old, a little noisy and didn't quite cool down the room to my satisfaction. The ceiling fans helped but I like a REALLY cool room.
Overall, City Suites is a very good hotel and I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train platform.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank yolos
Dallas, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed in a room on the front side of the hotel on the second floor. It was a nice, clean, and comfortable room but was very noisy. The train station next door meant that late at night and early in the morning you could hear the train and the announcements. The radiator in the bathroom made lots of noises through the night as well. My room was small, but well furnished. I am not a light sleeper and was very tired the week that I stayed here so all the noise didn't bother me too much, but this is something to keep in mind if noise keeps you awake.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TijuanaJuan
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

My family recently stayed at the City Suites and found it to be just lovely. The standard rooms are rather small, my husband and I upgraded to a suite which was spacious and comfortable though not especially stylish or trendy.

A few upsides that we found include:
--the fabulous shower: I honestly can't remember the last time I had a shower that great (other than at home!)
--The location: if you want to be near Lakeview and right on the L, this is a great option. It also close to things like a frozen yogurt shop, a Jamba Juice, a Potbelly, Ann Sathers, etc...
--There is a lovely "living room" where we spent time relaxing - coffee and tea all day, a microwave, a fireplace and cookies in the afternoon, it was very cozy and comfortable.
--A basic breakfast is included with the room and wifi is free!
--The staff were really helpful and eager to please!

The only downside I can think of is that it was a bit noisy - we could hear people talking both in the hallway outside our room and also outside on the street. My uncle's room was on the other side of the hallway from ours and he said that he could hear the announcement from the platform of the L...

That said, if you don't mind a bit of noise, it's great value for the price!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Hamilton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the City Suites Hotel, Staff very friendly and helpful from check in till check out. Room very comfortable, up & down side to this hotel is it proximity to the L (maybe 100’), we could hear they platform announcements from our room, if you are a light sleeper this will most likely be a problem for you and I recommend staying somewhere else. The heat situation in the rooms with the radiators was a bit of an issue, not knowing a 100% how they work it did make the room temperature a little tricky to regulate. To me these minor issues would not keep me from stay at this hotel again (I will be staying here again in the spring to go to a Cubs game).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My college age daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a dance event at Links Hall. We really liked the fact that it was so close to everything. Put us right in the heart of busy Wrigleyville/Boystown. So much to do and see. We loved the old time feel of this hotel and how comfortable it was. We requested a room away from the el station and did not hear a thing. It was very quiet! We hopped on the train which is right next door and took it into the loop and back. Friendly staff! I did not know about the complimentary continental breakfast so that could have been better advertised. We missed it.

Room Tip: I had heard the hotel could be noisy because of the close proximity to the train station. I requeste...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family