“Great location”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Great location”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Good rooms with wonderful spacious bathrooms. Centrally located. Very helpful staff.
It is a busy commercial hotel but we stayed on a weekend and found it was pleasantly quiet.
Good rates. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Lockport, Illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My daughter and I stayed for 2 weekday nights during spring break. The hotel has a great location for shopping at Water Tower and on the Mag Mile. Our room, 710, has a fantastic view of the Hancock building. We booked through Hotwire, so we had an incredible rate.

The bed is super soft - my daughter loved it. I, on the other hand, had a difficult time sleeping on it with my bad back. We enjoyed the turn down service in which our bed had to be re-made each day after my 11 year old did many flips on it. There was a stocked minibar, but we would have preferred an empty mini fridge instead.

We ate breakfast one day in the hotel restaurant and one day through room service. The room service breakfast came on time and was still hot. We definitely enjoyed the in room dining better! The room service breakfast was cheaper than the restaurant, even with the $3 fee. In the restaurant, everything has a separate charge - $5 apple juice, $4 toast, etc. It must be bundled with the breakfast entrees for room service.

Overall, we thought the hotel was stuffy...from check in to the hotel restaurant to the hotel bar. It's definitely not a hotel that feels welcoming to families. We were the only people we saw casually dressed and not in business attire.

4 Thank Kristen W
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Me and my wife went to the hotel last weekend to celebrate her birthday, I just want to take the time to tell you how great of an experience we had. I want to give a special thank you to the concierge Heather, front desk Rebecca, and the server at Lebar, Eugania. My wife and I were extremely impressed with the excellent service from the house keeping crew and everyone from the front of the house. It was a very special day for my wife, and I wanted to make sure it was perfect, and without the help of the Sofitel it wouldn't have been as spectacular. I want to apologize if I forgot any names because everyone who assisted us, made the weekend so much better! Also, I do not want to forget to mention the wonderful room service was for the request that I made and being on time. I have stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels in Chicago, but I have never had such a satisfying experience with a hotel prior to staying here.
Thank you again.
-Amir

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amir S
minneapolis,
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We went to Chicago in 2007 and stayed at Hotel Sofitel Chicago Water Tower by chance as the Four Seasons Hotel (where we usually stay) was fully booked (we had a special corporate with them). We hoped it would be a pleasant experience but it turned out badly. The room we were given then was not good. We wrote the management then and the GM himself responded back to our surprise. He promised to make it right the next time we come back to Chicago. We recently booked a room with them for a trip to Chicago April 1-3, 2012 and found out that there is a new management. We were worried they will not honor the previous offer from the past GM. To our surprise and delight, the new GM and the staff, accommodated us. We did not just get a complimentary upgrade, but we were given a very good rate for a very nice room on the higher floors!.

Sofitel does know how to wow their guests. We will keep on coming back to Sofitel and we will recommend them to our family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floor and don't overlook a bad experience. Write the hotel directly and they...
1 Thank truthintraveling
New Jersey
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This review is a bit late. I usually have not done reviews for trips outside of destination travel. For some reason our trip to Chicago did not seem to merit a review, but heck, it was a destination wedding. We had stayed at the Sofitel in NYC and loved it so we were looking forward to being able to stay in another location.

Everything about the hotel was really nice. We had a great stay. We had a pretty good view. All things about the room were just as they were in NYC and we were very pleased with our time at the hotel.

Everything about our stay was great. They have a great outdoor space where our families could gather. Rooms where very nice, everything in fine order. The bathrooms are wonderful. Clean, without question. No issues. We stayed for three nights and had a very nice stay, indeed.

Since we were there for a wedding we did not utilize any of the facilities as we were quite busy with family. But I have to say, we were there while the hurricane hit the Northeast and all our flights out were cancelled. The hotel staff made all the arrangements for our car rentals. And that involed over 30 people. They did a wonderful job and made our issues with getting home as easy as it could be. They were able to find cars available for all of us to rent to ride home instead of staying an additional 4 nights until a return flight could be available.

The mother of the groom arranged a breakfast for guests of the wedding and it was very nice. Cannot say a negative thing about our time at this hotel. Same goes for our stay in NYC. What a brand!

The staff at the

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Sarnia, Ontario
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My wife along with my mother in law spent 2 nights at this hotel to experience St.Patricks Day in Chicago. This hotel is at a great location. We walked to all of our destinations such as Gibson's steakhouse and Lou malnatti's. Our one bedroom suite was spacious with great amenities such as Hermes toiletries. The sofa bed my mother in law slept on was comfortable as well the king bed. Staff were very friendly and took care of us.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Everything about this hotel was amazing! The beds were the most comfotable I have ever slept in. The lobby was gorgeous, modern and clean, yet incredibly stylish. The staff, from the front desk to the housekeeping people, were all so welcoming and eager to make us happy. I've never experienced anything like it. The location was perfect - on a relatively quiet corner but within easy walking distance of whatever you want. And the price was perfectly reasonable. I want to go back to Chicago just so I can stay here again.

Room Tip: It's such a cool building, I don' thtink there's a bad room , but higher floors are bett...