“New England comes to Chicago”

New England Seafood Company Fish Market
Cuisines: Seafood
Neighbourhood: Lake View
Neighbourhood: Lake View
Reviewed May 14, 2016

I remember when they stopped serving scrod for Saturday lunch at the Cape Cod Room in the Drake Hotel. I was heart-broken. But the good news is there are more and more New England-inspired seafood restaurants popping up in the Chicago area. One of our favorites is The New England Seafood Company Restaurant and Fish Market at 3341 North Lincoln Avenue. The Mazza family has brought its expertise from Boston Harbor to Chicago...fresh fish, soups, salads, sandwiches, everything from lobster bisque to lobster rolls to Maine Lobster to salmon, haddock, shrimp, mussels, sea scallops, swordfish, crab cakes, oysters, clams and calamari. If you're really hungry, ask about the hungry lobsterman boil, 15 pounds of lobster for four people. The prices couldn't be cheaper if you were catching the fish and preparing it yourself. How's this for lunch? A fried shrimp appetizer, a bowl of New England clam chowder, a deep fried cod sandwich and a slice of key lime pie. Wash it all down with a large glass of root beer. Maybe two glasses. All you need is a splash of salty sea breeze blowing in your face and you'll feel as if you're dining on the harbor in Gloucester.

Reviewed April 20, 2016

I am gluten free. In the past I have loved this restaurant because they had clams breaded in corn meal --the same as in Maine. Drove in Tuesday night from the suburbs. No clams. Never dreamt of calling. Ok. I've had lobster bisque there in the past. Now I'm told it's not gluten free. Huh? Change of recipe.? I was told however, that I could eat the oyster crackers since they were made with flour, not wheat! Cancelled the whole thing. Was told I could order anything off the chefs specials. Ok. Macaroni with lobster? Crab cakes made with bread crumbs? Had marvelous mussels. However , they're so confused, the put the toast into the plate of mussels. Then proceeded to,charge us for the lobster bisque.
On a good note, the mussels were probably the best we've ever had. My husband enjoyed his lobster roll. Looked wonderful. They have to get their act together before someone really gets ill.

1  Thank Helen H
Reviewed April 16, 2016 via mobile

It's a small and good seafood restaurant. We had clam chowder and lobster rolls, these tasted well. Next time will try to have some fish items from the menu.

Reviewed March 16, 2016

In a sparsely furnished fish market, New England Seafood Company provides table service in a compact space. The food is excellent, the service is efficient and congenial, and the prices are exceptional! A great little restaurant at a great price!

Reviewed March 15, 2016

I lived in Boston (Baaahston) for years and visited there frequently, so I'm fairly picky about New England seafood. But this place rocks! We had clam chowder, fried clams, and fish and chips at our table...all were excellent. Possibly the best friend clams I've had in years, including in the Boston area (fresh, juicy, not to oily, served piping hot)...well, should have been for $30! Wish they had a hoppy IPA on draft, but selection not so bad. About the only thing missing were Boston accents.