“Awesome value for the price paid”

Chicago Getaway Hostel
Cleveland, Ohio
“Awesome value for the price paid”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed at the Getaway Hostel because I needed a bed for one night only- I was in Chicago only for the weekend, so I wasn't going to spend much time in the hostel. This was my first experience with a hostel and I was thinking frat party, so I was very pleasantly surprised to see the diversity of the guests. It really felt like home. My bunkmates were considerate, the facilities were awesome, If I stayed there longer I would have been just as pleased. The breakfast is a continental so bring your own protein (you are allowed to cook there). They have on-site laundry facilities- nice. The wi-fi was a little spotty in the room just because there are probably too many guests competing for the bandwidth. They do have express station computers to use or simply take your computer to the tv room so you are close to the router. The room and bed were comfortable, the bathroom was clean, and the shower was large. I would recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Dear Skcorroh:

Thanks for the great review of your experience at Chicago Getaway Hostel! We strive to provide the best hostelling experience possible in the USA. We're a great hostel for the first time hostel guest as we are very boutique hotel oriented. We strive to have the atmosphere of a boutique hotel with the social experience of a hostel; and all at an affordable price.

We know there are a lot of lodging options in Chicago and look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Mat Meadows

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I honestly can't say anything negative about Chicago Getaway Hostel! The dorms and public areas were kept extremely clean. The hostel is located in a lovely neighbourhood and all attractions are easily accessible via the L. The staff were so helpful and friendly. I attended the pub crawl, the NYE party and the blues night. All nights were so fun and a great way to meet other people. I was impressed that the hostel made such an effort for their guests to socialise. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Dear Debora H:

It was great having you as a guest in our hostel! We're thrilled that you were able to partake in many of our social outings during the course of your stay. We strive to give guests the best possible experience- so thanks for sharing your feedback and spreading the word.

We hope to see you on your next visit from Scotland!

Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This was my first stay at a hostel, and my expectations were far exceeded. We stayed in a private room with full bath. Very clean and a really nice, very large shower. I loved the social environment of the dining area and the storage in the kitchen for food was very, very nice to have. I would certainly recommend this hostel to anyone looking to stay in a cute, nice neighborhood in Chicago. We were about 2-3 blocks away from plenty of restaurants, bars, and a grocery store and walked to the "L" station several times from the hostel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Aria M:

Thanks for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor for Chicago Getaway Hostel! We're glad we far exceeded your expectations and we strive to exceed every guests expectations while they stay at our hostel. We hope to extend our hospitality to you in the future, until then- Safe Travels!

Montreal
Reviewed 3 January 2012

now in my mid-thirties I thought I had had my fair share of hostels but in town with a good friend for a couple of nights we made our choice of accommodation mainly based on location and budget. great place, clean, comfortable and with very friendly service reminded me that hostels like this are still a great option when privacy and luxury are not a priority.

location is perfect, a short cab ride or an inexpensive metro pass to all Chicago's attractions it offers some unbelievable blues action only minute walk away.

Room Tip: There are a couple of large dorm rooms opposite the dining and recreational areas which might not su...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marco P
Greetings Marco P:

Thanks for sharing your feedback of your recent stay at Chicago Getaway Hostel! We're glad that you chose to stay here and consider us a great lodging option. We have worked very hard over the past two years to craft a great hostel with an exception staff to provide all guests with a remarkable experience.

We hope to see you hanging out in our great social areas again soon!

CALGARY
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I was only there for one night but I really enjoyed my time there. It's clean, modern, safe and trendy. Easy to get to, and close enough to downtown. Not for people looking to stay in the busy part of town but close enough that anyone would be happy with the location. There's free wireless, tons of options for room type, and cool people. I definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: I saved money by choosing a private room with the shared bathroom. For $20 I was happy to brush my...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Aloha Kira B:

Thanks for the great recommendation on our top-rated Chicago hostel! We're happy to have guests like you supporting hostelling in the USA. We look forward to seeing you during your next trip to Chicago!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2011

This was the best Hostel I have ever seen. It is in the nicest neighborhood of Chicago with beautiful buildings. The hostel is very, very clean and new. The entrance area is beautiful and well set up with high quality couches. The living room has a piano in it and while I was there they also set up a nice Christmas tree. The dining room is very light due to the big windows and it is also very clean. There is also a TV room and a nice balcony. The kitchen is well organized and literally cleaner than most dorm room kitchens and the staff cleaning is very nice and lovely. The free breakfast consists of nice bagels, cornflakes, fruit and coffee and was also very good. The room was beautiful and the shared bathrooms are nicely set up and well taken care off. We go bed sheets, t a blanket and also a towel. All in all I have to say that I wish all hostels could be like that! The staff was so much fun and it was more a hotel than a hostel. It might not be the cheapest hostel you can stay at but quality has it's price and if you want an amazing experience in Chicago - stay at the Getaway hostel!!

Room Tip: I had a double room with a friend. It was about 45 dollars a night (including tax) and it was a very...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear amy o:

Thanks for the stellar review of our hostel located in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood! We're glad you were able to experience everything that a hostel should be. We work hard to raise the bar everyday and look forward to re-welcoming you to our hostel again in the future.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

nitially I chose a place to stay in Chicago based on availability and proximity to the venue where the indie gig I wanted to attend took place. And I wasn't wrong. The check-in process was nice and easy, you don't have to pay for any extras, as in many other hostels (and you can still buy a padlock for the lockers). I stayed in for 2 nights in 2 different rooms (a roem on the 1st floor dorm and en-suite dorm in the basement), and they both were spacious and clean.

The hostel just went though renovation, and the spacious lobby also look very sharp. They have free computers and netbooks to use, and even free printers! The breakfast was great too: a selection of fruits, bagels and cereals. I was concerned about the fact that they allow alcohol in the hostel, but everyone was quite and polite and this policy caused absolutely no problems.

The common area has pool tables and a grand piano, and there was Radiohead playing in the lobby at all times creating a peaceful and intelligent atmosphere.

The area of Lincoln Park is hip and doesn't det empty at night like downtown, so it's probably the best area to stay if you want to see some real Chicago. Unfortunately, my visit was short and I couldn't experience any social activities organized by the hostel, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and spacious.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo