“Would stay there again” 4 of 5 bubbles

Chicago Getaway Hostel
Bolungarvík
“Would stay there again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We got there and were updated to our own private room! The free breakfast and wi-fi is a nice touch. Not alot going on for the under 21 guests that cant go to the pubcrawls.. A bit frim the trainstation into the city.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I stayed in the Getaway last summer for 8 nights & it was the best idea I had all summer. The breakfasts are brilliant catering for everyone, the planned nights out and trips around the city are A1 with an outing everyday on a weekly planner. Great atmosphere. The BBQ's are fun and its a very social hostel. Will be back all the way from Ireland!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a bathroom as the communal showers and toilets can be a few minutes away from the ro...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

The location is great and rooms are top notch. We had a large group over and after a long flight from Ireland (8 hours) and a 40 minute taxi ride from O'Hare we were all tired. The staff were friendly, got us checked in quick and were very helpful through out the stay.

The card system for doors is very good in the evenings you can only access the building and from common area to the rooms by card. So even when we landed back in late from a night out we had no issues getting back into the hostel. Just don't lose your card, it'll cost you 5 bucks and you won't get in. Lucky enough no one from our group lost one.

There are a number of bars with in walking distance and the table toppers at the lionshead were good value for money if you have a large group that like beer!

Lincoln Park & Lake Michigan are near by, if you don't mind walking and exploring the sites. The redline Fullerton stop for the 'L' to downtown is around a 7 min walk from the hostel which is very handy.

Breakfast in the morning was great and free!!! A selection of cereal, bagels, toast, fresh fruit & coffee!

When we were over there was a mini heat wave which is abnormal for March time in Chicago, which made the rooms pretty hot and hard to sleep at times! The Air conditioners don't normally go into the rooms until later in the year when it gets very hot and humid. But still I couldn't recommend this Hostel highly enough! We all had a great time in Chicago!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ardcrinn
Goiania, GO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Greatest common area possible and a very helpful and friendly staff.
Best services you could expect from a hostel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I organized a trip for a 18 piece luxembourgish wind band. I discovered the Getaway Hostel by chance when I was looking for a place to stay for my band.
And what you see on the website&great facebook page IS TRUE! It is even better! After a long transatlantic flight we arrived at the hostel, and I got for the first time in contact with the Team! I felt immediately at home, superfriendly&cool(and this was always the case!!)
The building itself is awesome, it is all modern&clean! The rooms itself are great, beds are clean and comfortable, airconditioning in the room was great, especially in august.
The card system for doors is great, in the evening you can only access the building/way to the rooms by card, which is important. As we had expensive instruments with us, we could leave them in our rooms , and explore Chicago!
The location of the hostel is great, just a few meters away from pubs&all you need to be happy! Lake Michigan is also near by as well as a CTA stop.¨
Breakfast in the morning was great! All you need, fresh fruits,good coffee & more!

All in all i was very very happy to have stayed at this place, especially because i did not know what was waiting for me & my group in Chicago, because i only knew the hostel from photos!

I will for sure return to the Getaway Hostel!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

The location is great, the decor and rooms are top notch - this is more a hotel than a hostel. The only drawback is that very fact. In a hostel you expect a bit more sharing, bit more queuing for the toaster, perhaps chatting with the new people who just got in and maybe take part in some drinking games there and then in the hostel. This isnt the case with the Getaway. Not as much interaction despite the common rooms, especially for a single traveller or couple from another country. There are posters advertising various events , but these inevitably take place in some sort of local bar, rather than in front of the tv.
Definitely worth going to though. Major tip - there is a brilliant little deli-shop that sells almost everything you can imagine. Try the chocolate dessert - blows your mind.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have stayed here twice already, but it has taken me some time to get on here and write a review. I am a business man, and I am always looking for a getaway any chance I can get. And also I am a single night-owl who loves to let loose every chance I can get.

In November of 2011, my friend me a glowing recommendation for this hostel, and to be honest I was not really sure about a hostel. But I gave it a try because I was really REALLY needing a couple of days away, and I couldn't afford much. But what I discovered when I walked in was beyond my wildest expectations! It was a very clean, organized, PROFESSIONAL, and friendly place. All four of these qualities are very important for me when it comes to any lodging, and most places have all but forgotten these concepts for the sake of higher profits. What this place does is attain to all those while the prices stay down, and I like that, especially in Chicago where everything is so expensive.

Another thing was the concept of sharing a room with six other people from different countries, which I will admit kind of petrified me at first, but making new friends was beyond easy to do and I got along real well, especially since the staff doesn't let a lot of wildness happen. A lot of the people I met became my drinking buddies that night... particularly since that night a darling lady took us all to a blues club, which brings me to the night owl part. I stayed there two nights, but they provide fun for all seven. Every night it's something. It's like the United Nations at the hostel but the nicest people are there. If you want to be alone, there are so many things to do surrounding the hostel and the staff is a bunch of know-it-alls when it comes to what to do in Chicago, to which I rejoiced. I WANT know-it-alls and not just some idiot in the front desk watching TV and responding to questions with "uh i dunno"

It was just as good as the first when I returned in January. And I also plan on coming back next month for St. Patrick's Day. And the staff will also know that this is the place I plan to stay every time I come to Chicago for one of my "getaways"... keep up the wonderful work and I shall see you all real soon!

Room Tip: bottom bunk... especially if your like me and like to keep with the ground, if you know what i mean
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo