All reviewsfull kitchenhome away from homegas grillandersonville neighborhoodwasher and dryersteam showerbedroom apartmentbar romagrocery deliveryprivate garagetraditional hotelwrigley fieldgreat neighborhoodpublic transportationa great place to stayfour nightswalking distance
Reviewed May 13, 2017 via mobile

The huge number of fans of The Guesthouse hotel in Chicago will not appreciate me saying it is not the #1 hotel in Chicago in my opinion. Though according to Trip Advisor it is, and so it stands

I thought it was very different, quirky, unusual.

The Guesthouse is located quite a way out of central Chicago is the Andersontown neighbourhood

Our trip was a mix of business and tourism and maybe wasn't ideally situated for us but I'm a big believer in Trip Advisor ratings and we opted to try the Guesthouse instead of the chains and downtown options

We had stayed at the Kimpton in Chicago previously and in hindsight that may have been a better bet for this trip

Anyway, people love The Guesthouse and I can see why, it just wasn't for us

The rooms are like your own apartment - ours had two bedrooms lovely wooden floors washer and drier, kitchen, balcony with a curious view over the cemetery across the street

There is no daily room cleaning - ample towels and sheets are provided but if you are staying a while keep this in mind

I'm not a big fan of taking out my own rubbish if I'm staying in a hotel, there were only two small bathroom bins in the room/apartment so we bought our own rubbish bags

There's no bar or restaurant or anything like that - it's just not that sort of place

The neighbourhood is mixed, interesting enough and seemingly partly gentrified but we went through some rough looking parts of Chicago on the way to the Guesthouse

The oven stove in our room gave off a definite whiff of gas but we just opened the patio balcony door to deal with this

It's quiet (I'm tempted to say as quiet as a grave being across from the cemetery) and interesting enough

We walked a lot around the area and it's a real mixed bag

Getting a taxi was not easy - sure I know everyone has Uber now but I choose not to.

I'm sure The Guesthouse will appeal to its legion of fans. A number #1 rating does not come by chance

It just wasn't for us

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Stephen H
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2017

Dear Stephen H

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. The feedback and comments are always appreciated. I’m disappointed we didn’t meet your expectations on your return visit to Chicago, but appreciate you venturing away from downtown to give us a try. We try our best to share as much about our property, location and neighborhood on our website allowing guests the opportunity to learn a bit more about our slice of Chicago. Historic St. Boniface cemetery across the street does offer interesting views and to your point, quiet neighbors; something well appreciated in a busy city. I wish we had known about your housekeeping concerns and the stove while you were with us as we would have certainly addressed this right away. I’m glad you enjoyed the spaciousness of your suite and took some time to explore Andersonville.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we have the opportunity to have you as our guest at another time.

Reviewed May 8, 2017

Could not understand why this Hotel has such high ranking. The pros: it's spacious and clean, as in the photos, and the beds are comfortable.

The cons: no housekeeping, no coffee/ tea (apart from one small bag of coffee for trial) as the other TA's comment, no safe deposit box (Front Receptionist said because there's no housekeeping, we wouldn't need one).

What bugged me most was that we were woken up at 6 am in the morning on our 2nd day of stay by heavy footsteps from someone living above us. The heavy footsteps lasted continuously for one whole hour! At 7 am, I decided to send the Hotel a email because there's no telephone in the Apartment. So, unless you have a local phone, you cannot call the Front Desk. The GM was quick to reply at 8 am apologizing and assuring us they'd follow up with this guest.

At 11:30 pm, the same heavy footstep reappeared for another 30 mins.

It was slightly better the following morning. We could still hear the footsteps, but at least they weren't so heavy and didn't last long enough to wake us up completely.

The Hotel is 30 mins from Magnificant Mile. Unless the extra space is that crucial, I will NOT recommend staying at this Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lraep
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2017

Dear Lraep,

Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us. Again, I do apologize for any issues that occurred while you were here. While we do our best to enforce our posted quiet hours, occasionally we do have guests who need reminding so everyone can enjoy a restful stay. I am so sorry these guests continued to cause a disturbance. Our front desk is available 24 hours a day and glad to help with any issues or requests including extra coffee, tea and other amenities you may need during your stay. I'm sorry we couldn't offer you a safe deposit box during your stay and we now have portable safes available upon request.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on this occasion and I hope we can welcome you back for another stay in the future.

Reviewed May 5, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here the night the cubs won the World Series. It was a good value for high quality lodgings. Staff were super friendly. Free coffee and nice areas to lounge in. Large room to hold meetings in. There was 2 of us but the suite was spacious and 4 could have stayed without feeling crowded.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paula K

Thanks Paula K! I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us! That certainly was an exciting time and glad we could add to the memory. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience. I look forward to welcoming you back soon! Go Cubbies!

Reviewed April 29, 2017 via mobile

I have some minor complaints- they don't tell you that they don't clean your room if you stay more than 1 night. This mostly bothered me because they dont restock the coffee and creamers. They didn't provide any tea as well. They have a full kitchen but don't provide coffee, cream or tea which every Holiday Inn has. Also, they don't provide a charging station for electronic devices in the room. I have gotten used to having when I travel.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Greta2753
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2017

Dear Greta2753,
Thanks for sharing your recent experience with us. We always appreciate the feedback and suggestions. We try our best to provide guests with lots of helpful information prior to arrival and include housekeeping options in our confirmation letter. I am sorry if there was any misunderstanding. Your suite should have been stocked with plenty of extra creamers, sugar and tea and I apologize if this was not the case during your stay. Our staff is available around the clock and always happy to provide guests with extra amenities when requested.
Thanks for suggesting charging stations. We're always interested in offering our guests helpful amenities and conveniences to enhance their stay.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we have the opportunity to have you as our guest once again.

Reviewed April 24, 2017

Such an amazing place to stay. Located in Andersonville, a great neighborhood by the way, with plenty of restaurants & cool shops. Stayed at Guesthouse as we were seeing a show at the Aragon Ballroom & the opening band stayed at our hotel! Staff very friendly; condo-style room very clean & super quiet. Parked our car in an actual residential style garage & we didn't have to worry about our vehicle's safety. Balcony has chairs & bbq grill but it was too cold to use it. Nearby store on same block has good meat should you choose to grill outside. Wish we could live there!!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank JulieHenryLindsey
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2017

Love this review! Thanks so much for taking time to share your experience with us! I am so glad you enjoyed your time and were able to take advantage of our wonderful neighborhood and amenities. Hopefully, the weather will be nicer next time so you can enjoy the balcony! Being so close to Aragon Ballroom and Riviera Theater has great advantages - you may even see your favorite musician walking our halls! Thanks for all the kind words and I hope we see you back again soon!