“NIce stay but noisy”

The Guesthouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 20 August 2017

We had a generally nice stay at the hotel. As others have said, if you really need the extra space, this is the trade-off of being further from the museums, tourist destinations etc. The Vietnamese community nearby had excellent restaurants. Having a washer/dryer is also great. The fitness center is very limited in its equipment and in a very small room--in case that is important to some. The staff was very attentive and responsive. I imagine that unless you stay on the top floor, the noise of upstairs neighbors walking above your unit is always an issue--it definitely disturbed our sleep. The walls are very thin. Our unit was also next to the elevator so the noise from that also kept us up. Check in at 4 and check out at 10 makes for an expensive and shortened night, however, they will store your luggage and housekeeping must really need the 6 hours to clean since the apartment was spotless. And, of course, being across the street from the Catholic cemetery might also be a deal breaker for some.

Room Tip: Top floor unit
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm delighted you discovered The Guesthouse Hotel and were able to enjoy our special part of Chicago! I am glad you enjoyed the amenities of your suite and found our team attentive and helpful. I'm sorry to hear your neighbors were noisy and disturbed what should have been a peaceful night for you. I hope we get the chance to make it up to you with another stay. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we see you again so we can earn that 5th star.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I love this hotel!!!!!!!! My husband, friends, and their children arrived as last-minute refugees from a disastrous Airbnb fail, and the minute we walked into the lobby and were greeted so warmly at reception, we all let out a huge sigh of relief. So first things first, I always like to say something about the area that a hotel is in because location is important. I like to walk everywhere so safety and convenience are important. The hotel is in a fantastic location, walking distance to many amazing places to eat and drink in a wide range of price-points, from very affordable family-run amazing Mexican food, to fancy spots with intriguing menus. The L is walking distance. The hotel has covered parking.

We were four adults an active toddler and a baby, and got a two bedroom apartment style place with very comfortable furniture, full modern kitchen a large master suite and a good size second bedroom with shared bath. A couple of cozy chairs and a big comfy couch allowed all of us to be comfortable hanging out in the evening playing with the kids after dinner. The hotel provided a pack and play, and even had a collection of baby needs, from spoons to sippy cups etc. somehow everything was magically childproofed. If we had made a wish list of our unique and diverse wishes for a hotel, The Guesthouse had already thought of everything plus a few things we didn't know we needed until we needed them.

Although the hotel was perfect for our needs traveling with littles, I would happily stay here again the next time I'm in Chicago, for any occasion. They've managed to perfectly bridge the gap between comfort and luxury and I can't really recommend The Guesthouse Hotel highly enough. From service, (above and beyond) to comfort (luxury features that are cozy at the core), this place approaches perfection. It doesn't have a swimming pool though. But it's just as well because TripAdvisor doesn't have a 10 star option. ;-)

Stayed: October 2016
1  Thank Siobhan D
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thanks Siobhan D! I really appreciate all the kind words and so glad you enjoyed everything! There's nothing worse than making plans to get away and your accommodations end up being "disastrous." We're delighted we could come to the rescue! Thanks for taking time to mention all the details in your suite and the service you received from our team. We work hard to make our guests feel special and hopefully exceed expectations. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon! While we can't offer a dip in the pool, Lake Michigan is just a mile away! :-)

Reviewed 7 August 2017

We stayed here in July, 2017, and it was a perfect place for us. Close enough to walk restaurants, transportation, the beach, and our son's apartment. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean, the kitchen was a bonus. We will come back to stay here again and recommend to anyone looking for a place near Andersonville, Wolcott or Ravenswood neighborhoods

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Thanks for this wonderful review! We are so happy you discovered The Guesthouse Hotel and enjoyed your stay! I am glad you found our staff helpful and enjoyed the amenities in your suite including the kitchen. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 20 July 2017

I had the privilege of staying here early this week and found this place to be extraordinary. The condo/hotel room was immaculate, tastefully decorated, stylish and elegant. When you enter the lobby you are greeted by a very friendly and hospitable staff whose main goal is to insure your comfort. We had a spacious 2 bedroom with separate bathrooms. The stainless steel appliances, coffee maker and fully stocked kitchen were convenient for us if we decided to have meals in our room. The patio also has a gas grille and there are grocery stores in walking distance. The staff prides themselves on using locals for the snacks and products and all the toiletries were hand made. The view from the loft was amazing! Rick and your team thank you for the hospitality! We will be back very soon!

Room Tip: Try the 2 bedrooms if you like more space. Bring your dog along because they are pet friendly!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kandis H
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Thank you for the wonderful review, Kandis H! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate all the kind words. We try our best to give our guests a taste of Chicago from a local point of view with our location, snacks and amenities. We're fortunate to be in a city with very talented vendors and I am so glad you enjoyed these local touches. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Looking at the other reviews, we heartily concur - had never been to this part of Chicago before and were looking for a place close to an event we were attending, which was mostly the basis of our choice. But having stayed there, we would choose to go back no matter where we were headed in Chicago. It is beautiful inside, we were upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite that was spacious, well-appointed and really had everything you could want (or if not, could get from the attentive staff). The neighborhood is a few blocks off from the nicest part of N. Clark, but don't let that put you off from a truly special experience.

Room Tip: We highly recommend the suites
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

Thank you so much Mary Ann L! We are thrilled to hear we delivered a 5-star experience!
I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us and were able to discover a new part of Chicago. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2017

This hotel is just like having your own pied a terre in a different city. It is clean, inviting and has an incredible roof deck. Close enough to the city that it's convenient, but far enough away that you're not overwhelmed. GM Rick and his staff are incredibly gracious and helpful. I wish I knew that a Weber grill was available on the deck of my room rather than ordering from Seamless!

I will absolutely, positively be back to this gem of a property as soon as I can!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2017

Thanks for this incredible review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and discovered a new part of Chicago to call home when visiting! I am blessed to have a great team and so happy they took good care of you. I look forward to welcoming you back soon...your Weber grill awaits!

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

We just returned from a four night stay at The Guesthouse. After staying at multiple places downtown while visiting family in Ravenswood, we were very pleased with The Guesthouse's location - particularly easy access to the vibrant Andersonville neighborhood. The rooms are enormous, well-appointed two bed suites including spacious balconies with grills and fully stocked kitchens and a more than adequate living area.

The Guesthouse is particularly suited for families. The staff was very cordial & accommodating.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Rick_Verkler, General Manager at The Guesthouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I am glad you discovered us and found
it to be a convenient place to call home when visiting your family in the neighborhood. I'm happy you enjoyed the amenities of your suite and that our staff took good care of you and your family. Thanks for taking time to post this review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the neighborhood soon!