“Late dinner for 7 was fantastic!”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #572 of 9,835 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Corner of Superior and State Street.
Transit: EL train stop 1 block north at Chicago and State.
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I split the appetizer canoe, he had the wagyu steak, and I had the pork belly appetizer, then we shared the pineapple upside down cake. The steak was the best we've ever had, the canoe was a great way to try a bunch of different things, and the pork belly was divine! The service could have been faster, but I'm betting our server was exhausted by the time we came in (10:00pm) on Saturday night of restaurant week. Everyone at our table was delighted with our meal, and as a regular of Roy's in Waikiki, I would say it is as good as it can get this far from Hawaii!

Reviewed 14 February 2012

The sushi roll Ahi Tuna appetizer was best we have had, ever. Went downhill quickly with the beet salad. A waste of time, way over priced, no flavor.

The fish entries were all very good, nicely cooked, good portion sizes.

The pineapple upside down cake dessert was only average, while the accompanying coconut ice cream was very good, although we would have liked a bit more coconut flavor.

Service was good, not overly attentive, but no lapses.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

One of our favorite spots in the city, terrific Hawaiian fusion type restaurant with a totally unique drink menu, good wine selection, and amazingly fresh seafood. no bad choices, I think I've had everything they serve and no complaints yet. Reasonably priced for Chicago. You will not regret this one. Chocolate souffle is a must.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

My husband and I took visiting family to Roy's in downtown Chicago based upon word of mouth recommendations from colleagues. Everyone raved about this restaurant - how fresh the fish is, the edamame starter, and the unique flavor profiles. Usually we only take family to places we have "pre-vetted" ourselves, but with all the great compliments the restaurant received, we figured there was no way this was a strike out.

We arrived fairly early (~30 minutes) for our reservation and the hostess and waiters did not hesitate to offer us a seating immediately. Really the service was fantastic, and we settled into our table by large windows ready to peruse the menu.

In the meantime, we ordered drinks - they were excellent, but please keep in mind that each glass of wine and each mixed drink started at ~$12-15 each which is expensive (even for Chicago). If each person has even one at this price tag, you are already at ~$60 just for drinks on a party of 4.

I do still think about the edamame, however, with the mix of spices and fresh crunch of the pods as they popped into my mouth. The restaurant serves this dish as a "nut bowl" / bread bowl while you look over the menus. I was fascinated and enthralled with the starter and in my opinion, it was the best thing I had at the table. It did not take very long to polish off the bowl.

Thinking we were off to a great start, we ordered an appetizer featuring a lobster dumpling and truffle oil thinking that they would provide at least one dumpling per individual at the table (standard practice for appetizers usually). We had one (I'm serious) dumpling for four people and it was small (maybe 4 in in diameter). Honestly I can say that it was delicious, but it was ~$15; for one dumpling!

The waiter then ran through the specials and since the restaurant is known for fish, I ordered the fresh fish of the day. It was served with polenta and fresh green beans and overall I liked the dish, but it didn't blow me away. My husband ordered a steak and it was very good (probably a bit better than my fish), but it really didn't have much by way of sides. My mother had a seafood rissotto type dish and it was good, but very rich. Finally, my poor father, ordered a trio of fish which sounded from the description to have at least a 4-6 oz proportion of each fish with sides so when the price tag said ~$35, it seemed worth it. Not at all - every beautiful piece of fish was maybe (and again, I'm not exagerating) 2-oz at best and coated in sauce. It was fresh fish, why do you need sauce? Oh, that part wasn't in the menu (or described to us by the waiter) either.

Needless to say, I felt awful about the total price tag of the meal ( I say this having had a $50 coupon...) and the fact that several of us due to portion sizes left this restaurant hungry. I was incredibly dissapointed with the experience in total because of this - I don't mind paying for an excellent meal that has value, but I do mind overpaying for an experience and that's just what you will do at Roy's. Chicago is full of extraordinary restaurants - don't make our mistake and visit this exorbitant disappointment

1  Thank jmeleeS
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We enjoyed a nice meal on New Years Eve at Roys. It was an expensive meal and we wanted to relax and enjoy a little more time here savoring our food/wine and enjoying our night out. We prefer food to arrive at a slower pace and a nice interval between courses. The steak seemed to be the highlight entree of the table! It was excellent! The tuna was good but not superb in flavor. The mahi mahi was excellent in flavor and I would guess to say one of their best entrees?! Not sure we would go back, considering there are many fine restaurants in Chicago.

1  Thank HoosierGirl522