“Pho is Amazing”
Review of Le Colonial

Le Colonial
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Colonial is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 10,732 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: French, Vietnamese
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Oak
Transit: Chicago El & Bus Route 22,36,151,156
Description: Le Colonial Is Celebrating 15 Years In Chicago’s Gold Coast Area On Rush Street. This Noted Up-scale French-vietnamese Restaurant Transports Guests To Another Time And Place, Vividly Recapturing The Beauty, Romance And Spirit Of 1920’s French Colonial Southeast Asia. The Second-floor Main Bar, Lounge, And Terrace Are Adorned With Plush Couches, Woven Rattan Chairs, And Potted Palms. Black And White Photos Of Turn Of The Century Life In Saigon Set The Stage For Your Next Event."le Colonial Is An Escapist's Paradise, A Cleverly Crafted Re-creation Of The Civilized Yet Exotic World Of French Indochina. Here In Its Tony Oak Street Environs, Le Colonial Has One Of The Loveliest Dining Rooms In The City -- And The Second Floor Lounge Is A Sultry, Seductive Cocktail Destination.”
Reviewed August 18, 2016

We enjoyed our visit to Le Colonial, which was just around the corner from our hotel (the wonderful Talbott Hotel) on a recent visit for work in August. The vibe downstairs is very classy but not pretentious, and a family with young children sat next to us toward the end of our meal. The wine list is not overly large but has some nice offerings by the glass with a few French wines given its French Indochina focus. The list of appetizers presented a difficult choice, but the soup/salad was easy - it was going to be the Pho all along. And it did not disappoint. The broth is very tasty, and with a few sauces on the side you can turn up the heat a bit. The beef is good and it was much more filling than you might expect - and only $8. I enjoyed a chicken dish with garlic sauce and chilis for dinner, and that was excellent but I was probably too full after the Pho honestly. The service was attentive without being obtrusive. Ambiance upstairs is a more lounge like, but there is also some outdoor seating that looks very inviting. I would certainly recommend this to anyone, especially if you're looking for a fantastic Pho experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed August 17, 2016 via mobile

We decided to treat ourselves for our last night in the city. The place has a vegan menu and the selection is large enough to be content. Amazing service, great cocktails, really fresh food. A little jump in the past for a very pleasant time. Great atmosphere.

Reviewed August 11, 2016 via mobile

The ambiance of Le Colonial lends itself well to the summer heat. You feel transported to Vietnam of by gone times. The decor the big leafy plants all contribute to setting a cool vibe. And then there is the food. It is elegant family style. Plenty to share. A most delicious shrimp curry with Jasmine rice was a highlight

Reviewed August 6, 2016 via mobile

We had an exceptional experience at this restaurant. It was recommended to us by my husband's coworker. We are so glad we took a chance on it. Service was incredible and very attentive. The food is the highlight of our experience. I can't believe how flavorful the Pho broth was. I have had a lot of Pho in my life but this broth was the best by far. Everything we had was delicious. Creme brûlée was exquisite. I can't wait to go back to Chicago so I can visit this restaurant again.

Reviewed August 6, 2016

Le Colonial has been around for many many years, which is why you don't often see it on the "Best's" Lists that seem to be published nearly daily . . . But it SHOULD be! From service to atmosphere to the amazing food, this is one of the BEST restaurants in the city. Hands down. The atmosphere feels like it should be fine dining, but it's not. It's an amazing mash-up of vietnamese and french and pure delight on a plate. The servers are friendly and knowledgable and the entire experience is warm and welcoming. I LOVE THIS PLACE! The ONLY problem is that I could never possibly eat all of the wonderful things I want to order. That's ok . . . just one more reason to return again soon.

2  Thank adgirl82