“Good Airport Food at O'Hare”
Review of Berghoff Cafe

Berghoff Cafe
Ranked #642 of 10,258 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed April 4, 2018

The term "Good Airport Food" is often an oxymoron; especially when you want good and fast food for a tight flight boarding.

Therefore, when I give a numerical Trip Advisor rating to an airport take-out stand I give the restaurant the benefit of an upward rating if they're reasonably good. An average restaurant in town becomes a very good one at an airport if there is anything they do to set them apart. The Berghoff Cafe was one of those establishments that tried just a little harder...and it showed. Hence, my Very Good rating.

My business colleague and I had just 10 minutes before boarding our United flight to Florida. I had no expectation of finding anything substantial on the plane. So, I suggested that we use the restroom and then join the take-out line we saw at the front of the Berghoff Cafe...about 200 feet from our gate.

I was pretty impressed by the Berghoff's business set-up. There were prepared samples of a whole assortment of sandwiches on the top of an eye-level counter. Some were Chicago-style favorites like Bratworst. They also offered pizza to go and some bar-food specialties like wraps and quesadillas. The sandwiches were custom made. You gave your order to a heads-up guy behind the counter. If it was a sandwich he made it to order, asking you the toppings you wanted.

On other items like salads and pizzas the order taker/sandwich chef called the customer order into the back. It looked like most food was ready when we moved about 10 feet away to the cash register.

My associate, Tiffany, ordered a Chicken Quesadilla. She ate it on the plane. Tiffany felt her quesadilla was OK but not great.

I had an excellent Chicken Caesar Salad. The lettuce was crispy and both the croutons and salad dressing were in separate plastic containers, so the salad toppings were not soggy. Large strips of excellently prepared chicken were on top of the salad, as was an aesthetic sprinkling of mixed, grated cheeses. I'd rate my salad very good by conventional standards and excellent coming from an airport take-out location.

The staff was friendly and competent. On my swiping a credit card they visually asked on the small screen if I wanted to place a tip...which I did.

My compliments go to the management and staff at the Berghoff. I'm only sorry we didn't have the time to sit down and have a more regular meal.

Reviewed March 1, 2018 via mobile

Great sandwiches in O'Hare Terminal 1 near Gate C26. This was my third Reuben sandwich in the last 5 days and it was the best! The corned beef was exceptionally good. It's small and lacks ambiance but it serves alcohol and good food. It's much better than typical airport fare.

Reviewed February 25, 2018 via mobile

I have many fond memories of the original Berghoff restaurant in downtown chicago in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. A visit to Berghoff Cafe is an embarrasment to that fine reputation. We have been to the cafe twice in the past 30 days. They have guys on display carving various meats but everything we ordere comes from the Back Room! The food we got was pretty much overpriced crap. I gyess you have to be royalty or an Illinois politician to actually get a sandwich that you saw the guy carve. Save yourself some money, go somewhere else, and let the Berghoff name fade with some dignity.

Reviewed February 17, 2018

This is one of my favorite places to eat at ORD. Custom made sandwiches just the way I like them. Larger portions, priced fairly also. This time I had corned beef on rye with cheese, they warm the corned beef anyway and then put the sandwich in a pannini maker to melt the cheese. It comes out just right.

The line to order is efficient and service is friendly but they are always very busy.

Lots of places to sit on the food side and then also on the bar side. Well worth seeking out. I have only been pleased with my many meals there over the years and most recently last week.

Reviewed February 1, 2018

We got to the airport early and looked around for a semi-nice restaurant where we could sit down to eat dinner. This place had seating, but it was full, and it stayed that way. It's mostly a place where you stand in line and order - sandwiches, fries, salads, etc. The sandwiches looked good, my Black Forest ham was nothing special at $9.20, a la carte. But the fries were only $2.40, so that clinched it for me. But try to get them? The sandwich is ready when you reach the cashier,, but you have to wait for the fries. When it was my turn, they gave my fries to someone else, but it was someone travelling with me, so I didn't mind much. Until 10 minutes later when the next order of fries came up, and they gave those to someone else,too. Won't be going back to this place.

Been to Berghoff Cafe? Share your experiences!