“rotten food in a dirty place”
Review of Sultan's Market

Sultan's Market
Ranked #734 of 9,525 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Description: Located in Wicker Park, Sultan's Market offers a variety of fresh Middle Eastern cuisine. Since 1995, we've been cooking up Chicago's best falafel. If it's not our falafel, it's freakin' awful.
Rome, Italy
“rotten food in a dirty place”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

went to this place for a quick bite with a friend. the idea and the variety of food were notable, but food itself was cold or rotten and the tables were dirty. the only eatable food were the felafel, but I had better ones in my life.

• Visited December 2011

Chicago, Illinois
“Some Stuff Great, Some Stuff Terrible”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Sultan's Market is the definition of hit or miss. Their sandwiches are cheap and awesome. I'm not a falafel fan, it's almost always too dry or greasy, but I've had the falafel sandwich more times than I can remember at Sultan's. It's just great. It's also kinda healthy, filling dinner for under $5. Ask for the spicy salsa and you'll really get a kick out of it. The chicken shawarma sandwich is really good too. They're both served in a pita pocket with some veggies and stuff (Jerusalem Salad, tahini, I think hummus, etc.). The pita can break apart because of the liquid in there, so be careful, but I still think it's worth it.

Now, if you get a normal meal there, like a normal chicken shawarma dish, then you're in for one of the worst meals of your life. How is this possible? I mean the same meat goes in the sandwich as goes into the dish. Yes, but in the dish, there's no real sauce or anything else decent to dress it up. The rice is bland, and, just ugh. I wish I could explain it better, I really do, but I can't, so, just trust me. For your own sake, trust me.

• Visited December 2010
Chicago, Illinois
“Must Try!”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I have been to Sultan's numerous times and have probably tried everything on the menu. Fabulous! The falafal is never a disappointment. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable; I have even met the owner May! The prices are outrageously cheap and the portions are big. Highly recommended!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank ANG1028
wheeling
“Have to try!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 28 October 2009

This restaurant is small and sometimes you have to wait in long line...but it is worth to wait and taste the best Falafel ever!!

2 Thank olapot
Orlando, Florida
“Super tasty falafel”
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Stopped in for a quick bite while in the area and really enjoyed my falafel...spiced just right and perfectly cooked. Had they been open while I was taking the Blue Line back to O'Hare I would have went out of my way to stop off at Damen to grab another for the flight home. It was that good!

1 Thank dbsweet