“Great location!!”

Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Ranked #134 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
“Great location!!”
Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

Yes its true the hotel is a little old and outdated. But great staff, good price, and awesome awesome location. Just minutes from millinum park and the red line train. Deff reccomend!!!!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Turkish first
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My title really states it all, but I can't emphasize enough how rude the front desk was. For that reason alone, I will never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank JoshBaskin

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed here for a 2 nights. This was not a very pleasant hotel to stay at. Got a room with a double bed that was very dirty at the end of the hall by the fire exit. Elevators had a bad smell and were very slow, and one of them always seemed to be out of service. I also found the staff to be rude and inattentive.

In my opinion, the only thing it has going for it is the location. I would not stay here again, and would not recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Worldtraveller3654
Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed here with may aunt when we went to visit my brother in Cincinnati (cheaper to fly to Chicago and bus down to Cincy...go fig) in Sept of '10. Anyway we were visiting Chicago and picked this place for it's location to things and price. We got a good deal on a three night stay and I think I know why. This is an older building which seems to not have been updated for quite a while. The front desk was helpful in terms of addressing our concerns. Our first room was basic however it wreaked of cigarette smoke. Though the rooms are non-smoking it seems all the years of smoking are now embedded in the walls, ceiling, and carpet. We asked for another room which they did find for us. We got a slightly larger room with a kitchenette. The bathroom was nice and large since we got a handicap accessible room (this was good for my aunt). Though basic it was a nice step up from the first room.

The room contained 2 full sized beds which were OK, nothing special about them. Though the room was large it was facing the street so it was noisy at night till about 1am or so. after that it was OK. The AC was old and noisy so it did help drown out some of the noise but of you don't want any noise this may not be the place for you. I wold say around a 2 star hotel and that incudes the location as a plus. It is situated between the happenings of Magnificent Mile and the large number of museums towards the southern end of town. There is also a Red Line stop a couple of blocks away for getting around.

There are other hotels in the area which may be nicer and perhaps only slightly more so do our homework and compare for your intended travel dates and you could be in for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Get room away from street.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Beenaround73
Manhattan, New York, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We usually make the Travelodge our first stay whenever we want to be in The City. It's inexpensive and located across the street from Grant Park, and within walking distance of The Chicago Museum of Art, The Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium. The Red Line Harrison Station is only two blocks away. Our first room was small and dusty. We were happily upgraded to a larger double kitchenette at no extra cost! It's not fancy, yet you do get just a bit more for your buck. The free WiFi , location just off Michigan Avenue, access to food stores, and public transportation, are major bonuses. If push comes to shove there are better hotels right across the street!

Room Tip: Book well in advance online and negotiate an upgrade if not happy with your reservation. Have a back...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StvnWllms
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2012

As my first visit to Chicago and being a poor college student...I resorted to this hotel. If only I knew..I would have paid 1 million more dollars to go anywhere else. A park bench is cleaner and more safe. I got scabies (not knowing) thinking I just had a temporary itch...It turned into a 5 month HORROR FEAST of itching. EXCRUCIATING. DON'T GO HERE. I AM SERIOUS. YOU WILL GET SOMETHING..IF NOT SCABIES..BED BUGS..OR SOME DISEASE.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank bluexessence
atlanta
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. Dirty, 20 years overdue for remodeling, small room, poor service and elevator ride was a scarey experience. They initially checked me into a room with someone else in it and as I waited at the front desk to get a new room there were several other guests behind me that had the same issue.

The shower was coated in someone elses hair and the chair in the room looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 10 years. Old single pain windows on cold windy Chicago night didn't make for a good nights sleep.

I asked for an iron to be delived to my room three times and it never came.

Would recommend staying anywhere else but here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business