“Business Trip - return visit was just as pleasant as last year”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #86 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Great Hotel..stayed for conference. Comfy beds..awesome customer service. I forgot my toothbrush so they gave me one at the desk. Ate at the restaurant that is in the lobby Oseteria Via Stato, and it was really good italian food. Would stay again in a heartbeat. Location was central to everything.

Room Tip: Stay a little farther from elevators, they can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown

Reviewed 28 March 2012

This is the third time my family has stayed at this Embassy Suites. Usually, this one is full or the price is through the roof, so we stay at either the Embassy Suites Downtown Lakefront, which is also very nice or the Homewood Suites, which isn't as nice, but is also a good hotel. At Embassy Suites Downtown, the people that work there are what stands out with me. From the parking attendant that takes your car in their underground parking at the hotel, to the person that checks you in, you feel like you are truly on a vacation. For this trip, it was just my teen and myself, visiting Chicago to go to the Field Museum, to do some shopping at Water Tower Place and to eat at The Purple Pig. Please read my reviews for the Field Museum and The Purple Pig, if you are interested in going to those places. The Manager's Reception seemed very nice. We had just had supper, so just stopped on the way to our room and grabbed a beer, soda and some chips. We relaxed in the living room area of the large suite and watched tv that evening. We were pretty tired, after walking everywhere, but the location of this hotel is wonderful for walking. Lots of cool shops and you're only a few blocks from Michigan Ave to the East and Hard Rock/ Rainforest Cafe to the West. If you're a good walker, you could even walk to the Theater District. On the second day, we were treated to a nice made to order omelet. The worker taking our order was very funny and we had a fun time joking with him, while waiting in line for our omelet. You also had your choice of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, fruit, cereal, breads, yogurt and a variety of drinks. The coffee could of been better, but otherwise we were very happy. We were checking out that day, but you are allowed to leave your car there until 3:00, which I highly suggest, since parking downtown is very expensive. I had injured my foot, so asked if we should take the car to go to Water Tower Place and find parking there and they told me to take a taxi. It would be cheaper and they were right. They got us a taxi and it cost $5.45 and about the same on the way back. If I hadn't hurt my foot, we would of walked there, as it's only about 7 or 8 blocks. We didn't use the pool, but my teen remembered that it was small and really wasn't interested in sharing a small pool with little kids. We did the parking package and I figured that we saved almost $10 dollars doing that, so definitely look at the packages that they offer.

Room Tip: We've never had a bad room here. This time we were on the 11th floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lislcat
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Overall, it's not a bad hotel, at all. I probably wouldn't stay here again because the usual price is way out of my price range (I got what I thought was an excellent deal, only to find out it was wrong - it's being rectified and isn't really the hotel's fault), especially compared to other hotels in the area that are in the same price range. Here's the low-down on my stay:

Check In:
Loud, crazy, chaotic, take your pick. I could barely hear the person across the counter from me, now whether that was because he was soft spoken or because of the poor acoustics in the lobby allowing chatter and the sound of the fountain drown him out, I'm not sure, but if nothing else, it was poor planning. Speaking of the guy (Jose) at check in, he was unable to help with my questions and kept talking in circles. I eventually gave up because I was exhausted and had a headache and was annoyed, so I can't speak to the competence of the other staff.

My Suite:
I was on the 8th floor with an adjoining room to another family. At first when I got to the room, there was some rustling of the adjoining doors, but I didn't think much of it since I heard young children on the other side of the door. In the living room there's not much in the way of sound proofing, but the bedroom it is fine. I think the adjoining doors have a lot to do with that.

I'll cover the cons/downsides of the hotel/suite first. The a/c controls were weird - as far as I could tell, there is no a/c in room, only a fan. I had it all turned on and set low enough that it should have kicked on, but nothing happened. Luckily it was cool enough outside, I just left the window open the whole time and I was fine. Speaking of the window, it did open, only a few inches, but there was no screen whatsoever! I realize no human could fit through that opening, but still, it was unsettling, even on the 8th floor. The TV remotes in both the living room and the bed room were very worn out and were very slow to respond to button pushing. The cable was ok, but the PPV movies were priced ridiculously high (granted, this was the first time I've ever even looked at the prices at a hotel, so for all I know, $13.99-17.99 is normal in a hotel). The last major con about this hotel is the price for internet access: $9.99/device/24 hours. Luckily, there is also a Starbucks in the building that has free Wi-Fi; I just relied on my Android phone while I was there, because I didn't want to lug my laptop down to Starbucks just to check my email.

The pros/upsides: the bed was super comfortable! I had a king suite and there were easily 6 or 7 super soft pillows, plenty for lonely old me. The location is excellent, as well. Across the street is a grocery store (Jewel-Osco), the Red Line is in the next block south, and there are so many restaurants within walking distance, I don't think I could count. There are also several major chain stores (and independent stores) in the area, as well. The hotel offers free, made-to-order breakfasts from 6:30-9:30am during the week (til 10:30am on the weekends and holidays) and a Manager's Reception (free appetizers and drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) nightly from 5:30-7:30pm, but I didn't end up going to either (the breakfast was much too early, and I was out during the reception in the evenings).

Overall, this hotel served its purpose for me: to relax. Like I said before, I would likely not stay here again, as there are other hotels in the area that are a smidge nicer and cost about the same.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank angerandhope
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Arrived after a long flight from Scotland,checked in effortless and given suite 716,and to my amazement how big it was,the kingsize bed was huge,the suite had two 40inch lcd televisions one in the bedroom which was great, bathroom was also a good size.Breakfast was superb buffet style or made to order omelettes, the free bar at night was a great bonus 5.30 to 7.30 we had some great cocktails it was very busy tho as we were there for St Patricks and the hotel was very busy.the hotel is in a great location just cant be beaten for value cant wait to go back next year well done embassy 5 stars.

Room Tip: 716 had no noise
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We had two rooms for six nights over spring break. It was great to have the extra space of the suites. The location of the hotel is wonderful - we walked almost everywhere: The museums, Magnificent Mile, dozens and dozens of restaurants, Rush Street, the Hanckock Center, etc. All the staff at the hotel are great and very friendly. It was great to have a door man to catch cabs for us when needed - sometimes it was not an easy task. Also, they kindly let us have a 1pm checkout for both our rooms - a big help since our train didn't leave until 2 p.m.

The breakfast was good - they happily made egg white omelets for us, which was nice. The first day, St. Patricks Day, was impossibly crowded, but after that we never really had to wait. The only complaint about breakfast is the limited hours. My teenaged kids were sad to see breakfast had already closed when they went down at 9:40 one morning.

The manager's reception is typical - a few munchies and free drinks. The lines weren't too bad for that either. The atrium was really beautiful and was a great place to sit and people watch any time of day.

We were on the 7th floor and could still hear honking and sirens at night. My daughter slept in the living room and could hear noise from the atrium most of the night. Maybe a higher floor would have been a little better. But the beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The cleaning people constantly came around 4:00 p.m. which was annoying. We'd be out walking around all day, and come back exhausted wanting a shower, and that's when they would arrive.

The pool was quite small as other reviewers have said. With so many families at the hotel, it seems the pool should be bigger, and maybe have a deep end. The fitness room, too, was very small. At 7:30 am on weekdays, we would have to wait for a machine. But the machines were nice, and all in working order, which was great.

Overall, the hotel shined in all the most important ways - it was clean, very friendly, spacious, and extremely well located. In six nights, we all fell in love with the City! I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone traveling in Chicago.

Room Tip: I would say as high a floor as you can get, to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed 22 March 2012

always good here. only complaint is the start time of breakfast on weekends. not customer friendly.

Room Tip: high floor for quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We enjoyed our stay., The suite was very comfortable for two adults. This is a great hotel for families with its very large breakfast and its reception/happy hour in the evening with snacks and drinks.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple