“Great Hotel”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #67 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Huge rooms with a huge bathroom, great view and great helpful staff.

Room Tip: Nice view of the river but you have to ask for it.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Was visiting Chicago on business and was lucky enough to find a room at this amazing hotel. I had a great view overlooking the river and the city. The entire staff from the front desk to the restaurant crew was cheerful and helpful. The room was really large, and the bathroom was large as well. I believe this was a standard room, so I am sure it only gets better from here!

Room Tip: Hotel has plenty of umbrella's for when it rains!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Slowco
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I took my boyfriend to Chicago for 4 nights to see a concert and Bulls game as a birthday present. Let me start by saying that my boyfriend is a huge Batman (especially the new Christian Bale movies) fan and I knew the Dark Knight was filmed in Chicago. So I researched filming locations, and ended up learning that Bruce Wayne's penthouse in the movie is the penthouse of Hotel 71. After reading more about the hotel, it seemed to also be a great choice in terms of location and value. I originally booked a Deluxe River King View room but when we arrived, the concierge asked if we wanted to upgrade to a Premier River King View (where we would be on the high floors) for $80 more. I'm a sucker for a good view, so I agreed and we upgraded. I'm glad we did because there can't be a more perfect view of Chicago's downtown. The only thing I have to say is the room still was very small, which I thought was weird because we upgraded to one of the most expensive rooms besides the penthouse. But we were in Chicago to sight-see so we didn't plan on spending too much time in the room anyway.
Everyone at the hotel was very nice and accommodating. I asked concierge if it would be possible for us to go up to the penthouse floor because my boyfriend was such a fan of the movie. He set something up for us later in the day when hotel security was available to escort us upstairs for a brief tour. Out of everything I planned for the few days, I think that was my boyfriend's favorite part of the trip and I am very thankful to the hotel staff for making that happen for us.
Overall, the hotel is in a great location, has great views of Chicago, and a very friendly, accommodating staff at a reasonable price. When we return to Chicago, we plan at staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gina N
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We were in Chicago for a large convention and looking for something more reasonable than the large hotels by the convention center. Hotel 71 was a good location and within walking distance of restaurants and shopping and convenient to the L. It was a short cab ride to the convention center (about $10 each way) but with the difference in room charge (compared to near the convention center) that was reasonable and we still came out ahead.
Our room was on the less expensive City view side but was quiet, spacious and comfortable in all respects. There were two large comfortable chairs and a large desk. The front desk was always friendly and helpful. There was an empty space in the bureau for a refrigerator and that is the only thing I'd like to see added to the room. I definitely plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NMPate
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed here for a few nights throughtout the week. It was a great location. We had a nice river view. Our rooms were spacious. There is a nice coffee shop around the corner where we had our breakfasts. We were here to enjoy the city, we didn't spend much time in the room. It was quiet in the room, we didn't hear our neighbors.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank akunkel96
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We arrived and were checked in swiftly. The staff was extremely friendly and provided directions through the hotel with Ease. Our room was a very good size. We stayed in a premiere city view. We didn't have much of a view but honestly we weren't looking for one. The bathroom was of great size with a huge shower! LOVED the bathroom. LOVED the bed. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have stayed in. Coffee was available via the Keurig which was excellent. The location rocked. Right off the river and pretty central to the city. We did not eat or drink at the hotel. The only reason this hotel didn't get an excellent rating from me was because their lack or size lobby/pool/. I know that sounds kind of crappy of me but I felt cramped with everyone checking in or out along with the bell men. Great for business travel. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This isn't our first time visiting the 71 and it won't be our last.

The location is ideal, and the price can't be beat. We have always found the staff to be friendly and attentive. I travel regularly for work, and I'm picky about the type of bed I sleep in. The 71 has incredibly comfortable beds.

While the fitness room is great, it does lack a pool.

All said the 71 is one of my favorite Chicago hotels.

Room Tip: River view has floor to ceiling (almost) windows. The city view rooms are nice too. Higher is bett...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple