“Pleasantly surprised”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #68 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My trip to Chicago started a day earlier than I had booked another hotel for, so I booked at Hotel 71 for my first night. After stepping into my room, I immediately canceled my reservation for the next two days at the other hotel and extended my stay at Hotel 71. That was before I even visited the fitness center, which is nearly as spacious as some gyms I've been to. Great value, location, service (from Anthony and Ben).

Room Tip: Junior suite is a great value.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Matthew P
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Comments such as yours make my day. Thank you! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed using the 24-hour fitness center. The fitness studio was recently added to the hotel as part of our $20 million renovation, and if you enjoy doing cardio, you probably enjoyed the fantastic river view. I don't think I'll ever tire of the view.

We are currently building out our Riverside Spa Suite, which will open shortly, so private massages and spa services can be arranged. Perhaps the next time you're in Chicago, you can indulge in one of our new services.

Again...thank you for your comments. They are truly appreciated.

Best regards,
Steve Shern
Hotel 71 Chicago

Reviewed 3 April 2012

The room for some reason surprised me given it is a 3.5 star hotel. It was very comfortable. I had requested a premium city view King room. It had lots of mirrors, lots of lights, lots of electrical outlets, a very comfortable bed with nice linens, and a large bathroom (shower only). It was ideal size, layout, and perfectly furnished for a one week trip on business.
Beware it does not have an inroom safe, so no storing a laptop or other valuables. Also, no honour bar, so bring your own snacks (there was an empty fridge to store)! And most strangely, when I called down for room service, they told me I didn't have the right menu?! That was frustrating and turned me off room service!... so somewhat disorganized in that dept.
I booked the city view because for me it wasn't worth paying for a view of the river. However, what they don't tell you, is that it's worth paying for the river for another reason....... if you have the 'city view' then you may back onto the alley where about 15 different garbage trucks roll through each night emptying dumpsters... On the 9th floor, it's extremely loud. If you don't like listening to garbage trucks at night - pay for the view!
Other than that the hotel was nice. I didn't have much interaction with the staff at all. The gym is overly adequate for a 3.5 star hotel or any hotel for that matter - a variety of equipment, mirrors, towels, and a view of the river.
I'd stay again, but I'd pay the premium for the river view....... my guess is that facing Wacker is quieter than facing the alley!

Room Tip: to avoid the sound of trucks emptying dumpsters in the alley all night, opt for the river view!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Our group of four stayed at Hotel 71 for St. Patrick's Day weekend. We chose Hotel 71 based on the positive TA reviews, location, and cost.

Upon check-in, reception was friendly. I arrived at 10:00am and was able to check-in early. Since we were arriving at different times, my friends were given keys to the room upon their arrival. Unfortunately, due to the St. Patty's Day festivities, riverview rooms were not available. Regardless, from the 32nd floor, our view of the city was amazing. As mentioned in previous reviews, the room was huge. Upon our request, housekeeping quickly provided extra towels, glasses, and coffee cups.

While we didn't spend much time in the room, our stay was comfortable. The hotel is in a great location. The Magnificent Mile is within walking distance. Lots of great stores and restaurants in the area. BTW-Sweetwater Tavern and Grill is amazing!

Check-out is normally at noon. Since several of us were running in the Get Lucky marathon, we asked for a late check-out. We were given until 12:30 to check-out.

For a quick getaway, our stay was fine. Just a warning: The elevator was a bit slow.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Enjoyed our stay at hoyel 71 - an older hotel - but with that comes massive rooms.

the location is fantastic. very central and close to everything you would want - amd the bar downstairs has great doos and service.

Staff were verry helpfull and attentive.

Beds and pillows were very comfy.

A few oddities;
* No safe in the room - theres one downstairs in the recpetion for guest to use.
* No bar fridge in the rooms - so while theres tea and coffe facilities you need to send down and pay $8 for some milk to be delivered via roomservice if you like white tea/coffee..

Overall an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Went for a weekend getaway in Chicago and stayed at Hotel 71. Great hotel, good rate- went during low travel time but good rate none the less. Decent view from the large window and we didn't go for the riverview which I'm sure is better. Room was spacious, staff were awesome- very helpfull to us out-of-towners. Hotel is nicely loctated in downtown Chicago, we walked to many places even in the winter. I would go back there

Room Tip: The room we had was nice with a good view-32nd floor. The riverview is better but we didn't plan...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Awesome location. within walking distance to everything..... Clean, spacious rooms. I had no view, was on the 14th floor.. Had a view of building behind it... And it didnt make a bit of differance to me.. You are there to sleep, shower etc etc... I had a junior suite, and when i walked in thought i had wrong room, but then you turn a corner and there was a good size room with pull out sofa,,, both rooms had big flat screen tvs... Called for linens at 130 am and they shot them right up.. Check in was a breeze... we got there about 1030 in the morning, and check in isnt until 330... doorman told us to try and he was right.. We got right in... awesome hotel and highly recomend....

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed here St Pats weekend and its a very hotel with a great location on the river, near Millennium Park and walking distance to lots of great spots downtown

Room Tip: They have a variety of room options, lower priced options include city view, they also offer river v...