“Decent stay for the price.”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #64 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
cleveland, ohio
“Decent stay for the price.”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My daughter and I were in Chicago in late March to visit Northwestern and enjoy a spring get-a-way for a couple of days. We got a good rate - around $155.00 per night ( make sure you call hotel and ask about special rates and packages, I never just book online - I always call ) Hotel 71 was excellently located for us : near the train ( the EL ) , great shopping opportunities and restaurants. We could walk or ride train to all our destinations, with no problem . Room was clean and comfortable and good deal for the price. Biggest glitch was bathroom door did not shut easily- perhaps needed hinge adjustment for alignment. We had a great view- we had a corner room on a high floor ( tip I got reading other reviews on tripadvisor) . Sneak up to the banquet room area on top floor for even better views!! We had dinner one night at the hotel restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Hotel staff was also very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hoysCleveland_Ohio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tallmadge, Ohio
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Hotel 71 is in the heart of downtown Chicago within walking distance to most major downtown locations. The staff, especially the front daek staff and reservation staff were great...efficient and friendly. The rooms are spacious for a metro hotel and there are great restaurants within walking distance. The rooms overlooking the river offer a remarkable view. Hotel 71 offers everything that the bigger name hotel promote at a veryreasonable price.

Room Tip: River view rooms are a must.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 25 April 2012

They bill themselves as a boutique hotel and while the lobby and restaurant were nice, the room lacked overall charm. The hotel IS affordable and has a great view of the river. The location certainly cannot be beat! The service is definitely lacking in the hotel and restaurant and our room was a little strange. The bed skirt was dirty which made me flinch and there was a room in the corner that was a bit out of place. It was cut off by a wall and had only a dresser in it and a Keurig coffee maker. No mini fridge, which isn't a big deal, just surprising in this type of hotel it wasn't there. The bathrooms were huge and pleasant. If they hadn't billed themselves as a boutique hotel I would have been pleasantly surprised, but I guess I was expecting more.

Room Tip: Of course go for the River View!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 25 April 2012

For $210 per night, in a city with many, many choices, I was really disappointed with Hotel 71. Here were the good points: Great view from my 32nd floor room which was large. Here were all he negatives: hallway had a really unpleasant, musty, moldy smell due to a water pipe break from the past weekend. They had fans going, but the smell was really unpleasant. I was told that most of the floors have this issue with no apology. I was late getting to my appointments so I had no time to argue. Also, the hotel is due for an overhaul . In my bathtub, the drain stopper did not work so no baths, just showers. Also the shower gauge for hot to cold was falling off. AC was on high, the temperature outside was only about 65, but due to the exposure and corner location the run heated up the room to where is was overly warm. When I ordered room service for dinner, I told the room service attendant on the phone that I would like to use the $10 coupon I was given that clearly states on the coupon that it can be used for room service. This attendant told me I cannot use if for room service, it is just for dining in the restaurant. After I explained the coupon, he said, "I have to check with my manager". The manager did call me shortly after, apologizing for the staff member who gave me the wrong info. This manager was the ONLY employee at this hotel that seemed to have any understanding of customer service and offered to comp my cheeseburger. My salute to him, but too many other issues, stated above, would take this hotel off my list for future visits. It is a shame, because the location is good and the structure itself is nice. After some room renovation and customer service training to the staff, it could be a good choice. Last month I stayed at the Public (formerly the Ambassador East). Fantastic hotel! I will stay there next time I am in Chicago

Room Tip: Corner rooms facing the river have great views, but may get really hot because their current AC cann...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PacHeightsTraveler
Chicago
Reviewed 24 April 2012

For a hotel whose public rooms have obviously been recently renovated it is a pity the guest rooms didn't get a similar treatment!
My bath tub looks as if it was re-enameled 10 years ago (badly) and now that coating is all flaking off. The grout and the caulking around the tub are also looking very tired and everything in there just looks to be dated and tired.
If you are going to try and do work using the hotel's Wi-Fi don't count on being able to download anything - it is slower than dial-up at best!

On the plus side the location is great, staff friendly and helpful and the beds are comfortable, hence the average rating.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I had never heard of Hotel 71 so when I had to make a decision about where to stay, I relied on my friend's advice and the reviews I read on tripadvisor and elsewhere and all of them proved to be true.
This is indeed a very nice hotel, very reasonably priced, friendly staff and prefect location. We could walk to most major sites of Chicago and stations for public transportation were just around the corner.
Rooms were very spacious and clean. As other reviewers have mentioned, we had originally booked a room with a King bed and city view but when we arrived, we asked to upgrade to a room with two queen beds and a river view on higher floors and the friendly staff cordially accommodated us with no extra charge. The room had a wonderful view of the river and the surrounding buildings.
We had a late night incident with a noisy neighbor and when we called the front desk, they immediately took care of it. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrades to higher floors and view of the river.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
atlanta
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our first trip to Chicago. The hotel is located in the perfect downtown location. The view from our room was beautiful. The front desk staff was very friendly and always greeted us with smiles. Would definitely stay here again. Great value.

• Stayed April 2012